Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Question Anyone know CA license laws really well?? Because I don't.

As many of you know (or can see by my siggy), I'm turning 18 in two weeks as of today. I completed driver's ed last year, but I'm a dork and didn't register for a permit and therefore didn't take any behind the wheel training. I know that I don't need a permit or to have completed behind the wheel to take my driver's test after I'm 18, but let's face facts: the thought of controlling (without experience) a two-ton vehicle capible of huge amounts of destruction terifies me and I know that thought will effect how I do on my driver's test.
    My question is this: If I get a permit after I'm 18 and do behind the wheel, do I still have to wait the six months before I can take a license test? If that's the case, I think I should just wing it and take the test. I seriously can't find anything about over 18 permits online. Thanks for any help y'all can give me!!!
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Anyone know CA license laws really well?? Because I don't.

I got my permit in the middle of June and middle of August. I just went out everyday with my dad. Was 18 when I did it. So as long as you have someone willing to go out you're fine.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

They have such durned strict laws about everything now, I don't know if I can do that.
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

My cousin got his permit a few months ago and now legally can drive (which scares me).

• Minion

I think you should just wing it (license test) then take some behind the wheel training lessons- they really help.
    The DMV has really complicated and confusing rules in my opinion.
    I'v had my permit for almost 4 months and am taking my license test in April, so i'm almost as new to this as you.
    Good luck though! It was scary at first, but after some practice you'lle be good!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Believe me, once you get use to driving, those butterflies will go away and your confidence will build up.

They have such durned strict laws about everything now, I don't know if I can do that.
    Which is for everyone's safety .

Just do your best and practice practice practice to the point that you are comfortable behind the wheel.

Find out if there are any driving lesson courses being offered in your area too. I know a guy at my church who was teaching the courses for free and I went out practicing with him many times. It is always best to practice with someone who is calm and patient. Practicing with someone who is the complete opposite may just bring on stress and frustration.

But to put it simply, just be confident in yourself. That's all there is to it really.

• Senior Minion

Me, before I moved, I had complete the classroom portion of the permit, as was a required class in school.
    But I was also freaked of driving, so I didn't get my permit until I was 19 and starting driving just before I turned 20. I had taken the permit test and my parents got me driving lessons (which I hated with a passion and taught me nothing) and they took me out by having me drive everywhere we went, even if they had no clue where we were going.
    I didn't have to wait 6 months before I got my license, just whenever I felt comfortable enough to drive on my own, which was just more than 6 months.

I say, once you feel comfortable, then just go for it!!!! And good luck!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• FL born, CA grown

Once you are 18 and over you do not have to show completion of driver training.

I taught my daughter how to drive and fortunately for us she learned to drive and took her driving test in the same car. The driving schools tend to have pieces of junk that have four wheels and are technically "cars" but actually drive like crap.

The two issues my daughter had when first learning to drive is braking distance (she would stop too soon from the limit line) and feeling comfortable accelerating the car during turns.

I had her drive me all around our neighborhood and after 2-weeks had her drive the freeway. Her issue with freeways was lane changing (getting accustomed to looking before making the lane change) and having to accelerate to gain access into the lane you wish to enter.

She has been driving herself now for a year, has logged over 10,000 miles in that time (I know this because I maintain her car) and is a very good and confident driver.

You will get there too, good luck!

-Todd
    -Todd, Ginarella's loving husband.

The Greatest Rock Band EVER!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    As many of you know (or can see by my siggy), I'm turning 18 in two weeks as of today. I completed driver's ed last year, but I'm a dork and didn't register for a permit and therefore didn't take any behind the wheel training. I know that I don't need a permit or to have completed behind the wheel to take my driver's test after I'm 18, but let's face facts: the thought of controlling (without experience) a two-ton vehicle capible of huge amounts of destruction terifies me and I know that thought will effect how I do on my driver's test.
    My question is this: If I get a permit after I'm 18 and do behind the wheel, do I still have to wait the six months before I can take a license test? If that's the case, I think I should just wing it and take the test. I seriously can't find anything about over 18 permits online. Thanks for any help y'all can give me!!!
    We just went through this convoluted process with my niece. The rules were so complicated (combined with the fact that she procrastinated on many deadlines) she ended up just waiting until here 18th birthday to get here license. Once you turn 18 there really are no requirements except passing the tests.

So for your situation, while I think it's admirable (and very smart) to want to take lessons, I would say as others haves suggested: don't even bother with the permit anymore. Just study, take the tests, get your license and then sign up for a few lessons.

You really have nothing to lose; the worst thing that could happen is you fail the test. Then you'll basically be in the same situation as... well, you are right now.

--Jonathan

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone!! I'm sure I can pass the test ok, I'm just really stressed out (read as: so stressed I've had about six emotional breakdowns in the past five days) this week with my show and finals, so I'm stressing more than I should about this. If anything I'll ask around to where the "easy" DMV's are so I can get the stupid thing and then practice. I just need it so I can get myself to DL and to school and back.
    When the time comes to take the test I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on how I do
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Norco. Not saying anything, but there's only one lady who fails people and I can PM you her name.

• Senior Minion

Don't stress it, it'll just make you more nervous and likely to fail. Just be calm and tell yourself that you can pass the test.
    I still hate driving on freeways and at night, but i've gotten used to it, and you will too. It's scary driving the first time by yourself, but with time and practice, you'll pass the test with flying colors!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Former Loiterer

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Norco. Not saying anything, but there's only one lady who fails people and I can PM you her name.
    Second that. Norco was great! It's really not stressful out there. Norco doesn't have nearly the traffic of Fullerton or another DMV in a more densely populated area.

Plus, while you still need to make an appointment to take the test, because it's not the craziest DMV in the world, it's a lot easier to get in and out and maneuver through the red tape.

Good luck. Remember, happy and relaxed drivers are less likely to have an incident on the road. Relax, you'll do fine!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

I have nothing to add that will help you out. You should do fine though.
    FYI -I was 23 before I got my licence. That was nearly 20 years ago - yikes.
    Good luck and best wishes on your 18th Birthday.

• FL born, CA grown

My daughter took her driving test in Rancho Cucamonga and had no problems.
    -Todd, Ginarella's loving husband.

The Greatest Rock Band EVER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast