• off in lala land

And this one time at Explosive Camp...

This is why I wasn't allowed to go to Summer Camp

2005 Summer Explosives Camp

About the course

The University of Missouri-Rolla was founded in 1870 and was the first technological institution west of the Mississippi River. Before 1920, most of the curriculum was centered around the mining industry and although UMR has expanded its emphasis to include other majors, the mining program is still at the heart of the university. The mining department has an exceptional reputation. You will gain hands-on experience at the experimental mine and get to work with worldrenowned faculty. The department also offers many scholarships and work opportunities to students. The students take what they learn in the classroom and use it in the real world. UMR is host to both the 2004 menís and womenís Intercollegiate Mining Competition champions! In the past eight years, UMR has had an astounding 100% job placement for all seniors who wanted it. Not only did they get jobs, they had great starting salaries as well! Statistics like that show how reputable UMR and its mining program is.Using its reputation in the field of explosives engineering, the department has been aggressively expanding its explosives classes. In 1997, UMR was the first university to offer an explosives emphasis, and new for 2005 is a minor in explosives engineering.

Ever wonder how dynamite works? What about fireworks? At the 2005 Summer Explosives Camp, you will not only learn how these things work, you will actually be able to get hands on experience! You will learn:

1. How to prime and shoot dynamite.
    2. Safety precautions when handling explosives.
    3. Where explosives are used.
    4. The curriculum and department of Mining Engineering at UMR.
    5. What careers are available that are explosive related.
    6. How underground blasts work.
    7. How explosives are used in industry.
    8. How to set up and shoot off a fireworks display.
    9. And much more!

What Will You Do?

At the 2005 Summer Explosives Camp you will have the unique opportunity to have hands-on learning experience with explosives: the first and only camp of its kind! The course will comprise a variety of lectures, demonstrations, handling & shooting of explosives, field trips, projects and culminate in the setup and shooting of a fireworks display. It will encompass detonators, high explosives, blasting agents, rock blasting, display fireworks and demolition. You will have a behind the- scenes look at how explosives are used in industry and in entertainment. But the number one thing that you will do at the Summer Explosives Camp is have fun!

Other Activities

You will have the opportunity to go on various field trips, including an underground field trip to view underground blasting operations, a quarry field trip to view surface blasting, and a trip to Premier Pyrotechnics to go on a pyrotechnics tour.

Bring the sunscreen! There will be plenty of outdoor explosives and leisure activities, including a float trip and barbecue!

So what is the best part of setting up a fireworks display? Shooting it! After the pyrotechnic tour, you will get to put on your very own show!

Who gets to go?

Twenty Junior and Senior high school students who are interested in enrolling at UMR.
    ...it's been a long time.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: And this one time at Explosive Camp...

OMG! Coolest. Camp. Ever.

Wish they'd have these for grownups!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Wow, that sounds freaking awesome.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• That's Hawt

Dude ... I Wanna blow something up!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Weird Man! That is not like the camp I went to with soccor and swimming. This would have been way better!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

i don't know...if you read the post i wrote about my summer camp experiences, it was a good thing we had absolutely no access to explosives. it was bad enough with snakes, toothpaste and flagpoles!
    please be afraid.

• Hooterville, USA

Man, when I was a kid, I got in trouble for what they are giving degrees for! I was robbed.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Man, when I was a kid, I got in trouble for what they are giving degrees for! I was robbed.
    yeah! me too!

i remember my uncle showing me how to set off bottle rockets, and he set the neighbors roof on fire. it was minor, but boy did my parents get mad!!
    please be afraid.