• Minion

Blockbuster Online is Having Another Price Hike..

Just got this email...

Quote Originally Posted by Blockbuster Online
    As a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™ subscriber, it's always easy to have the right movie during this holiday season with more than 75,000 titles, including great new releases like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

We know that during this busy time of year the convenience of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is especially important to you. Have your movies delivered right to your door. If you want new movies right away, exchange in-store*. And with free shipping both ways and no late fees, it's easy to enjoy all the movies you want for as long as you want.

To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment† will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your subscription plan will remain the same.

And now check out blockbuster.com where you can view exclusive footage from The Great Debaters, the much anticipated new movie starring Denzel Washington that opens in theaters on Christmas Day. This is just another example of how BLOCKBUSTER® is working to bring you exciting new entertainment features.

There are plenty of long winter nights ahead, so make sure that your Queue is filled with all the movies you want to watch next including new movie releases coming in January 2008, such as 3:10 to Yuma, The Game Plan and Saw IV.

Thanks for continuing to be a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscriber. It truly is the best entertainment value out there.
    BLOCKBUSTER
    Ok, I've been biased towards Movie Rental places since I used to work for Blockbuster, but up until recently, it was a no brainer. The Blockbuster Online program was the same price as Netflix for DOUBLE the movies with other perks on the side!

$17.99 got you:

Unlimited movies sent in the mail, up to 3 at a time
    Unlimited In-Store exchanges
    1 Coupon good for a videogame or movie rental.
    Coupons for discounted movies to purchase in-store
    Discounts on snacks in-store

Then the price crept up and they started taking benefits away.

$17.99 got you:

Unlimited movies sent in the mail, up to 2 at a time
    5 In-Store exchanges

For an upgrade to what the $17.99 plan USED to have, you'd have to pay $24.99. And you lost the free game coupon every month.

Now, for me to get what the original $17.99 price plan offered, my monthly cost goes up to $34.99 a month!!!!

I'm definitely going to be looking into other ways of getting my movie rental fix. I realize Blockbuster is a business, and their offerings were too good to be true for the price, but ugh. That's almost a 100% increase!

• no flash photography...

Re: Blockbuster Online is Having Another Price Hike..

I like netflix. The price has gone down since when I first joined.

• Minion

Netflix's prices are so close to Blockbuster Online... but with no added benefit.

The bread and butter for me was being able to go to the store, get three movies (or Sopranos discs), and watch them while the next 3 came in the mail. At any given time, there was always something to watch.

Netflix can't beat that.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I love how they say they are raising the price $10 but your perks aren't chnging!
    We're not adding anything for $10 BUT be glad and grateful that we're not taking anything away!
    Ugh.
    Business!
    I'm so glad I'm not part of any of those.
    I just watch the movies my roommate gets
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

We have been with Netflix since 2000 and have NEVER had ANY issues with them. Add in new features like FREE on-line movies at anytime and they really are trying to offer more things.

If there is a movie I want to see that day I'll go to Vons and use the DVD play machine. $1.49 for a 1 day rental can't be beat.

As for Netflix prices being close to Blockbuster ... well, not anymore.

We get 4 movies at a time for $20 a month. We got to keep the introductory price we had in 2000 and have NEVER had any increases in 7 years. And in that time the service (movie turnaround) has gotten better. We RARELY (if ever) have to wait more than a day to get the next movie in our queue. In fact, I mailed back a movie on Monday, got the next movie yesterday.

• Clearing my Calendar

Blockbuster's running scared and losing money. Bound to happen sooner or later.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Circle of Ancients

^ I just find it funny when things aren't going well, the answer for most companies (not just Blockbuster) is to raise prices.

• Banned User

I've been with Netflix since they opened and I not only have never had an issue with them, but I've been happy to see the service actually improve and get cheaper! We do three movies at a time and as long as I don't let them sit on the counter after watching them we always have new films to watch. I'm mailing back two today and on Saturday I'll have two Christmas movies in my mailbox for the weekend. Simple and fun. I'd never switch to Blockbuster. More expensive, less service and their lousy stores never have anything good anyways.

• i heart plunging v-necks

i also got the email, but i am on the 2 DVDs at a time plan ($14.99, which they intend on bumping up to a $17.99 fee). buh-bye blockbuster come january 08!

• For You!

I still get 3-4 movies at a time and 2 instore rentals (which we use for video games) - I was paying $17.99 - my e-mail only sent me up to $19.99. I don't know how many instore trade-ins I get, we only use it once or twice a month anyway.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

I love netflix! I did blockbuster but love netflix better. and I am now paying a dollar less then when I started. 3 at a time is what I get.

• no flash photography...

I would never use the "perks" blockbuster offers. I hate going in rental stores and I really don't like blockbuster at all. Even before netflix I chose to rent from anyone except blockbuster.

The last two years my company gave us $50 blokbuster cards for the holiday. They sat unused for almost two years. I finally just let my daughter and her friends buy the prevously viewed movies with them. This year we get chili's cards.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I down-graded my Blockbuster service after the last price increase. We only get one at a time, but I like being able to trade it in at the store. What I really miss is the coupon we used to get every month for an extra in-store movie. It helped to be able to get an extra one for Pixie Kid. Alas, no more coupons.

I have a Netflix account that I use for my Grama in Kansas. When I first wanted to do a gift account, I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I just opened up another Netflix account for her that I pay for.
    <o>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

We can't do Blockbuster here. There's none up here and I never liked them. We had netflicks, but we then switched over to getting all the fancy dancy movie channels. Then Charter got confused by that... so we have the local video store that's within walking distance.