• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Honorary Hollywood Mayor - Johnny Grant dies

Just heard it on the news. It appears to be breaking news.......he would have been 85 this year.

• Minion

Re: Honorary Hollywood Mayor - Johnny Grant dies

You just beat me to posting.

RIP Johnny.... say hi to Walt.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Johnny Grant had a long and varied career, and in fact he was a pioneer of sorts in Los Angeles radio, at Gene Autry's legendary KMPC.

From his official website biography....

http://www.johnnygrant.com

Grant's legendary accomplishments in Hollywood draw strongly from his roots in radio and television. He was one of the television medium's earliest pioneers and stars. Beginning in 1946, he was host of the game show "Stop the Clock," which aired alternately on Dumont Television in New York City, WBGR-TV, Schenectady, N.Y. and WPTZ-TV, Philadelphia. In 1949, Johnny Grant provided the color commentary to Tom Harmon's play-by-play of Pacific Coast Football games broadcast over one of the first regional TV sports networks. 1950 saw Grant serving as the daytime host for four hours daily on KECA-TV (later to become KABC Television).
    Back to his first love, radio, Grant created and hosted Los Angeles radio station KMPC's "Freeway Club" from 1951 to 1959. He was the first disc jockey in the nation to intersperse regular traffic reports between his records and famous-name guests.

Grant appeared on the NBC Television Network 1953 to 1954 as co-host of "7 to 8," one of the fledgling industry's first infotainment shows immediately preceding "The Today Show" with Dave Garroway on the West Coast.

Johnny Grant was truly a one-of-a-kind.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Goofy

Thats sad a historian veteran passing away.

• Drunk On Disney

I was lucky enough to meet Johnny several times (when attending Walk of Fame ceremonies) and I have rarely met a nicer human being.

It is truly the end of an era.

I always stay at the Roosevelt Hotel when in Hollywood and I always liked the feeling that I just might bump into Johnny (he lived there) when I was in the lobby or restaurant.

If I remember correctly Johnny has two stars on the Walk of Fame... a regular one for Television and an honorary one (for being the honarary mayor and for his work on the Walk of Fame.)

When people ask me what my "dream job" is, I always say "being Johnny Grant."
    Last edited by Guy Hutchinson; 01-11-2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: clarity

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• World Traveler

This is sad news.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Johnny Grant was truly a one-of-a-kind.
    Yes he was.

Rest in Peace Johnny. You will be missed.

• love my friends

WOW.. I must have missed it on the news.. he was a nice nice man.. met him at the hollywood christmas parade twice

Friends for life

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Aw! Well he had a great life!

• Drunk On Disney

Here are some quotes from obituaries I have seen:

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_7938513
    They say he was proud to be the ceremonial mayor of Hollywood, proud of all those photos, covering the walls of his penthouse suite, of him with the biggest stars of the last 50 years and every president of the United States from Dwight D. Eisenhower on.
    Proud of all the plaques, awards and Hollywood memorabilia, including the prototype for the first star on Hollywood Boulevard, crammed into the corner of every room.

The last time Lugo (his former assistant) saw her old boss last week, he told her the same thing he's told her a hundred times over the last 20 years.
    "He took out a cigar and said to me, `If I die today, Jackie, I know I've had a wonderful life.' And he did."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebriefs11.html
    During his 84th birthday last May, Mr. Grant said of all his accomplishments in Hollywood, he was most proud of three things: the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame and the Hollywood postmark.
    "We're not supposed to have one because we're not our own city," he said. "But I got it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...al_legend.html
    There will never be anyone who loved Hollywood as much as he," actress Angie Dickinson told local TV station KCAL.
    Added June Lockhart, "There was no man who was more greatly involved for public relations for Hollywood."

Bespectacled and always beaming, Grant would greet tourists as if they were longlost friends.
    http://www.enews20.com/news_Honorary..._84_05077.html
    The ever smiling mayor received his own star on the Walk of Fame in 1987 in between Zsa Zsa Gabor's and bandleader Glenn Miller's.

In his honour, flowers will be laid on his star on the Walk of Fame, while his ashes will be buried at the renowned Hollywood sign overlooking Los Angeles, according to his wish, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com