• Little Miss Sunshine

Part time Jobs with Benefits?

Okay, I just ended (recently) 6 years working as an independent contractor for a travel agency (Disney related). I'm very lost in what my next job should be!

For now, I'm just looking for something part-time, a little flexible with benefits. I've found several companies that offer that so far: IKEA, Starbucks, and I think Sea World - though the latter would include holidays, and I'm not sure I want to give those up. I believe Publix also offers part-time benefits after a certain period of time, as well as Costco.

I'm trying to extend my list out a bit. And while I have health insurance right now, it is $200 per month with a $1500 deductible and doesn't include two pre-existing conditions (one isn't a big deal at all - just my sinuses, I occasionally get sinus infections). The other probably isn't a big deal either, but something I'd rather have covered (just in case).

If Disney did benefits for PT, I'd apply (even with the holidays). But since they don't, I'm looking elsewhere. Soooo - if anyone works for a company that does that (national company, etc.), I can add it to my list. Oh - I think the YMCA does also, but I'm not seeing any PT jobs open in the area. I really enjoyed what I've been doing the past 6 years, but I think I have to wait one year before going elsewhere.

Thanks!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Part time Jobs with Benefits?

In California full time is considered 30-40 hours a week. Some companies are able to offer part time benefits to people working as low as 20 hours a week. Looking for a job with the intent of getting benefits will help because you can weed out the companies that don't offer them.

Good Luck!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    In California full time is considered 30-40 hours a week. Some companies are able to offer part time benefits to people working as low as 20 hours a week. Looking for a job with the intent of getting benefits will help because you can weed out the companies that don't offer them.

Good Luck!
    40 seems normal here for full time, though some companies do offer benefits at 32+.

Starbucks offers benefits to workers at 20+ hours once they work 3 months, and I think IKEA is similar. I don't need a career-type job right now, but a small paycheck is fine - the benefits would be worth a lot.

And thanks! :0) I had a second job for nearly a year that I liked, it paid well (but there weren't any benefits for that either). It is weird not doing either right now, and I actually do like working.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Make sure you check the rules of your state. After reading you post more closely you mentioned pre-existing condition exclusions which are almost non-existant in CA. Here you can waive something for up to 6 months only if you have not had prior coverage. Knowing that I hope I am giving you correct info. Health laws are completely different state to state.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've known some people who have worked part time at Starbucks and they've liked it well enough. I'm glad my job pays for 100% of my health insurance. Since I work for a non-profit, they don't offer a lot of benefits, but this is a good one to have.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Make sure you check the rules of your state. After reading you post more closely you mentioned pre-existing condition exclusions which are almost non-existant in CA. Here you can waive something for up to 6 months only if you have not had prior coverage. Knowing that I hope I am giving you correct info. Health laws are completely different state to state.
    I have never worked at a job that asked about pre-existing conditions. However, if you don't take the insurance during the opt-in period (or whatever it is called) and want it later, you may be asked to take a physical.

Almost everyone has some sort of pre-existing condition. I haven't had a sinus infection in nearly a year. And something like that is easy to pay out of pocket at a Minute Clinic (or similar). However, I had a breast cancer scare 2 years ago (the lump was benign), and that is something not covered if anything happens. I've had a number of follow-up visits since that time, with no problem. But I don't want to take chances. And $1500 is a pretty large deductible when dealing with health screenings needed for a 40+ year old woman.

On the flip side, I had lost 70 pounds (actually, 80 - but have gained back 10 I need to lose again!) I am MUCH healthier than I was at 30. I was without insurance for a couple of years, but did splurge on a health club membership.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I've known some people who have worked part time at Starbucks and they've liked it well enough. I'm glad my job pays for 100% of my health insurance. Since I work for a non-profit, they don't offer a lot of benefits, but this is a good one to have.
    That is a great benefit! I'd love to have a 401k and such too, but the health one is the biggest.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

most hospitals offer benefits to part time employees who work at least 20hrs a week. and there's usually entry level jobs to be had. not quite sure what type of work you are interested in, but i would highly recommend checking your local hospitals
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Thanks Elly!

I actually forgot UPS and Fed Ex too. Those both would be fine with me, though UPS hours are mostly offered in the very late night/early morning right now. UPS doesn't pay a lot, but the benefits are good and it'd be great exercise as well.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.