Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16

    • So!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,443

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    We know nothing. Possible or not, we don't know.

  2. #17

    • Smells like beer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monkey Sex
    Posts
    4,639

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Mine was a joke Murph-dawg. Have you seen "Back to the Future?"
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

  3. #18

    • The Unknown Princess
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In the Middle of an Ocean
    Posts
    856

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Here's my pet issue with time travel:

    Money exchanges. Think about this: you take dollars from now, which due to inflation are worth way less than they used to be (eg: cheaper, an hour's labor can get you more of them now than they used to). You take those dollars back in time, to when they're worth more, pop them in a bank account and pick them back up in the future. You could theoretically do this ad infinitum. The entire monetary system would collapse. Also, the stock markets would collapse because, knowing the future, or rather the past, you can go back to the past, invest, and return to the future. But time travel, once invented, would never be able to remain exclusive to one person, and it would have to do so in perpetuity.

    Therefore, the invention of time travel would be disastrous to economies of the past, present, and possibly future.

    This does have a valid point BUT you have to remember that our dollars or most of them nowdays have a date stamped on it somewhere. So if you took a dollar that said 1997 on it, the dollar would be considered counterfeit back then unless you travelled within the dates of the money you have and now.

    Now the actual topic of time travel. Its the ripple effect. At the point you go back in time, everything you say, do, breathe, step on, come across will send a 'wave' of differences in the time line of your 'present' which now has become your future. But your 'present present' is now different because it is now your 'present future'. It will always be the ripple effect same as throwing a rock into a pond. It looks the same, but the undercurrents are different because one rock has moved.

    I hope I made sense and didn't live up to my name TOO much


    **this topic made my brain hurt a bit. so back I go to posting nonsense**

  4. #19

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Mmm, Scott Bakula and his effect.

    Wasn't it "proven" that you can't time travel?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  5. #20

    • So!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,443

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBeer
    Mine was a joke Murph-dawg. Have you seen "Back to the Future?"
    I know it was a joke, and yes. I own all three. But I just had to say that, I stand by my time travel.

  6. #21

    • ...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    966

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    So basically, once you travel back in time, you're lost to the present forever. Therefore, there is no way to conclude that time travel is successful, therefore the whole project will be abandoned as a fatal pasttime, but only in the current present.
    Now you're talking!!! Of course, the mere fact that the time traveler didn't return allows one to believe that something did happen. Perhaps they liked the past too much to return to the present. OR, something terribly wrong happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Mmm, Scott Bakula and his effect.

    Wasn't it "proven" that you can't time travel?
    Try telling that to Ziggy.


    ALSO, too add into the mix: The funniest time travel hoax site (because people still believe this man traveled through time): http://www.johntitor.com/

  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    time travel in theory can be good and bad... by saving seone you alter the time stream into a different direction.. take one slight change.. you could alter history forever.. in another theory.. whatever you do it will fix itself...

    not taking chances am I...

  8. #23

    • rainy day girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    walking in the rain
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    An excellent story illustrating the hazardous potential effects of time travel is "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. If the subject interests you, I suggest you check it out.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

  9. #24

    • is FIERCE!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere Major
    Posts
    8,004
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    ^ That book is now a movie, for those with too much ADD to read- I saw the preview for it this weekend. Although I fully expect it to be crappy. Timeline by Micheal Crichton was a good book on time travel as well, but the movie was horribly lame.

  10. #25

    • MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,042
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Doesn't anyone remember the show "The Adventures of Pete and Pete" on Nickelodeon? It was proven that in order for time travel to work one needs to ingest large amounts of Riboflavin.


    Riboflavin. It's the way to go, and damn the consequences!
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson



  11. #26

    • Feel the breeze!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the beach!
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Source - Newscientist, June 18, 2005

    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/dn7535

    THE laws of physics seem to permit time travel, and with it, paradoxical situations such as the possibility that people could go back in time to prevent their own birth. But it turns out that such paradoxes may be ruled out by the weirdness inherent in laws of quantum physics.

    Some solutions to the equations of Einstein's general theory of relativity lead to situations in which space-time curves back on itself, theoretically allowing travellers to loop back in time and meet younger versions of themselves. Because such time travel sets up paradoxes, many researchers suspect that some physical constraints must make time travel impossible. Now, physicists Daniel Greenberger of the City University of New York and Karl Svozil of the Vienna University of Technology in Austria have shown that the most basic features of quantum theory may ensure that time travellers could never alter the past, even if
    they are able to go back in time.

  12. #27

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    I tend to subscribe to the quantum theory of the multiverse, which simply put says that there are infinite timelines, that increase constantly with every possible outcome of every possible decision or action anyone or anything can make. This negates the entire purpose of time travel, because it leads to two possible outcomes:

    a - Time travel to alter an event (and really, your mere presense makes a new timeline) merely creates a new timeline, and jumping back to the "original" timeline will reflect no changes, because you're still on the timeline you left from.

    b - You are unable to make changes to "your" timeline, because it is already written. This causes time itself to simply spit you out of the continuum. Hello oblivion!

    Faced with those choices, I'll stick with my imperfect world, thank you!

    "Nature abhors a paradox"
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  13. #28

    • Bear Country Refugee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    726

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Wasn't it "proven" that you can't time travel?

    Time travel not possible?! Next you'll be telling me that I didn't shrunk down smaller than an atom when I rode ATIS. Do you think I'm that gullible?

  14. #29

    • Puppy Cuddles
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Probably in my room...
    Posts
    860

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    Seriously guys, time travel is only possible if you can get up enough speed by slingshotting yourself around the sun and only a good idea if you need to bring humpback whales back to the future to save the world. Or possibly if you need to follow a Borg sphere back in time so they don't prevent first contact. Any other times, it totally flips off the Prime DIrective and we all know that's not Kosher.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

  15. #30

    • Luckiest Man Alive!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stanton, CA.
    Posts
    177

    Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

    OK - to dismiss the people that say that time travel is not possible:
    It is in fact possible to travel back in time, just not practical with today's technology. I know, I've studied it.

    Here goes:
    Whenever you look up, into the night sky, you are looking into the past. Light travels at a given speed, the light that you are seeing from those stars, left those stars a LONG time ago. The star clusters/patterns that we now see, are really not there right now, we are seeing what their position/orientation was in the past. If anyone on a planet orbiting those stars happens to be looking back at the Earth, depending on their distance from our planet, they could be seeing dinosaurs.......

    Time Travel? It's easy, build a ship that can travel faster than the speed of light, leave the Earth, accelerate multiple times the speed of light, slow down, turn around & travel back to Earth at sub-light speed. If you traveled far enough away at faster-than-light speed, you will be reaching the Earth at a point before you left.

    Problems with this theory? With present technology, building the ship is the challenge........Propulsion technology is in it's infancy. You could use a nuke to accelerate a ship faster than the speed of light, but the shielding would have to be very well built & designed. Not to mention guidance systems - I worked on a project 21+ years ago that was called 'StarTracker' (at Northrop Electronics) - it was intended to allow guidance by computer tracking fixed star positions (remember, this was in the days before GPS technologh). In the Time Travel equation, even that technology would be frought with problems - you travel back in time, star positions move - you'd need a computer to recalculate actual versus intended star positions to determine where you are......

    Money - that's easy, take an example from Doc in BTTF, by a lot of old money from a Numismatic dealer.

    What to change? Anything your conscience will allow you to do (personally I'd buy stock in something called MicroSoft in the past).
    Last edited by Robert951; 08-03-2005 at 08:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:44 PM
  2. Problems with "Disney Way" and "Disneyland Drive"
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 03:07 PM
  3. "Serenity" and "Greatest Game"- What an afternoon!!!!!
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •