Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Post MiceChat on Wikipedia

Now that we have over 3000 members, I figured it was about time we had our own page on Wikipedia. It features a brief history of the site, summary of topics we discuss, explenations of user groups and the reputation system, as well as some definition of ling we use. Pardon the spelling errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiceChat

Quote Originally Posted by WikiPedia

History

MiceChat is a message board themed around fans of the Disney company and Disney theme parks. It is sister site to MiceAge, a fan created Disney news and information site. The site had long recieved requests for a message board but did not act upon them. In January of 2005, several friends and fans of the site created their own message board, aptly titled MiceChat. The site had its first member register on January 10th, 2005, and continued to grow in popularity. Still under a year old, the site reached 3000 members on July 29th, 2005.

Topics

The site has added and removed various forums over time, but discussions on MiceChat generally fall into three catergories. There are columnist discussions, where users may discuss articles from MiceChat as well as pose questions to the authors. There park and company discussions, where members can discuss news and provide critism and ideas for each of the Disney resorts around the world. There are also discussions on general entertainment, non-Disney theme parks, and the Disney company in general. Lastly, there are the lounges, which provide a place to discuss or annouce anything and everything. Discussions that are inappropriate or have gotten out of hand are moved to the litter box, which is seperate from the rest of the board.

Member Groups

Aside from regular members, there are certain groups which help maintain various aspects of the board.

Administrators help moderate the discussions, and also are in charge of the upkeep of the boards softwear.

Moderators Help to moderate the discussion, making sure that discussion and content posted remains appropriate and family-friendly. They also have the power to edit, move or remove posts if neccisary. While Moderators used to be assigned to one or two particular forums, they now moderate the entire board. Only moderators and administrators can view and post in the Moderator Forum, which allows for private discussion about the board by its staff.

MiceChat News Club Members maintain the MiceChat News forum, which showcases news about Disney and similar companies. This forum is not for discussion purposes and can only be posted in by News Club members.

MiceEars Crew Members write the weekly MiceChat Roundup, a selection of some of the most inteteresting and popular discussions from MiceChat, which is featured on MiceAge every Wednesday. Only MiceEars Crew Members can view and post in the MiceEars Crew Forum, which is used to discuss and plan upcoming roundups.

MiceChat uses a system of reputation as a form of self-moderation. Members can give positive reputation to another member if they feel that member has made a positive contribution to the board. Members can also give negative reputation, which subtracts from positive reputation, if they feel someone has gone out of line or posted something mean-spirited or inappropriate.

The amount of reputation a member can give depends upon several factors, including, the amount of reputation they have, the amount of time they have been registered with the board and the amound of posts they have made. The reputation a member can give is called their "Reputation Power Points", and is usually about 1% of their total reputation. The amount of negative reputation a member can give is about half of their reputation power points.

Members are limited in the number of times they give out reputation in a 24-hour perioed, and must give out reputation to several people before giving it to the same person twice.

All members start off with 10 reputation points. And reputation given by new members remains null until they have made 20 posts.

If a member's reputation falls below 0, they are only allowed to post in the Litter Box, which is seperate from the rest of the board, until they recieve enough positive rep that their reputation totals above zero and they can post regularly again. If a member's reputation falls below -500 they are automatically banned from the boards.

Member Lingo

Sock Puppet - A Sock Puppet is a duplicate account created by an existing member. Members are allowed only one account, and if caught Sock Puppeting may be banned.

Troll - A Troll is a member, usually new to the boards, who posts in an aggresive and mean spirited manner. Though members cannot be banned for being mean-spirited per se, such members are usually given plenty of negative repuation and are thus confined to the Litter Box or, in some cases, banned altogether.

YAGE - YAGE is an acronym for "Yet Another Grand Exit". Usually used as a noun, the term is used to refer to someone who posts that they are leaving in an overly dramatic way.

Lurker - A Lurker is someone who browses or "Lurks" the boards without posting, or someone who says they are leaving the boards (See "YAGE") but continues to browse without posting.

Links

MiceChat MiceAge

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: MiceChat on Wikipedia

You have SOOOO much time on your hands. But very well done none the least. I'll make a few corrections for you later.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    You have SOOOO much time on your hands. But very well done none the least. I'll make a few corrections for you later.
    You have no idea. I should probably be doing something productive...

...but its summer. And hopefully there aren't too many mistakes, but it is after all WikiPedia so its meant to be edited.

• That's Hawt

Woah .... C33 ... you REALLY need a hobby ... or at least a significant other! (But seriously nice job )
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Great entry, just one thing that I noticed. When you mention the three discussions, "are columnist discussions, where users may discuss articles from MiceChat as well as pose questions to the authors" should read "discuss articles from MiceAge." Other than that, great job!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Woah .... C33 ... you REALLY need a hobby ... or at least a significant other! (But seriously nice job )

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    I just made a silent short film about myself, for no other reason than I had nothing better to do. Well I probably did, but...

Gotta love summer.

• So!

What was the plot? Praise MiceChat?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    What was the plot? Praise MiceChat?
    Why not have a WikiPedia entry? Besides, I was bored.

• So!

That was the plot of the film?

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I weep for the future
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Disney Memory Maker

Hopefully this doesn't get deleted. The Wikipedia people are very strict in that they are not a free-for-all (so hopefully it will brush under their eyes). For example, there is a David Madden thread (the current 14-time Jeopardy champ who has over $333,000) and there was a hot discussion as to whether it should be deleted. Just a few days ago, they counted the votes and it just survived. Personally, I think it's lame that they are so fussy.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    That was the plot of the film?
    Ohhhhhhhhh, sorry, misunderstood your meaning.

The film didn't really have a plot, it was about me being bored really.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Hopefully this doesn't get deleted. The Wikipedia people are very strict in that they are not a free-for-all (so hopefully it will brush under their eyes). For example, there is a David Madden thread (the current 14-time Jeopardy champ who has over $333,000) and there was a hot discussion as to whether it should be deleted. Just a few days ago, they counted the votes and it just survived. Personally, I think it's lame that they are so fussy.

-Michael
    Yes they are a bit inflexible, but I see their point. They don't want people to think that they can just go and write an article about anything.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    Now that we have over 3000 members, I figured it was about time we had our own page on Wikipedia.
    Very nice Club 33. My friend jimmybop is obsessed with this place. He's the one that old me about it. But yes, glad to have MiceChat as a part of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast