Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Re: The Ultimate Future of the Parks in the not too distant future ...

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    again 50% of the arctic ice melted last year during summer to levels never seen in human history thats pretty large and sudden event and it happened now.
    Because humans have been recording the habits of the arctic ice for all of its history....that's it.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

When I say history I mean just that recorded human history which contains detailed sightings logged from ship captains going back centuries where they took sea temps and ice location date etc and this actually includes the Inuit indians or eskimos as they are commonly called in a recent documentary by Dan Rather on HDnet they spoke with the elders who had a history that was passed down from ancestors over hundreds of years and they say that nothing like 2007's melt ever came close to happening before.

And they also reported another fact unknown to the general public in 2007 not a single male child was born amoung the Inuit only females. This is believed to be due to increased toxins from the melted ice apparently the surface was covered in pollutants.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• DL Nerd

DisneySea here we come!!!!

Take THAT DCA!!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Your thesis claims that the sea level will rise by approximately 200 ft when all the ice/snow in the polar areas melt. Then you site a claim that half of the snow/ice has already melted in summer 2007. If both were true, should the sea level have risen by approximately 100 feet by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    DisneySea here we come!!!!

Take THAT DCA!!
    Yeah I already thought of that we may get our ca version of Tokyo disney seas afterall! Maybe Disney should start thinking of more water related themes like real subs not just pretend nemo ones and real sea bases etc! :-) Ironically the nemo subs might actually just float away when such a flood occurs though I guess the way they are designed they would just capsize and sink once they lift off the tracks....

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• DL Nerd

My evil plan is coming to fruition. Soon the Beach will be in Utah..... I can Surf and DLR will be re-located to the NEW Anaheim. Salt Lake City!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

(sorry so make light of a serious situation)
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    Your thesis claims that the sea level will rise by approximately 200 ft when all the ice/snow in the polar areas melt. Then you site a claim that half of the snow/ice has already melted in summer 2007. If both were true, should the sea level have risen by approximately 100 feet by now?
    No if you read it more carefully I distinguish the difference between sea (Arctic with the exception of Greenland) based ice and land (Greenland and Antartic) based ice.

I used the glass of water anology if you put ice into a glass of water and mark the height of the water then mark it again after the ice melts there will be no real difference this is because the ice displace about the same amount of space as it does in its water form. However if you fill a glass with water and mark its height then drop alot of ice cubes into it will rise considerable maybe even overflow.

I bring up the Arctic sea based ice melting because it is shows a very dramatic sudden and unexpected melting. Keep in mind that the arctic sea based ice has a yearly cycle of increasing in winter and shrinking in summer but never to the level it shrank in 2007 the northwest passage has no cleared so that ships for the first time ever can travel between the atlantic and pacific oceans during summer!

The point is that the land based or above sea level "permanent" ice that has covered Greenland and the Antarctic for as long as humans have been around is not only melting but has been undermined by loss of the water based ice like the larson b shelf that was helping to hold back the land ice like a natual buttress with this buttress now gone and under the land ice it is becoming lubricated by melt water and mud this now makes it possible in part or in whole for massive land based ice to simply just slide into the sea at any time now and could do so in one day not years though it may be years point is it can be sudden just like other huge ice shelfs that have broke off just like larson b. It is when this happens the seas will rise up to 200 ft and potentially rapidly once the ice gives way.

You see for years now you have heard "the ice is melting and ice caps are shrinking" this is bad but what they didnt know untill very recently is that they now looked under the ice and found it is thining and weakening to the point that it can just break free and slide into the sea.

If you ever watched frozen ice around a stream in winter then thaw in spring you know what I'm talking about generally the hard ice melts from below and liquid water begins to run underneath undermining the ice's hold on the ground till it can break free and slide into the water and flow downstream .... same concept.

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    My evil plan is coming to fruition. Soon the Beach will be in Utah..... I can Surf and DLR will be re-located to the NEW Anaheim. Salt Lake City!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

(sorry so make light of a serious situation)
    Your right actually if one had the money and will to do it you could study topographical maps and buy up land around the oceans at 250 ft level and own the new seashore properties! Though that would be a bit crass I think.... :-) Unfortunately for humans most of the worlds cities are built near the sea and river outlets because we used to use sea travel as the main means of transportation, Denver is looking pretty good as the potential new u.s. capitol though , keep in mind Washington D.C. is around 47 ft and near the potomac which feeds into the sea. At least those responsible will go first! (Tho I bet the rich fat political cats will be "bunkered" down some where inland in a massive cave isnt that what Cheney does every time a shadow passes over him run for cover?)

— Walt Disney

• Hopping DLR for 40 Years

Regarding the "no male births to Inuit in 2007". This, sadly, is where facts go to die.

I believe you will find that the brithrate in one year was twice that for females as for males. Your statement implies that NO babies were born - the only way to get zero males at a 1:2 ratio is to also have zero femals.

Really, folks - we're taking a hundred years, or a few hundred years of anecdotal stories to explain the predicted behavior of a climactic system billions of years old?

As for the computer predictive models that "can't be tested, because we don't have enough data" - taking that tack, we will never have enough data.

Take any of the current models, go back 10 years - it will not have accurately predicted anything. There are at least three studies being done right now to validate the various models - in each and every case, they cannot run "backwards", and cannot predict the past (actually, extrapolate the past to the present).

This is not the case in other real sciences, where facts, eveidence and proof is required, rather than news reporting under any one of a number of biases - going both ways. Once the emotion is out of the argument, the facts simply are not there. They may be, eventually, but so long as this is politicized and based on anecdotal and cherry-picked 'facts', there can be no rational resolution.

Regards; KotF

• Closed Account

The point is that the land based or above sea level "permanent" ice that has covered Greenland and the Antarctic for as long as humans have been around...
    Apparently, in the past, Greenland was a lot more verdent than it is today--which is how it got its name.

The next migration came from the east, following "Erik the Red" Thorwaldsson's exploration of the southern coast of Greenland between 982 and 985 AD. In 986, he led a group of Viking families from Iceland, and settled at Brattahlid, traditionally known as Qassiarsuk (route map). The climate at this time was very warm, much wamer than it is today, and crops were able to do well. It seems likely that the name "Greenland" was given to the country, not just as wishful thinkful, but because it was a climatic fact at that time.
    http://explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa121799.htm

• Closed Account

under the land ice it is becoming lubricated by melt water and mud this now makes it possible in part or in whole for massive land based ice to simply just slide into the sea at any time now and could do so in one day not years
    Glaciers have water lubricating them, and nice, smooth chanels toward the ocean. How come we don't see any glaciers sliding into the sea in a single day?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I think Disney already did a movie about this possibility:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Glaciers have water lubricating them, and nice, smooth chanels toward the ocean. How come we don't see any glaciers sliding into the sea in a single day?
    Actually most of the glaciers are melting at a rapid rate.....

— Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I think Disney already did a movie about this possibility:
    Yeah and chicke little was right the sky was falling and aliens attacked! lol

— Walt Disney

Lol... Global Warming Is Coming... Global Warming Is Coming... Save The Women And Children... We Only Have 100 Years To Evacuate!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast