Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Ultimate Future of the Parks in the not too distant future ...

What were the judge's scientific credentials and experience ?

I guess one finds their experts and 'proof' where someone agrees with you ....

•   

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post

That was funny GLACIER size. I mean it's size 20 years ago, not today.

I should get that saying inked on me, it was that good.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post

I should get that saying inked on me, it was that good.
    Well hurry up. That tattoo parlor is nearly under water as we speak.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Well hurry up. That tattoo parlor is nearly under water as we speak.
    Imagine the taTtoo:
    fly animal (insert glacier picture in place of "or") roller

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Can't fly animals on a rolling glacier.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

What a coincidence! Right now on a show called Naked Science is Glacier Meltdown i think its on the National Geographic channel I have charter and its on now and repeats at 10pm it has everything that I mentioned on the documentary. If you are interested in this watch or dvr it.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    This is not the happiest thread on earth
    Thats my point if we dont want the Happiest place on earth to become the Happiest place underwater someone needs to have plans on how to relocate the park to higher ground.

All science says it will happen and happen sooner than any one thinks and its too late to stop it so we need to plan to save the things we care about.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Minion

I hope DL will never be destroyed. The world could never be the same without it.

Global Warming is a real threat and we need to do what we can to help prevent it. Do I believe that "The Day After Tomorrow" could happen? No, but whether the serious effects of global warming show in 5 years or 500 years we need to help prevent them, so the future generations will have a world to live in.

• Master of Suspense

The land-based ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica hold enough water to raise global sea level by more than 200 feet.
    Yes, and if the sea level were to raise 200 ft, all of Greenland's ice sheets would have to melt. Do you really believe that's gonna happen in the near future?

I guess the U.N., the Nobel peace prize, the global scientific community and the Intergovermental Panel on Climate change must have goofed up and your right instead....

Oslo, 10 December 07 - The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. were awarded of the Nobel Peace Prize "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".
    And Al Gore being awarded a peace prize proves global warming in what way? Al Gore should have never received a peace prize in the first place. He advocates energy conservation, and his family used six times the national average of kilowatt hours...in one of their houses.

And there is very little evidence to suggest global warming is caused by humans. It doesn't appear as though we've had an affect on greenhouse gases. If it weren't for greenhouse gas levels average global temperature would be in the negatives. If we had an affect on greenhouse gas levels, the average temperature would be noticeably higher, but they are following normal trends. In fact, about three decades ago we were concerned about the affects we had on global cooling. It's called alarmism.
    Last edited by crazy go nuts; 01-31-2008 at 08:19 PM.

"To Serve Man... it's a cookbook!!!"

Ever heard of the dyslexic man who sold his soul to Santa?

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

It must be true, Al Gore says it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Animatronic

To solve global warming, I recommend promoting new technology and progress. The best way to do that, I believe, is to berate companies that build low tech rides like Pooh on message boards.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    It must be true, Al Gore says it is.
    Engaging in criticism of AL Gore does not negate all the scientific studies that support climate change and the effect of human activity upon it. Those studies do not prove it either since the only proof will be what happens to the climate and greater information and understanding of climate dynamics.

By such a point of certainty, of course, the situation will have accelerated and fed back upon itself and it will be much more difficult to compensate for much less rollback if it is possible. So insisting on a proof that cannot be obtained until the damage is done is just a way of avoiding any responsibility for what may, and seems likely, to occur and leaving the consequences to our heirs. Doesn't seem like the height of responsibility to me but it is compensated for by the satisfaction such people receive by personalizing the issues into a criticism of Al Gore.

So go ahead, do your duty at this inflection point (if it's not too late) of climate change and say "I tried to stop Al Gore".

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    To solve global warming, I recommend promoting new technology and progress. The best way to do that, I believe, is to berate companies that build low tech rides like Pooh on message boards.

Lore gets it,Disney is spending too energy, producing too much gas building countless low quality rides that provide little marginal entertainment value, where one exceptional ride would not only use less energy but increase the average marginal entertainment value for the park.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Engaging in criticism of AL Gore does not negate all the scientific studies that support climate change and the effect of human activity upon it. Those studies do not prove it either since the only proof will be what happens to the climate and greater information and understanding of climate dynamics.

By such a point of certainty, of course, the situation will have accelerated and fed back upon itself and it will be much more difficult to compensate for much less rollback if it is possible. So insisting on a proof that cannot be obtained until the damage is done is just a way of avoiding any responsibility for what may, and seems likely, to occur and leaving the consequences to our heirs. Doesn't seem like the height of responsibility to me but it is compensated for by the satisfaction such people receive by personalizing the issues into a criticism of Al Gore.

So go ahead, do your duty at this inflection point (if it's not too late) of climate change and say "I tried to stop Al Gore".
    Actually other people are using Al Gore as some sort of expert, the guy only scored 1420 on his SAT, if he is supposed to be of the most intelligent politician of our times,he sure didn't show any great mental capacity in his SAT score. Al has become an entertainer so ridiculing him is fair game. He says this is a most pressing issue but fails to dose the gas flame lamps at his mansion. If he can't be bothered to make a small effort, why should I trust his opinion.

The documentary I just watched was very on this subject its called Naked Science: Glacial Meltdown on Nat Geo ch it will air again at 10pm on most cable ch's.

It points out a flaw in science of global issues like weather and science in general:

1. Scientist's usually err's on the consertive side to protect themselves
    2. Scientist's usually only consider their own narrow area of research and not other factors that can affect it.

Here are some great examples of this on this subject.

Initially using satelite photos it became obvious that the earths ice is melting at an accelerated rate. This lead to the sea level rise of a few feet in 100 yrs

Then someone actually bothered to look under the ice and found that it was thining dramatically too this changed the prediction in 2002 to 30 ft or more in 50 years.

Now taking into consideration other factors like the loss of reflective ice is altering the earths albedo and it is increasingly absorbing instead of reflecting heat more. This means that although melting sea ice cannot raise sea levels on its own it loss can increase sea temps even more from solar absorption and cause land based ice to melt faster.

Also the melting of permafrost is releasing enormous amounts of methane gas a greenhouse gas 50 times more potent than co2! And due to ocean temps rising frozen methane hydrates on the ocean floor (there is a huge deposit oddly in the bermuda area near fl) are melting releasing massive amounts of methane into the air.

Now we find that the melt water at the poles is undermining the underside of the ice shelfs and they are now sliding faster into the sea than before, the loss of sea ice at the shore has also accelerated this due to the loss of the barrier this sea ice acted as in keeping the land ice at bay.

There is a point of no return and unfortunately we passed that already, unlike the lead from exhaust as mentioned in the documentary co2 cannot be easily removed from the atmosphere just stopping making it wont make the co2 here already go away that will take many decades so the current problems will not only continue but get worse and what are the odds the whole planet would curtail all co2 emmissions asap?

There is a remote chance that some new tech might help speed up this absorption which is what Al Gore is now focusing on with his version of an Xprize recently announced. So Knock him because you think its funny but the man knows that its too late to stop it and our only hope is to try and radically remove co2.

So now the latest predictions are for the possible loss of all sea ice in 5 to 10 years with land ice to follow not long after this will lead to the 200 ft sea rise not in 100 yrs not in 50 but possibly alot less and based on how these predictions keep getting shorter and shorter what will the next prediction be??

So what are the options for ensuring a 75th or 100th Disneyland anniversary?

1. Build a 50ft plus seawall around the park? not very practical as it will be surrounded by ocean and be a in the bottom of a bowl 50 ft below sea level

2. Have a plan to quickly relocate as much as possible or it and rebuild the rest on new higher ground, this is feasible and such a plan could be prepared for and the land found and bought and prepared.

3. Let it get flooded and build a copy of it elsewhere? I hope not.......

— Walt Disney

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast