• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

December 7. 1941

Posted by TempleOfTheForbiddenEye:

"A date which will live an infamy"
    -President Roosevelt

It was 66 years ago that the Pearl Harbor Naval Base in Hawaii was attacked by Japanese Forces in World War II.

The attack left devestating results

Battleships: 2 sunk, 6 damaged
    Cruisers: 3 damaged
    Destroyers: 2 sunk, 1 damaged
    Other ships: 1 sunk, 3 damaged
    Aircraft: 188 destroyed, 155 damaged
    Military: 2,345 killed, 1,247 wounded
    Civilians: 57 killed, 35 wounded

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Decembe 7. 1941

These are men that served in Pearl Harbor during the attack. They meet once a month at one of the guy's houses. I want to say Jesse's (the taller man in the picture) has a lot of stuff from pictures to friends dog tags... It's really interesting to look at. But they've been meeting for 60 years, all live in San Diego. The reason why they were there was the USS Pearl Harbor came into dock/harbor and everytime it does they welcome it in.

See!

We have Pearl, which is named after the big boat (they built a giant garden at the guide dog center.), so she goes to welcome the boat.

This is our friend the Chaplain (sp?) of the boat. This is him with Woody, really cool Pearl Harbor vet, and Pearl (in the back), Bobby in the front.

My grandpa defended Pearl Harbor post attack, and when we found out we were getting Pearl, it was creepy. And my grandpa was in the Navy....

Thought I'd share those pictures. It's weird because you kinda' look at Pearl Harbor happening so long ago and then you meet the vets from it and they're just like you.

• For You!

Thanks for the reminder - and the pictures!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Thanks for the post Dan. This date seems to slip further from our minds just like Sept 11. Wonderful pictures kniittingknerd. These men are rare.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

The quote from FDR went through my mind this morning as I moved my date block to Dec. 7.

Thanks for those great pictures. It is good to see these heroes.

• Former Cast Member

This is a day we cannot ever forget. What a tragic waste of lives from an unrelenting and aggressive foe, who had their desire of world domination. I remember reading that one of the Japaneses commanders said, was that all we did was awake a sleeping giant and in fact they did, because the rest is history as to what we did for retribution against that evil empire. You don't mess with the United States military and its firepower and weaponry. My hat continues to go off in salute to all those vets who were there, fighting to make this world free and protect our way of life. Without them, who knows what could have happened if these tyrants won out. May all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice continue to rest in peace, in the arms of the lord.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: December 7. 1941

Yep, it is sad to see folks forgetting what today's date is about in history.

I watched the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! earlier today.

Thankfully someone in cable TV programming thought to include it in today's TV schedule.

But I'm sure that someone, somewhere will write a letter complaining that the movie is no longer PC to show, since the spineless sneak attack occurred 66 years ago.

Like we should all have forgotten about it by now right? Yeah, right...

I salute the Hero's of Pearl and all other Hero's that devote a part of, if not their entire, life to serving their country.

• Winter in Oceanside...

For some reason I always remember Pearl Harbor Day.

Seriously... I've been to the Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor quite a few times, and it is always moving.

• Down Pluto!

22 years ago today - My son was born.

I'll never forget Pearl Harbor day either, and "A date which will live an infamy" - means something additional to me now. A friend of ours also born on the 7th invited us over for a birthday party. He had a wonderful cake with Kamikaze planes and sinking battleships (his wife is an artiste!). Knowing it was my son's 8th birthday as well, when it came time to cut the cake, he told my son about the significance of "A date which will live an infamy", and what this day means to him and his WWII veteran father. He pulled off the ships and planes one-by-one while telling the story, and gave them to my son.

It made such an impact on my son, he still remembers that event to this day and can nearly duplicate the story. He still has the ships and planes in a box stored away...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Ironically, Pearl Harbor was attacked on a Friday 66 years ago. Tomorrow, Sunday, two days after we were attacked, is the 66th anniversary of our entry into WWII.

• Sock Puppet

We will never forget. WE have to remember these dates like pearl harbor and september 11. We cannot forgot the people who died during these terrible events and we must remember why it happened and what we did in effect to these events that changed history. i will always remember Pearl Harbor anniversary because my birthday is on the 9th and i just remembered that we entered WW2 on the 9th another reason why i won't forgot the date in which we will live in infamy. NEVER FORGET

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    22 years ago today - My son was born.

I'll never forget Pearl Harbor day either, and "A date which will live an infamy" - means something additional to me now. A friend of ours also born on the 7th invited us over for a birthday party. He had a wonderful cake with Kamikaze planes and sinking battleships (his wife is an artiste!). Knowing it was my son's 8th birthday as well, when it came time to cut the cake, he told my son about the significance of "A date which will live an infamy", and what this day means to him and his WWII veteran father. He pulled off the ships and planes one-by-one while telling the story, and gave them to my son.

It made such an impact on my son, he still remembers that event to this day and can nearly duplicate the story. He still has the ships and planes in a box stored away...

What a touching story! What a wonderful memory for your son.