• Pilot EdForceOne

Why does the LA Sherrif get to ignore the Courts - Releasing another Actor Early

I don't understand this - a Judge puts someone in jail for breaking probation (meaning, they already got their second chance) explicitly stating they should NOT get early release... yet the LA Sheriff releases someone 17 days into a 6 MONTH sentence. So they serve less then 10% - and get to go home?

The Sheriff gets to just do whatever they want?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080111/...rodriguez_dc_2

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Michelle Rodriguez has been released from jail after serving 17 days of a six-month sentence for probation violation, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept. said on Thursday.

The 29-year-old former star of the TV series "Lost" was freed on Wednesday evening from the Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood, south of downtown Los Angeles.

A judge sentenced Rodriguez in October for violating her probation on previous drunken-driving and hit-and-run offenses, and specified she not be granted work furlough, early release or home confinement. She surrendered on December 23.

"I definitely wouldn't call it unusual," a Sheriff's official said of her early release, noting that factors such as overcrowding and the severity of the crime can come into play.

Rodriguez has had some good luck with the Los Angeles penal system. She was sentenced to 60 days in jail for a probation violation in May 2006, but was released after just four hours and 20 minutes.

Other celebrities including Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton, served a fraction of their sentences last year, raising allegations about preferential treatment. But "24" star Keifer Sutherland began a 48-day term for drunken driving on December 5, and is expected to do the full stretch.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; editing by Todd Eastham)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Why does the LA Sherrif get to ignore the Courts - Releasing another Actor Early

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't understand this - a Judge puts someone in jail for breaking probation (meaning, they already got their second chance) explicitly stating they should NOT get early release... yet the LA Sheriff releases someone 17 days into a 6 MONTH sentence. So they serve less then 10% - and get to go home?

The Sheriff gets to just do whatever they want?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080111/...rodriguez_dc_2
    The truth of the matter is that for the most part the sheriff is in charge of the jail not the judges. There are plenty of rules that allow the sheriff to release people early. The jail system in LA is overcrowded and many non- famous people are released early every day without making a splash in the paper. In fact the judge's order may not be valid because it may violate state law regarding how the jail is run.

Judges in CA have even less say in when a prisoner is released from the Prison system, that system is run by the parole board that does not have to answer to any judge about release date as long as the parole board is following CA law.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Minion

Re: Why does the LA Sherrif get to ignore the Courts - Releasing another Actor Early

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    The truth of the matter is that for the most part the sheriff is in charge of the jail not the judges. There are plenty of rules that allow the sheriff to release people early. The jail system in LA is overcrowded and many non- famous people are released early every day without making a splash in the paper. In fact the judge's order may not be valid because it may violate state law regarding how the jail is run.

Judges in CA have even less say in when a prisoner is released from the Prison system, that system is run by the parole board that does not have to answer to any judge about release date as long as the parole board is following CA law.

Not just LA is overcrowded, tons of jails are over crowded.
    Har har har

• Minion

It doesn't happen just to famous people either.
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Hmmmmm ! What would Maricopa County Arizona's Sherrif Joe Do?!?!?

Build more tent cities! Pink Underwear!! Black and White striped uniforms!!!

Chain Gangs!!!!! yada yada yada . . . .

You need someone like our Sherrif Joe!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post

Is there anything actually concrete in your post?

My original post was not about early release.. or celebs vs others. The fact that the judge in this case explicitly called for no early release - yet they still did. Its like the county making up their own sentencing vs having the judicial branch do it, as they are setup by the state law and constitution. The police do not get to just make up sentences or even decide who gets procescuted. And in this case, someone who's already been CONVICTED.

The Parole board is run by the state - not the LA County Sheriff. And this was a County Jail - not a state prison. So I don't understand your references to the Parole Board at all.

If I were the victim of a crime and watched my perp be sentenced and then let go after a mere FRACTION of their time served - on a whim - I'd be crazy pissed.

I know Cali has a prison/jail crowding issue - maybe they should look at WHY. Obviously going to jail isn't much a deterent anymore... even the ritzy know they'll get out without much of anything.

I wonder if Cali's 'rehab' centers for the rich are just as crowded as the jails are..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Is there anything actually concrete in your post?

My original post was not about early release.. or celebs vs others. The fact that the judge in this case explicitly called for no early release - yet they still did. Its like the county making up their own sentencing vs having the judicial branch do it, as they are setup by the state law and constitution. The police do not get to just make up sentences or even decide who gets procescuted. And in this case, someone who's already been CONVICTED.
    And I was telling you that by state law the sheriff is in charge of when people get released from county jail. The judge sets a maximum only. The sheriff is free to release in order to meet superseding restrictions placed on him and how he runs the jail. The jail has a maximum number of people it hold. The sheriff has complete discretion to release anyone he desires to create more room. He can even release people awaiting trial who have a no bail hold.

The Parole board is run by the state - not the LA County Sheriff. And this was a County Jail - not a state prison. So I don't understand your references to the Parole Board at all.
    I mentioned it only because in California a judge has even less control over minimum time served in a state prison than they do over jail stays. In fact a judge can sentence a felon to prison and the convict might not ever set foot in prison.

If I were the victim of a crime and watched my perp be sentenced and then let go after a mere FRACTION of their time served - on a whim - I'd be crazy pissed.

I know Cali has a prison/jail crowding issue - maybe they should look at WHY. Obviously going to jail isn't much a deterent anymore... even the ritzy know they'll get out without much of anything.

I wonder if Cali's 'rehab' centers for the rich are just as crowded as the jails are..
    Most people don't want to pay for the private jail because you are more likely to do a longer portion of your sentance.

If you really want to flip out the governor announced in his latest budget that he is contemplating releasing 20,000 prisoners early in order to help balance the budget.

I am not apologizing for the system or saying it right, but it is what it is. IMO the judge was grandstanding.

And the short answer is yes the sheriff gets to do what ever he wants as long as he follows the guidelines already in place.

What I am not sure about is whether or not the LA jail system is currently operating under a federal consent decree. At one point such a thing was in place and actually the sheriff had to answer to a federal judge about how he ran the prison, a local or state writ had absolutely no effect on what the sheriff did unless the federal judge concurred with the writ.
    Last edited by mousechild; 01-11-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.