Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Tiger Kills Teen at San Francisco Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Experts have said that a tranquilizer would not have worked nearly fast enough - that it could have taken minutes for it to work.
    I also heard that the SF police were there before the zoo officials/security, and they believed that there were several tigers out and had to do what they had to do to protect everyone else.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I never said that the animals weren't intelligent the same as I never said the kids were. The fact is if the walls had met the minimum requirements, the tiger and the kid would still be alive no matter how stupid he was.

I know you didn't, I was just saying they were.
    That is true though, they would both still be alive.
    Har har har

• Banned User

by the way, do the walls on the tiger enclosure in your zoo meet the minimum requirements?
    I'll try and dig up the original article I saw it in, but I believe that it came to light that our zoo's wall is also a few feet short of the "recommended" height. The tiger pit here is pretty old and may pre-date these height recommendations, too.

Stupity is not reason enough to get killed.
    Therein lies the fundamental disagreement in our opinions. I (and the Darwin Awards) do believe that stupidity is quite a good reason to get killed. Happens all the time, in fact.

I do understand your point, though. I would say that the zoo, or more accurately the exhibit designer, do have some responsibility as far as the habitat's design not adequately protecting the tigers from human stupidity.

• Sock Puppet

I never said that the animals weren't intelligent the same as I never said the kids were. The fact is if the walls had met the minimum requirements, the tiger and the kid would still be alive no matter how stupid he was.

I disagree with you, say you add another four and five to the fence. i am pretty sure the tiger would still be able to leap the fence. Look at how the tiger left from the moat to the fence and over. Big cats like lions and tigers have incredible leaps. I have and read that they have been known to leap over a person 6 feet.

I have and read that they have been known to leap over a person 6 feet.
    Oh good, then they'll jump right over me

• Circle of Ancients

I've never been a big fan of zoos or circuses.

A few years ago, there was a program called "Zoo to You" where zoo animals were taken to schools all over the US and shown to kids at assemblies. When I first heard of it, I thought the animals were going to be in cages, but no. The animals were out of cages. I thought this was crazy.....animals are unpredictable and kids are unpredictable. I did not want my kids attending the assemblies. The second year my kids' school held the assembly, a tiger got loose from its handler and bit down on the head of one of the kindergarteners. The principal of the school had to punch the tiger across the face to get him off the kid and then the kid had to be airlifted to the hospital ....he had serious injuries but not life threatening.

In my opinion, the kids at the the SF zoo did something stupid, but there should not have been a way for them to stand on a fence in the first place....I think there should have been a large fence or cage all around the tigers.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    The principal of the school had to punch the tiger across the face to get him off the kid
    Holy crap! Punched a tiger in the face? That guy may have THE biggest cajones on the planet!

Thank God the kid was safe. I actually love zoos and couldn't support them more, but taking animals like tigers into schools? Yeah, not the brightest idea I've ever heard.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    I disagree with you, say you add another four and five to the fence. i am pretty sure the tiger would still be able to leap the fence. Look at how the tiger left from the moat to the fence and over. Big cats like lions and tigers have incredible leaps. I have and read that they have been known to leap over a person 6 feet.

Now you're just trying to put an immediate answer on an unknown. The truth is, we don't know if the Tiger would / could have jumped it if the wall was regulation height. The FACT is that it was not.

Had the wall been regulation height and the tiger still got out, then hey, lesson learned and the minimum wall requirement shouldn't be the minimum any longer. Too bad both the tiger and idiot kid had to die for it.

It's unfortunate that this case has absolutely nothing right going for it.

-wall was too short
    -teenagers were drunk and high
    -teenagers mauled, one killed
    -endangered tiger shot dead

I'm more upset that the tiger got put down actually. the kid shouldn't have died... and especially not on Christmas. Perhaps the kid got what he deserved but his family sure didn't. They have this awful christmas memory for the rest of their lives.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Proof that natural selection is working as intended. I feel sorry for the family but these morons were victims of their own actions. The problem these days is that nobody wants to take responsibility for themselves. Here we have people making excuses for the kids and blaming the height of the wall. Hello people, common sense much?

You don't taunt a wild animal that can shred you to pieces. It was probably feeling threatened(territorial) and did what comes natural to it. People need to learn that you can't impose your will upon everything on this planet without some consequence.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    I've never been a big fan of zoos or circuses.

In my opinion, the kids at the the SF zoo did something stupid, but there should not have been a way for them to stand on a fence in the first place....I think there should have been a large fence or cage all around the tigers.
    I always hated circuses (or is it circi? ), but one day I was talking to a clown who worked in one (I love saying "So my clown friend" or "I know a clown"). He said the animals get treated really well. Better than performers. But that said still hate circuses. Did your kids see the attack?

It's a bad situation all around. That said maybe there's a lesson learned here. Don't go drinking with your friends and taunt a tiger (oh wait already knew that). Don't stand on a tiger's cage dangling your body in it's cage (oh wait... knew that again). Don't taunt a tiger (common sense...). Okay the lesson here is don't raise an idiot, who does these things.

• Hooterville, USA

I'm sad for the tiger acting like a tiger. I'm not sad for boys acting like idiots.

Too bad the tiger was punished for acting as a normal wild beast that it was.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234