• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remembering Y2K, RIP

It seems as if it were only yesterday, and yet it was now eight years ago.

It thrived in the news and scared some of us to you-know-what in a time before the Supreme Court decided a presidential election, and folks were taking airplanes and purposely flying them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Paul Pressler's plans for the fourth restroom in Tomorrowland?

A valid guess certainly, but no.

Y2K died eight years ago today. Actually, at midnight New Year's morning in each time zone.

For years before that, dire warnings filled the airwaves that when the clock struck midnight 2000, we'd all be returned to raggedy wretches with a carriage of mice and pumpkins a la Cinderella.

It had to do, in simple terms, with the computer chips controlling every aspect of life reading '00' as 1900 instead of 2000. Somehow or other, everything with a computer chip in it or a part of its delivery (meaning most everything made) would simply stop working. Evening that battery bunny was sweating it.

And I remember the millenium shows tracking new year's across the world, and we all crossed fingers to make sure all the lights were working.

So after all these years I still wonder, and maybe yiu too. Did the lights stay on because of a lot of money and research spent to fix the problem, or was it all just an elaborate hoax of some kind?

Or do you even remember, Y2K, which died essentially eight years ago, today.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 12-31-2007 at 12:53 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Remembering Y2K, RIP

Here's what always makes me laugh about Y2k. There were scares that the computer system would just shut down everything when the second hit 2000. I was at a new years party and I went to the circuit breaker and turned the power out at Midnight. Giggling thinking of mass-hysteria, no one got scared at all.

Oh well, with humor nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Minion

The past couple years how flown by so FAST!
    Har har har

• Banned User

oh man, I was so y2k scared I had a whole room dedicated to it. tons of stoargae food, tons of water, pop juice, clothing and again tons of food! gas lamps bedding, so much stuff. I prepared a whole year and I worked hard. it was worth it, I had also a year of food, and extra's I am still using thefood! just opened a 50 pound bucket of wheat the other day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

My parents had all the camping gear along with bottles of water, food, etc. But they wanted to open the NYears with 2000 white mums in the house. So it was very weird...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I never bought into it at all, and I still think it was a hoax. How hard is it to tell that a computer's clock isn't going shut everything down? I'm sure there were dozens of programers who created these machines who knew darned well NOTHING would happen.

Drove me nuts....

• Goofy

who can forget that. besides I didn't really pay attention to the y2k.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I remember the big 'Y2K' scare. In November and December 1999, I remember our funding department at the Mortgage Lender I was working for, was printing up documents that read first payment date of January 1, 1900 and February 1, 1900. So, in some regard, we did experience some strange stuff....but it was nothing catastrophic as I think many thought it could be. Just some computer glitches here and there......

• Infinitized!

If the world didn't come to an end in 2000, apparently it's supposed to in 2012 - according to the Aztecs.

• Banned User

I work for a bank and Y2K was all the rage 8-9 years ago. I was SO glad to be done with it all when we hit 12:01 on January 1, 2000!!!!!!!!!! People were so frantic!

• And, THEN she said...

I remember that! I had the wait and see attitude, however, my roommate freaked out, food under all the beds, deer in the deep freeze, battery operated everything...the best one was we happend to be behind a truck/trailer hauling tobacco that had just come out of the drying barn, and it was dropping it all over the road, since we were both smokers, she had us gathering up tobacco leaves like crazy, we had 5 or 6 garbage bags stuffed full of the stuff!!!

I am so glad it didn't happen....I HATE deer meat and I was not ABOUT to eat possum or squirrel!!! I would have starved to death when the normal food ran out! LOL

• Grumpy old man

It never resonated as a huge deal for me, though I was 12 at the time, so those things never really that huge for you. But no one in my family was really worried about anything happening end of the world wise.

I've always thought of it as a tiny problem in maybe a few programs that got blown out of proportion by a public scared by the "big change".

In fact, for more the Y2K jazz has made me more of a "scrooge" about new year. All it is is an arbitrary rotation of numbers, not a huge deal IMO.

• Beep Beep!

Yes, I was one of those unfortunate who had to be at work at the zero hour "just in case". We'd tested it left and right with no problems but still, I was soooooo glad at 12:01am for it to be over.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert