• Mischievous Mouse

Are men or women harder on cars?

I found this article in my local paper her to be very amusing and interesting and I thought I would share it with my MC friends.

Car Talk: Are men or women harder on cars? Let's take a look ...

By TOM AND RAY MAGLIOZZI
    SYNDICATED COLUMNISTS
    Dear Tom and Ray: My dad was the kind of man who seemed to know about everything mechanical. Since he died, I miss being able to call and ask him some obscure question that he could answer; he really did seem to know everything. The other day, I realized that reading your column is the closest thing I've had to having my dad here for a resource. So, thanks for your humor and the information. My question: In your years of experience, who would you say is harder on a car -- men or women? I know what my dad would say; what do you say? -- Theresa
    Tom: It's hard to answer this question without resorting to gross generalizations, Theresa. Which we're happy to do. So here goes:
    Ray: Our theory is that men's relationships with cars are like women's relationships with men.
    Tom: Look at the similarities. Is a man content to simply "have" a car? No. He has to be in constant communication with his vehicle so he always knows how it's feeling. He needs to know where he stands with the car. He likes to open the hood, look around, check the levels. He wants to know when something is wrong. He may even "sense" a problem before it's obvious. Then he'll want to "deal with it" right away, so it doesn't fester.
    Ray: This essentially describes a woman's relationship with the man in her life, doesn't it?
    Tom: And how does a woman treat her car? To most women, the car originally was selected because it was cute and the right size. What does she require after that? That it start. That's about it. The fact that the car is still there in the morning and starts up for her that day is good enough. If there's a little hiccup ... a little blue smoke, a little hesitation, a wobble in the front end, why worry about it? And if it gets so bad that the car stops running, she'll worry about it then. Otherwise, she'll ignore it and hope it goes away.
    Ray: This is how men are in human relationships. Am I right, ladies?
    Tom: Are we in trouble yet?
    Ray: Oh, no. Keep digging.
    Tom: Well, our relationship analysis would suggest that women are harder on cars than men, because they're not as aware of problems in their early stages, when they might be cheaper to fix.
    Ray: But then you have to factor in the basic nature of men and women. Women, by their very nature, are gentler and less aggressive. That would suggest they're easier on cars.
    Tom: While men are animals. We stomp on the gas, jam on the brakes, swerve between lanes and whack things when they don't work.
    Ray: So who's harder on cars?
    Tom: I don't know. But I know we just gave every man in America an opening to say, "You know, hon, if you paid half as much attention to your car as you do to our relationship, you'd never run it out of oil again."
    Ray: And we've given every woman in America an opening to say, "You know, if you were half as sensitive to my needs as you are to your car's, I'd never have to ask you for anything again."
    Tom: So, we've either solved the world's most pressing problems or started World War III.

Source of article

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Re: Are men or women harder on cars?

Ahhh. Gotta love the Car Talk.

I service my car when it needs it...but I'll admit it...I'm a gas-stomper and a brake-jammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Senior Minion

In my family, that is the honest truth.

Yes, I love my little car, but I don't care about fancy features, as long as it runs, has heat and air, and has a radio, i'm good.

I try to check the fluid levels in my car once a month, but most of the time I forget.

As far as cleaning it goes, usually once in the summer i'll wash and wax it and that's it. If I have money to burn, i'll take it to a car wash.

But if I think something is wrong with my car, i'll tell my dad about it and his first reaction is that i'm full of hot air, until about a few weeks later when he needs to check something on my car and hears the same problem, then he'll believe me.
    Last edited by Joshrzmeup; 12-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

I love my car and make sure it is always running properly. It takes me about two hours to wash my car because I start by cleaning the interior, then go under the hood and check that all my fluids are ok ... and then I dust and clean the whole engine too as best as I can. Once all that is done I wash the car. I take it to get checked every few months as well.

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    Ahhh. Gotta love the Car Talk.

I service my car when it needs it...but I'll admit it...I'm a gas-stomper and a brake-jammer.
    Tom and Ray are great.

So is my wife and it scares the crap out of me when I ride with her. I don't even want to get into the driving over the curb or lane changing without signaling - note, no generalization here just stating that my wife is a horrible driver.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

My husband is the one that doesn't signal and he always weaves in-and-out of traffic. I am a tailgater, though. But that's unavoidable...people just don't drive fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Tom and Ray have me pegged to a T. If I ignore that crazy sound coming out of the engine it might go away, that lovely smoke coming out of the end just signals everyone to be careful behind me and to quit tailgating, Aristocat, you lil devil.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    people just don't drive fast enough.
    I so agree with this!!

I drive like crap, but don't tell my wife that she's right. I'll never live it down!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Looks 50/50 here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I am totally the reverse. I don't know very much about my car but a sound I FREAK. If I feel anything wrong. I pull over and call Dad. And usually he's like "Kim, keep driving." I give people a lot of space on the roads, kinda' hate driving in LA because the lanes are soooo narrow, signal all the time, etc. The only time I'm not that way is when I have to drive to work (which isn't happening right now!) and for some reason Rim High School decides it's going to do drivers ed during the day and they are going 10mph on a perfect weather day...

My one bad: I accidentally didn't realize that when you park on a hill you have to put your car into first and then the E brake up on my driveway.... I had done it a million times before just in neutral (because my dad told me to). It rolled down my driveway. My bumper is "pretty."