•   

Calling all MC photographers - opinions needed please.

Howdy.

Last week I decided to duplicate my most recent MVMCP post on another Disney related board. Yesterday I received a post asking if I sold my pictures. The poster stated that he/she would like to have 10 or so framed for his/her home or office. I realize that it could be a bogus post, but if it is not, some major questions have been raised, and I would greatly appreciate feedback from some of the other MC regulars who post their pictures.

First, let me say that I am NOT interested in copyright implications. I don't care. If you are going to talk SOLELY about copyright law please do not post in this thread. Again, I don't care.

Second, this is an issue for me because photography at the Disney theme parks is a hobby. When I first started posting my pictures on MiceChat I received numerous requests to take pictures of people and their familiies in the parks. That was easy to say no to since it obviously competes with the PhotoPass service and my original intent was not to make money off of this.

So, here are my questions:
    1. What would you do if someone wanted to pay you for one of your pictures taken on Disney property of Disney attractions.
    2. How much would you charge?
    3. What do you think of a PayPal or Amazon payment logo for each of our threads? We would of course provide a portion of what we make to MiceChat, of course.

It's really late right now, so I'm too tired to post everything that I have been thinking. I would really like to open up a dialogue about this and get opinions on this. If you want to take the coversation private, just PM me and we can exchange ideas that way as well.

You know, my gut instinct is that making money off of Disney is wrong. But, there seem to be many people willing to pay for the pictures I (we) are posting. And, unlike video, where Disney DOES sell a similar product, they don't seem to be selling pictures of their parks like the ones we usually post. I mean, almost every time I go to the parks people ask me if I sell my pictures - honest! I know that there are many people looking at the pictures I take. For example, since the 17th of November, I have over 160,000 hits on the pictures I posted. In May, for the Pirates Premiere, the counter almost hit 1,000,000 (it reached over 997,000). While it seems wrong to make money, it also seems wrong to ignore this.

So, again, please let me know what you think.

•   

Re: Calling all MC photographers - opinions needed please.

I also remembered that most, if not all, of the photo hosting sites will allow anyone to make their own prints. Why should we not share in this revenue instead of letting the photo hosting site keep it all?

• See you there!

1. I really think you may need more legal advice than you can get here. Most opinions here are just opinions.

2. You make some compelling arguments, and I persoanlly see no harm in selling the photos! I say great, make some money off hobby!

3. You really need some solid legal advice, the venture has the potential to cost you more in legal fees to Disney than you could make.

4. Good luck! I do hope that you can sell the prints and make a few $$'s

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Down Pluto!

If you took the photo, you own the copyright (regardless of subject) to your photo. This means you can sell prints for whatever... but that is another discussion.

Is the client expecting matted and framed work, or just prints. If just prints, what size?

Quality matting and framing is not cheap, and doing that should reflect cost plus your labor. Similar for just prints. The cost should reflect your labor, as I assume you will be taking them somewhere to be printed. There is a cost in transportation and time to get there, get prints, package and ship.

What is your time worth to you?

Payment - I prefer paypal for online transactions as I know when the money is in my account. Then I ship.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

If people are willing to purchase them, sell 'em.

The legality of the whole thing is a non-issue, as long as you aren't selling print-quality photos of art work that is sold at the stores.

I use flickr to host all of my "good" shots. I know it offers prints if people want them, but I don't think I would get a cut of that - it all goes back into flickr's pocket. If you're really interested in this, perhaps you should talk to a print shop in your area and look into the cost of getting professional quality prints done, and then open up a portfolio web site where you could sell your prints. I'm not sure if you have any experience with HTML and web site development, but a simple, basic site would be easy to build and you can just use Paypal to sell your stuff.

If people are interested in purchasing your photos, I think its a good idea. Of course, you'll have to ensure that they don't re-sell them or make duplicate copies. I'm not sure what would need to be done to protect your work, but thats all legal stuff that you didn't want to discuss here.

I say go for it. If it can make you a little sidecash, then why not? Your photos are always spectacular, and I'm sure there enough people within the online Disney community would probably like to own prints.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• decorating

So, here are my questions:
    1. What would you do if someone wanted to pay you for one of your pictures taken on Disney property of Disney attractions.
    2. How much would you charge?
    3. What do you think of a PayPal or Amazon payment logo for each of our threads? We would of course provide a portion of what we make to MiceChat, of course.
    1. I would consider exchanging favors rather than selling the pictures outright.
    You would have to get D-land permission to officialy be able to sell them.Technically, you were on private property. I wouldn't sell any, because I understand and respect copyright law.
    I know exactly how much someone can get screwed by people not following it.

2. Working for a photo printing business, you charge three times the cost of the picture. That includes processing and any fees, (you could include the cost of admission.)
    3. I have no idea on that one. Don't do online retail

•   

Wow!

I really appreciate the positive feedback I have received so far. Thanks to everyone for your opinions and help.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I've given permission and have sent higher resolution shots to some folks here on Micechat, but I by no means consider myself a professional. I think paypal would work well, though, as it is extremely easy and convenient to use. I know that Darkbeer uses Smugmug to post his shots, and I think there is a mechanism already in place for people to buy shots and be charged....possibly through paypal.

Matt - If it is a series of shots that they want to purchase, I see nothing wrong with selling them for what you think would be fair. I wish I could be more help, but I have no idea as to the legality of selling shots of the castle, Fantasmic, etc, etc. Are these items the intellectual property of Disney? Once someone starts making a profit, will Disney sit up and take notice? If you had the world's best shot of castle fireworks and suddenly your work showed up in galleries across the country, could Disney come after you for a cut, or shut you down and claim some type of copyright infringement? I really have no clue.

But until that happens, I think if someone wants to pay you for it, go right ahead. No one has come after Darkbeer and he's been up on smugmug for quite some time now. You might send him a pm as I think he would be much more informative as he has Disney press credentials AND is occasionally selling shots via smugmug.

•   

Thanks again for the info.

•   

You guys rock! SmugMug wins by a landslide. Thanks again to everyone.

• Neep meep beep

Matt:

Earlier this year, I was approached by the Associated Press, who wanted to purchase a photograph that I took in another theme park for use in a story. They had me sign a certification that I had not altered the photo in any way, a license agreement, and paid me just over $40.00.

Photographers of all types - whether they sell photos of kids participating in athletic sports, or wedding photographs - charge a fee based upon their cost and a profit markup to sell to the client. I don't see how what you propose to do would be any different.

Take it as a compliment - it means your work is really great!

• Super Genius

As for how much you should charge that's a good question. I had someone offer to pay me to photograph her wedding (I couldn't do it because of schedule conflict) and I had no idea what I should have charged had I been able to accept the job.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.