Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: The Ultimate Future of the Parks in the not too distant future ...

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Actually most of the glaciers are melting at a rapid rate.....
    I didn't say "melting." I said "slide into the ocean in one day."

In other words, why would an ice sheet have an easier time sliding off a continent than a glacier?
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-31-2008 at 12:06 PM.

• Minion

From what I have read, the high end projection for sea level rise over the next 100 years is just under 1 meter. So we have a long way to go before getting to 147 ft.

About the name of Greenland, I once heard that the Vikings intentionally mislabeled Greenland and Iceland. Iceland was green and Greenland was icy, but they wanted potential invaders to think otherwise. I don't know how credible this version is but it's interesting.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I didn't say "melting." I said "slide into the ocean in one day."

In other words, why would an ice sheet have an easier time sliding off a continent than a glacier?
    partially because they are on the edge of the coastline as are some glaciers other glaciers are inland and who says glaciers arent falling into the sea they are in large pieces every day

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Here are some reference links:

the first is from the article itself

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-unquiet-ice
    http://www.ipy.org/index.php?/ipy/audience/C32/
    http://lima.usgs.gov/
    http://www.unep.org/geo/geo%5Fice/

Heres the thing about predictions about climate change they are always being updated as new info is available but never are these prediction updates in the direction of less sea rise or a longer time table they are always in the opposite direction more sea level rising sooner than previously thought.

If you look at the history of these predictions 5 yrs ago they said 3 ft in 100 yrs, then after that 50 to 100 ft around 50-75 yrs now they are saying 150 to 200 ft in 10 to 30 yrs ...makes you wonder what the next prediction will be....

As a Disneyland fan in light of the latest information I just think that they should have a plan for relocation and start looking for 300 ft plus elevation property around los angeles area...since such a plan would take decades to prepare for now would be a good time to start thinking about it...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

As a Disneyland fan in light of the latest information I just think that they should have a plan for relocation and start looking for 300 ft plus elevation property around los angeles area...since such a plan would take decades to prepare for now would be a good time to start thinking about it...
    In all honesty, I'd rather drown than worry about California being submerged up to 300 feet. You can laugh if I build my house out of Straw or sticks, I just choose to not believe there will be a big bad wolf in my lifetime.

Here is part of the article from The Unquiet Ice

Scientific American Magazine - February, 2008

The Unquiet Ice

Abundant liquid water newly discovered underneath the world's great ice sheets could intensify the destabilizing effects of global warming on the sheets. Then, even without melting, the sheets may slide into the sea and raise sea level catastrophically

By Robin E. Bell

• The land-based ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica hold enough water to raise global sea level by more than 200 feet.
    • A complex “plumbing system” of rivers, lakes and meltwater lies under the ice sheets. That water “greases” the flow of vast streams of ice toward the ocean.
    • For millennia, the out­going discharge of ice has been balanced by incoming snowfall. But when warming air or surface meltwater further greases the flow or removes its natural impediments, huge quantities of ice lurch seaward.
    • Models of potential sea-level rise from climate change have ignored the effects of subglacial water and the vast streams of ice on the flow of ice entering the sea.

— Walt Disney

• Closed Account

partially because they are on the edge of the coastline as are some glaciers other glaciers are inland and who says glaciers arent falling into the sea they are in large pieces every day
    Listen, it's geting silly talking about this if you continue to mis-quote me.

I know "portions" of glaciers break off into the sea. We've all seen the clips or photos. Here's one jsut to prove that I know what you're talking about:

What you said was that it was now possible for an entire continent's worth of ice cover to slip into the ocean in one day. Your actual quote is "it['s] possible in part or in whole for massive land based ice to simply just slide into the sea at any time now and could do so in one day."

You did not say it would break off in pieces gradually. You did not say it would melt gradually. You said it could slip into the sea in ONE DAY.

My question to you is simple, and either you can answer it, or you can't. I unsderstand you're not claiming to be an expert in this area, but if you don't know the answer to the following questions, it's OK to say "I don't know." The question is,

Why don't we see large areas of ice "sliding" into the sea in the span of a few hours? If we haven't witnessed an entire glacier slide into the sea in a day, what is the evidence that a continent's worth of ice will do so?

There's only one problem...we're about to enter a very cold age!

http://www.spaceandscience.net/id16.html

• ... the Axis of Awesome

We are so arrogant as a species. Do we honestly think we have some massive power over the land and sky, that we can cool and warm at will or through our mistakes? Facts of the matter our:

Our planet has already shrugged off massive ice ages in the past
    The globe was warmer during the Middle Ages then today
    We were predicting the next Ice Age in the 60s and 70s
    It's hotter on Mars today than it was 5 years ago

Bottom line, our planet goes on pretty much independent of us. Warming and cooling cycles our like your body, sometimes you're hotter, sometimes you cool depending on a billion factors. I'm all for cleaner air and renewable resources, but to say that we're going to warm our planet to death is just silly.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan.” -- John Lasseter

There is a trilogy of speculative fiction books by Kim Stanley Robinson: FORTY SIGNS OF RAIN, FIFTY DEGREES BELOW, and SIXTY DAYS AND COUNTING. A fictionalized account of abrupt climate change. Robinson is a better researcher than he is a storyteller, but he tells an obviously well researched story about a near future where "global warming" is a reality and is actually starting to affect humanity. Take it for what it's worth. I thought they were an interesting read, and thought provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPixar View Post
    We are so arrogant as a species. Do we honestly think we have some massive power over the land and sky, that we can cool and warm at will or through our mistakes? Facts of the matter our:

Our planet has already shrugged off massive ice ages in the past
    The globe was warmer during the Middle Ages then today
    We were predicting the next Ice Age in the 60s and 70s
    It's hotter on Mars today than it was 5 years ago

Bottom line, our planet goes on pretty much independent of us. Warming and cooling cycles our like your body, sometimes you're hotter, sometimes you cool depending on a billion factors. I'm all for cleaner air and renewable resources, but to say that we're going to warm our planet to death is just silly.
    I guess the U.N., the Nobel peace prize, the global scientific community and the Intergovermental Panel on Climate change must have goofed up and your right instead....

Oslo, 10 December 07 - The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. were awarded of the Nobel Peace Prize "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".

“Noting with
    concern that the emerging evidence indicates that continued growth in
    atmospheric concentrations of “greenhouse” gases could produce global warming
    with an eventual rise in sea levels, the effects of which could be disastrous for
    mankind if timely steps are not taken at all levels”.

In a bleak and powerful assessment of the future of the planet, the leading international network of climate change scientists has concluded for the first time that global warming is "unequivocal" and that human activity is the main driver, "very likely" causing most of the rise in temperatures since 1950.

The report summarized the fourth assessment since 1990 by the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change of the United Nations, sizing up the causes and consequences of climate change. But it is the first in which the group asserts with near certainty — more than 90 percent confidence — that carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases from human activities have been the main causes of warming since 1950.

http://www.ipcc.ch/index.htm

There is no longer any argument about this.

The point is if we are facing an up to 200ft sea level rise in either our or our children's lifetime what measures can or should be taken to preserve Walt Disney's legacy by relocating Disneyland to higher ground or at least open up for discussions ways to have contingency plans to do so in such an event? Or should we just be happy with only Paris Disneyland surviving and all the other parks including the original Disneyland only to be visited by Scuba divers and families on real submarine voyages?

— Walt Disney

•   
    • Shenanigans.

This is not the happiest thread on earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Closed Account

•   

fly animal or roller?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    fly animal or roller?

That was funny GLACIER size. I mean it's size 20 years ago, not today.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast