Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horrid books?

• Minion

horrid books?

right now i am reading one of the worst books i have ever come across. the title should have given it away, but i was desperate, and it was in a bag of exchange books we circulate in our apartment building. the title is trick me twice.
    anyone else here read a book they disliked violently? post it here!
    please be afraid.

• Minion

Re: horrid books?

Camp and Work In Progress...both books by a Disney fans most favorite person in the world...

Michael Eisner

• Minion

i have thankfully managed to avoid those...i also read one by kay hooper, i can't remember the name, but all i could think was that she needed to stop hurting me with her words
    please be afraid.

• Minion

/\ lol...it seems that you know how to pick out all the winners when it comes to books

• insufferable know-it-all

Generally if I start a book and it's really bad, I'll put it down.

Took me FOREVER to get into The Witching Hour, because for the first half of the book, I kept getting bored and putting it down. Then BAM! the book got good.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

not really, hee hee, that why i was hoping that people would be kind enough to share their books of revulsion...makes me mad to spend the time on something that is just bad. BAD BAD BAD!
    please be afraid.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Generally if I start a book and it's really bad, I'll put it down.

Took me FOREVER to get into The Witching Hour, because for the first half of the book, I kept getting bored and putting it down. Then BAM! the book got good.
    that book ended up being one of my faves! when i went to new orleans this winter, i saw the house that anne rice wrote about in the book, it was just as she wrote, so weird!
    please be afraid.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I'm funny about the books I read. I will read ANYTHING I get my hands on, and I'm oddly reluctant to quit one once I've started, no matter how bad it gets. The last book I couldn't finish was "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" by Christopher Moore. I usually enjoy his books, as they are quite silly and whimsical, but that was one that I just. Couldn't. Finish.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    I'm funny about the books I read. I will read ANYTHING I get my hands on, and I'm oddly reluctant to quit one once I've started, no matter how bad it gets. The last book I couldn't finish was "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" by Christopher Moore. I usually enjoy his books, as they are quite silly and whimsical, but that was one that I just. Couldn't. Finish.
    well, with a title like that! i haven't heard of that writer. i will usually read it even if it will kill me. i got really upset with the last couple of cornwell books i read. it's like she had her housekeeper write them instead. i wanted patricia cornwell to reimburse me the time and money i spent!
    please be afraid.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Double post!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Same as sunnygirl, I just can't NOT read what I started.

The worst book I've EVER read is called "A Thing About Curtis and Camilla" by Nick Fowler. Don't even ask what it was about... this guy metts a girl and stuff happens but it didn't make much sense and the writing style was horrendous.

Lesson learned: Don't buy books from the 99 cent store!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Functional & Decorative

The best worst book I've ever read was an obscure find in an Arizona used bookstore called Fatal Love by Brian Stewart. It was like a book version of a car accident... it was so horrible, but I couldn't put it down. It was a very religious book (which you cannot tell from the cover... the back talks about a story of "non-stop action") about a virtural reality game that was coverting good Christains to Satan. Seriously. Oddly enough, they don't refer to God as much as "the Mighty One." And "the Mighty One" is mentioned on almost literally every page--how desparate is this guy trying to convert us?

Admist all this Godliness, there is a huge gay sub-plot, and it is none to clear whether the author is for or against homosexuality (although I think ultimately against--a few key gay characters die pretty horribly, clearly because "the Mighty One" doesn't approve, and thus get what they deserve ). There are lots of graphic, violent, and suprising deaths that happen at random times to random people. You also get to hear commentary about this epic battle of good n' evil via virtual reality computer game from the point of view of various angles & demons, with fantastical names such as Kinsuyundo, Reysore, and Ghopu, to name but a few. They have involved conversations about how they (the angles & demons) are influencing us poor humans on earth, and who has the strongest spirts that can be overcome. (To me, it all sort of sounded like a parent re-explaining the story to a child, but whatever.) At some point, there is a lion chase in a jungle (don't ask), and the chase is told from the lion's point of view. Incredible.

Did I also mention there were grammatical & spelling errors all the way through, as well as two illustrations of apparent demons & angels that are never referrenced by the book at all, just randomly placed throughout the book. As a final coup de grace, there is a photo of the this "Mighty One"-loving author on the inside back cover--holding a rifle. Now that's a good Christian!

Greatest book I've ever read in my life. It has to be read to be believed. I would almost suggest you buy it (it's available at Amazon.com)... but I kinda don't think we should be giving this guy any more money, lest he buy more rifles in the name of "the Mightly One."
    Last edited by JesterMn; 07-26-2005 at 07:11 PM.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Another really bad book I've had the sad misfortune to waste my time on was the last book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I really loved those books, all of them, up til the last one. When I got to the last page I was so disgusted with the ending that I literally tossed the book across my room and yelled.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

ok jester, now i have to read THAT one!

sunny, i have been reading the dark tower , but not the last one, i have to just because, it sure sucks to hear it a pooper!
    please be afraid.

• My cuties!

i got really upset with the last couple of cornwell books i read. it's like she had her housekeeper write them instead. i wanted patricia cornwell to reimburse me the time and money i spent!
    I couldn't agree more!!! Her first ones were sooo good and the last couple have been horrid!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast