Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drunk? Why?

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Drunk? Why?

A dear friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago. She was an elegant, compassionate, hilarious woman. She left behind two teenage children and an amazing husband. When she was killed, those who knew and loved her were devastated.

She was killed less than a block from where I lived. She had been watching one of her kids play ball at a park when she had to leave. Her daughter heard the crash and went to find out what happened, not knowing that her mother was dead.

She and her family were Disneyland APís. She used to tell me stories of how she and her husband would make out on the ďBucketsĒ as she called them. A few days after she was killed, I went to Disneyland because Disneyland is a place where you are supposed to leave your troubles behind. I bought a Mickey Mouse balloon and sat in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I said a short prayer and released the balloon in my friend's honor. I sat there watching the balloon rise into the heavens, and cried.

At her funeral, her husband came to me. He put his arm around me and said, ďMichael, I hope you know that Sue loved you.Ē I didnít. But I loved her, too.

I personally donít drink. Iím not morally opposed to drinking, I just donít like the taste of alcohol. Iím often invited by my friends to go out to bars or cocktail parties, and I go. But I donít drink. My friends know I donít drink, but they think Iím a fun guy so they invite me anyway. I donít mind being around people who are drinking. But I canít be around anyone who is drunk.

If there are children in your life, please make sure they know that getting drunk, being drunk, and staying drunk are not admirable qualities that a person should aspire to achieve. Instead, these things are selfish and often cause harm to others.

BTW, the driver who killed my friend, well, he walked away without a scratch. He spent a couple of years in jail. When he was released he got drunk again and killed more people.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Re: Drunk? Why?

MJCA, I am very sorry about your friend. Your pain at the loss is still evident.

I too had a friend killed because of alcohol and driving. She was a passenger in a vehicle driven by her friend who had been drinking. There were three of them in the truck. The driver and my friend were killed when the vehicle ran into a tree. They were 16 yrs old.

I have a daughter who is nearly that age now. We just can't stress enough how much alcohol and driving do NOT go together. There is a time and place for everything and behind the wheel is of course not the place--ever.

Hugs to you.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• off in lala land

MJCA, I am very to hear of your loss and like Jennidisneyfer said, your pain is still evident.

My father's only sister was killed by a drunk driver, I was probably about 2 or 3 at the time. She was just walking down the street and a car came out of nowhere, struck her down and continued to go. Unfortunately, the driver was never found and we suffered a tragic loss in our family.

It is one thing to drink, but to make the decision to get in your car and drive while intoxicated is another.

So sorry...
    ...it's been a long time.

Ironicaly, today is the wake for a friend that passed away on Thurs. We weren't too close, but he was a dear friend to many. About 5 years ago, he was hit by a drunk driver and paralyzed with only minimal movement of his upper arms. Circulation problems and defecits from a coma yielded thursdays result.

Be safe.

• Circle of Ancients

My prayers go out to all of you who have experienced the death of a loved one, especially if it was caused by a foolish act. Bless you all.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

MJCA I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. Like Jennidisneyfer stated it is easy to see that your pain is still very deep at evident.

I have cousins that are driving age and a younger brother that is almost there and I continually stress to them the importance of not only not getting behind the wheel intoxicated but also not getting in a car with someone else who's driving while intoxicated. I don't think it can ever be stressed enough. I have very strong feelings about drinking and then choosing to drive. I will not get behind the wheel after one drink. Period no ifs and or buts about it and I can only hope and pray that my cousins and little brother and one day my sons follow this example.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Thanks everyone. I'm really trying to be tactful and not step on anyone's toes because MiceChat is a great place and I enjoy being here. But I'm sometimes disappointed by some of the behavior here that seems to glorify something that is so not glory-worthy. I just hope we'll all read the stories and remember them the next time we decide to have a little too much.

And for all the underage MiceChatters out there, please remember that getting drunk is not cool, tight, or whatever the current term might be. It doesn't make you more grown up, it just shows how much of a child you still are. It's irresponsible and selfish. So show your maturity by acting responsibly.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Wow, that is really really sad.

I agree with you on many of your points. I personally am ADAMANT about NEVER drinking and driving. I would never get behind the wheel of a car even after one drink. All my family and friends know this about me. I also didn't drink until I was of legal age to do so. I feel both of these points are very very important.

I often also worry that in the quite regular talk about alcohol here that there are some involved that are too young. I know most of us would never encourage a minor to drink in "real" life, but many times posters seem ageless in this type of environment, which is not a good thing.

I do not think that drinking in and of itself is irresponsible or immature. I have had a lot of fun in situations where alcohol was involved, but never in a careless manner. I do think it is possible to enjoy drinking responsibly.

I wish everyone was as careful as I am though, and I have no tolerance for those who are not. I am sickened by people who choose to drink and drive. There is NO excuse for such behavior and I am SO very sorry that so many innocent people like your friend have lost so much because of something so awful.
    ďIn a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.Ē -Michael Jackson

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TinkPink again.
    Very good.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• That's Hawt

MickeyJCA ... I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I no longer drink for personal reasons and I do agree that it isn't something to be taken lightly. I just want all of my fellow MiceChatters, many of whom I consider friends, that I will always be happy to be a Sober driver if the need ever arises and I am there to lend a hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• I Hug My Tapirs

That's a horribly sad story. Unfortunately, it's terrifyingly common to hear about. I remember driving home from DL on Memorial Day once... Anaheim to San Diego, at 1 am... it took 5 hours because of all the drunk driving accidents along the way. I shudder to think how many of those might have involved a serious injury.

I am of legal age, and do drink on occasion. However, I have never understood the appeal of getting drunk. You get sick, you get hungover the next day and feel awful... why is that so fun? I got drunk enough to be sick all night once (luckily I was already at my own apartment) and learned my lesson the hard way. Haven't done it since.

I hang out with people who drink, but one thing I really like about my group of friends is that everyone watches out for each other. If someone does drink too much, the others are there to make sure they don't drive home.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Thoughts and hugs for you DisneyJCA on your loss..... your friend will be with you always in your heart. I know thats no condolence for losing her, but know that we all care.

I have been very fortunate to not have lost a close friend or relative to drunk driving. The insanity is when like MickeyJCA said, the person drinking almost never gets hurt in the accident. Its always the innocent person, sometimes even a child, who got caught up in a situation they had no control over, unlike the person drunk behind the wheel. That is always a consious decision, and is one that anyone has the power to NOT do. I do drink socially once in a while, but more often than not I'm the designated driver of the group, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I can have just as much fun with my friends not drinking, and making sure that everyone gets home in one piece and no one gets hurt. Yes a lot of joking about drinking happens in the forums, but hopefully when it comes down to it, everyone realizes the serious nature and consequences of getting behind the wheel of a 2000 lbs vehicle when your motor and mental skills are not what they should be because of alcohol.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Count me with the crowd! I like the drinks, but I will never drive home. I actually won't have any drinks, even at home, if my hubby's out of the house. If he has car trouble or something, I'd have to go get him. I don't want that to be my excuse for getting behind the wheel.

I've been lucky- I haven't lost anyone to a drunk driver. I have had a couple friends be involved in accidents with them, but nobody's died. Drinking and driving was one of the reasons we no longer allow my father-in-law to live with us. Nobody's been able to convince him how wrong it is. He just keeps doing it.

My heart goes out to those who have lost people to his brand of idiocy.

**hugs**
    -kerry

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I also am one who doesn't drink a lot, and cannot STAND when anyone is drunk around me. It bothers me so much that I get physically uncomfortable and have to leave as quickly as possible. I have been known to have some drinks every once in a while, but not until well after I was old enough, and I have never been drunk. I just don't understand the appeal.

My heart and thoughts go out to anyone who has lost someone due to a drunk driver...it's just one thing I will never understand, drinking to the point of not knowing what's going on.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I enjoy having a drink or two, but not if I have to drive anytime soon. There have been many times when I've been out dining with friends, or just spending time together, that I'd have loved to have had a drink with them but didn't because I knew I had a drive ahead of me.

Along with several people who posted above I have no problem being with friends when they drink, but can't stand being with someone who's "drunk". I've seen dear friends become loud, unfunny, and embarrassing after having a few too many. Seeing people who are normally witty, loving, and thoughtful become the opposite is neither pleasant nor uplifting, and more often that not I will leave when I see that happening.

We absorb the qualities of the people we spend the most time with, and if your goal is to continually become the best person you can be, then I doubt you'll find such admirable qualities in people who consider being drunk a favorite pasttime. Its painful, and hurts, to see people do this to themselves... and ultimately to the people around them.

My conscience persuades me to ask you this question: is glamorizing, minimalizing or continually joking about drunkeness to those around us - perhaps to or with people that may be vulnerable, sensitive, or in need with their own personal problems, including the possibility or fact that some are clearly minors - a responsible act? Contrary to what many people have chosen to believe, drinking "responsibly" does not mean drinking to the point of drunkeness, even if you're not getting behind the wheel of a car. Our actions do impact those around us, and those we care about, in both the real and "virtual" worlds.

I hope that the many of you who know me personally know that I don't say or write this in an accusatory tone; I say this because I've had some of these shoes on before. There are many of you that I care about deeply; please take it as its meant, because I do care about you deeply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast