Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

Robert: but the light from those stars exists in the present day. Like you said, it travels, so we're seeing actual present-day rays which just may or may not have more rays coming behind them.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Morrigoon - Yes, you are seeing that light after it's travelled billions of miles, yes, there is more light coming behind it. But, we're living at one small point in time, if there were some way to live much longer than we now do, you would see that light bend and move location over eons of time. Planetary photography (X-ray, UV, Infrared) is a new technology, it will take centuries of observation to actually plot star movement and/or shift.

One other problem with my idea - Einstein sez that matter accelerated to the speed of light becomes energy. HMMMM, nobody has been able to prove that one way or another, but I think some form of shielding or a 'bubble' of anti-matter would be needed to protect anything approaching and/or surpassing the speed of light.

Robert: the point I'm making is that by seeing the light from distant stars, we're not "seeing into the past". We're seeing light that exists in the present day, which has traveled a great distance and has just arrived at our eyes.

Of course, when you start thinking like that, you realize you're not seeing ANYTHING beyond the surface of your eyeball, because you don't see something until the light hits your eyes.

Ow. My brain hurts.

Anyway, regarding Einstein, didn't he imply that to travel at the speed of light you had to have no mass?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Morrigoon:
    My brain is also starting to fry......

Einstein: Now you're forcing me to think back to my Senior Year Physics class (1974) where our teacher asked us to not take notes and just pay attention to his 1 day lecture (for 1 hour) about the Theory Of Relativity:

E=MC2

E=Energy
    M=Mass
    C=Speed Of Light

As Mass approaches the Speed Of Light, it is transfomed into Energy (as the molecules of Mass are accelerated).

From the Sanford U Web Site:

This tells us the energy corresponding to a mass m at rest. What this means is that when mass disappears, for example in a nuclear fission process, this amount of energy must appear in some other form. It also tells us the total energy of a particle of mass m sitting at rest.

In fact Einstein's relationship tells us more, it says Energy and mass are interchangeable. Or, better said, rest mass is just one form of energy. For a compound object, the mass of the composite is not just the sum of the masses of the constituents but the sum of their energies, including kinetic, potential, and mass energy. The equation E=mc2 shows how to convert between energy units and mass units. Even a small mass corresponds to a significant amount of energy.

Robert's crazy theories again:
    What does this tell us?
    My brain is now fried......

Anybody who's ever burned furniture at a 4th of July bonfire coulda told you that

So... what you're saying is, regarless of its relation to time, if we approached the speed of light, we'd burn up, and therefore time travel (with the exception of that already noted by Nasa) should not be possible?

Then again... if you follow the laws of physics, bumblebees and helicopters shouldn't fly. They only do so because they beat the air into submission.

Travelling fast does allow timetravel, but only to the future. The only way to the past is through sight, that I can easily conceive.
    Take Alpha Centauri, which is a star 4 light years away, what you are seeing is the light given off by Alpha Centauri 4 years ago. You are seeing into the past, waht it looked like 4 years ago. Now imagine that Alpha Centauri is actually a freakin' huge mirror and you have an awesome telescope. You are seeing light reflected from that mirror 4 years ago, but it also took 4 years for those light beams to reach the mirror from earth. Thus, you are able to see 8 years into the past. Voila! Time travel.

Physically travelling into the past I can't figure out. I know that approaching the speed of light there become massive time dilation issues, in that you experience a relative slowing down of time to the outside universe. But also at the same time as approach light speed so start aquiring more and more mass and it takes more power. Until when you approach lightspeed, you lose all mass and essentially become energy, and the time dilation is complete. Time is permenantly frozen for you, and with no mass you have no momentum to stop and cannot generate friction, you are therefore trapped at the speed of light for all eternity and cannot escape, and you will have no idea about it since you're realitive experience of time passage will have stopped. The entire future existence of the universe until The End of All Things will go unnoticed by you since you will experience not even the slightest passage of time.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Smells like beer

I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• So!

The answer to our prayers! This is what we needed all along.

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Thumbs up Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

mrmainstreet:

I had a discussion with one of my employees today (frustrated rocket scientist) and we hit on your idea of the time dilation also. I love this thread......

• LoisAlene

If you could travel into the past, we'd have time tourists all over the place. How could you keep something like that secret from todays peoples?

So, no time tourists implies no time travel.

Wait, actually I'm travelling into the future right Now! It's 10 minutes later than when I started to read this thread. Woot!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Iron-Clad Allie

If I could travel back and forth in time, then I could easily win at the various Vegas games, the lottery, horseracing, plus I could declare myself the new Nostradamous. I could also prevent crime. Come to think of it, I'd just be too damn busy!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    Doesn't anyone remember the show "The Adventures of Pete and Pete" on Nickelodeon? It was proven that in order for time travel to work one needs to ingest large amounts of Riboflavin.
    I loved that show, but strangely enough I don't remember that episode.

• The Unknown Princess

http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/001242.php

I saw this comic strip and loved it from the start. Interesting thoughts on time (in general).

err don't know if its

Quote Originally Posted by Robert951
    mrmainstreet:

I had a discussion with one of my employees today (frustrated rocket scientist) and we hit on your idea of the time dilation also. I love this thread......
    Thanx, I enjoyed physics back in the day.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123