Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

DORK ALERT: Tallest Building in US Proposal in Chicago

This one's for you BarbaraAnn.......

As some of you may have heard, the great architect Santiago Calatrava has designed what is to be the tallest building in the US...actually, in the Western Hemisphere. The official announcement isn't going to be until, tomorrow. But, news of the gorgeous building said to be inspired by a unicorn is spreading like wildfire around the world.

First of all, let me show you what beauty this man creates in his work. This work of art(at the Milwaukee Museum of Art) was my first experience with him.

Some of you may remember the flowing lines of the stadiums in the 2004 Athens Olympics. Those were the work of Calatrava as well.

Now, he has proposed a 2,000ft 115 story masterpiece on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, IL. It is, as previously mentioned, said to be inspired by a unicorn and is exciting to skyscraper enthusiasts(like myself) around the nation and the world as the return of the "supertall"(no explanation needed!). Many thought that the "supertall" would be dead after 9/11 especially in the United States. But, tomorrow the proposal to build this gorgeous masterpiece will truly inspire. Here are some pictures I have seen of this proposal. These pictures are not official nor are they in any way the final draft. They are just the proposal pictures. Hope you like!

• Minion

Re: DORK ALERT: Tallest Building in US Proposal in Chicago

that's a gorgeous building! i don't know much about architecture, but i can see why you love it so, it's truly breathtaking! it's announced tomorrow you say? i can't wait till it's built. another reason i want to visit chicago!
    please be afraid.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

That is a rather unique building, I'm sure it will go through changes during the planning stages, much like the Freedom Tower has so far. I'm not sure how I feel about it, it definitely stands out architecturally from the rest of the Chicago skyline. From the looks of the pictures it will be located near Navy Pier, so I can see the fun festive influence of the pier echoing in the building. I do like how it looks at night in the drawings moreso than the daytime. Though, personally I love seeing how buildings are illuminated at night. I look forward to hearing more, as I love tall buildings as a former architect wannabe and a son of an architect

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• insufferable know-it-all

As long as this isn't the guy that designed that terminal at CDG The building looks great.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    As long as this isn't the guy that designed that terminal at CDG The building looks great.

LOL!

I love this guys work and this is NOT a dork alert thread, its an architecture thread and architecture is a part of my daily workload!!

• Having a Grand Day!

I love it! Should look good lit up at Night! It's verry slender!

On another note I might be hijacking but...

Speaking of beautiful buildings have any of you seen the work of Renzo Piano?

Does anybody else have some favorite architects? (Note if you live in Sydney you will know Harry Seidler... :x)

Some other favorites of mine are Lord Norman Foster, Ken Patterson Fox and Jorn Utzon.

I'm a bit of an arctiecture geek. Esp. when I have 5 different proposals to develop the building across the road from work...
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 07-27-2005 at 12:10 AM.

• Banned User

Brilliant design... I wonder what he has designed for the interior as in safety systems and such.... and how it will be constructed....

Not dork alert... architect alert.. (I can do rough sketches.. but anything after that i cannot do....)

• Minion

I LOVE Gaudi too! Check out some of his stuff. He is AMAZING!!! Very different, that's for sure!

• For old time sake

Ok, am I going to get for not liking it? I love modern buildings, but I dunno about this one!!!!! It kinda looks out of place in Chicago. But like Anders said it will go through some changes no doubt!!!!

On the subject of tall buildings...yea here's a tall one. I never knew it existed until I started dating Derek. This is located in the City he grew up in:
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Here's an article on CNN.com about the article Tower

personally I love the quote from the city development and planning office.

"We saw the plan and we'll consider it," said Connie Buscemi, a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Planning and Development.
    as far as other architects. I've always been influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. I know his work is a major influence on my dad and something about his style just works for me. Plus I'm a midwesterner like Wright and have actually been to the world's only Frank Lloyd Wright service station.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• ...or just Tonny

Tall towers are awesome. But, is this another one with a spire? Honestly, I think it is very dubious to get the "tallest tower in the world" title with a spire that nobody can climb, like in NY...
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Here's an article on CNN.com about the article Tower

personally I love the quote from the city development and planning office.

as far as other architects. I've always been influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. I know his work is a major influence on my dad and something about his style just works for me. Plus I'm a midwesterner like Wright and have actually been to the world's only Frank Lloyd Wright service station.
    Frank Lloyd Wright has been getting some attention here in Milwaukee recently as some of the homes he designed are being put before the city to be restored. Also, we have a Greek Orthodox Church designed by him that is home to our annual Greek Festival. It's a beautiful church!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Wow, I love it....................but it is so freaking close to a major Airport(about 10 seconds from takeoff)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Wright (Frank Lloyd and Lloyd), Gehry, IM Pei, Eric Owen Moss, to name a few, are my faves.

Cant wait to see what Gehry has cooked up for the newest LA skyscraper to be built along Grand Ave.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut

Cant wait to see what Gehry has cooked up for the newest LA skyscraper to be built along Grand Ave.
    I haven't heard anything about that project, that will be interesting to see what his designs are for that.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast