Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

If time travel was theoretically possible, what problems would it pose?

(You can take this in many directions - economic issues, social issues, the problem of trying to return to your own time after changing anything in the past, etc. Go to town.)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Re: Problems with Time Travel - a "What if?" game

i think i would not have been born for starters....
    please be afraid.

Details?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

my parents would have definatly kept themselves from meeting....trust me, the world would have been better off with that not happening!
    could you imagine having to go back in time to fix something, then realize you are worse off with the change? never ending cycle...a la back to the future. if i were born and i could go back, i'd force myself to study more in school,and totally ignore the blonde guy with the 4X4!
    please be afraid.

Here's my pet issue with time travel:

Money exchanges. Think about this: you take dollars from now, which due to inflation are worth way less than they used to be (eg: cheaper, an hour's labor can get you more of them now than they used to). You take those dollars back in time, to when they're worth more, pop them in a bank account and pick them back up in the future. You could theoretically do this ad infinitum. The entire monetary system would collapse. Also, the stock markets would collapse because, knowing the future, or rather the past, you can go back to the past, invest, and return to the future. But time travel, once invented, would never be able to remain exclusive to one person, and it would have to do so in perpetuity.

Therefore, the invention of time travel would be disastrous to economies of the past, present, and possibly future.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

^ This issue was addressed, oddly enough, by a south park episode- Time travel allowed cheap labor from the future to be imported- they could be paid pennies an hour which destroyed the labor force. The workers from the future then deposited these pennies into the bank and their families in the future basically bankrupted the economy because those pennies had grown exponentially over time.

I agree Morri- that this would be one of the many fatal flaws in time travel.

• The one on the left.

For me the biggest problem will be planning. If I don't plan now to come back to a spot that is causing me problems I probably won't remember about it when I get my time machine. Thankfully I have already given this matter some thought and know that all I need is a sign. If I hold up a sign saying "stop here" in the present then when I'm coming back through with my time machine I will know to stop and talk to myself and find out what I need to do.

Now I know that that idea sounds crazy but I figure when people see me standing there talking to myself they will already think that I've gone nuts so it all washes.

Now just in case this whole post ends up sounding stupid I had better make a sign for myself so that I can go back far enough to stop me from typing it.

Carry on.
    Ooo, heaven is a place on earth.

If you go back and change something in the past, however little, it changes every future move, so when you return to the future, you're not returning to the future. And what if you change something that causes you not to have access to time travel at the exact point in the future you left? Do you disappear and undo everything you've done? Does no change exist?

• So!

It's like a big circle if you try to change something about yourself. If you go back, change problem A, because of that you never went back and changed it in the first place because problem A never exsisted so that means problem A never changed, so that means you went back to change it but then after you do problem A never exsisted so that means you never changed so then you go back.....see where I'm going here?

Yep.

• The one on the left.

Actually I thought that quantum theory said that all paths exist always. In other words all possible situations are actually being lived out simultaneously. Any change that can be made has been made and you are simply not conscious of that particular plane of existance.

Just in case however I am still going to leave myself a sign.

Carry on.
    Ooo, heaven is a place on earth.

What about time travel without consquence/paradox? Each time someone travels back in time, they create a rip in the spacetime continium and thus create an alternative reality. This alternative reality exists as a parallel universe created by the time traveler. Anything that occurs, occurs seperately from any existing "present" reality.

Example: Joe Smith traveles back to 1955 and stops Disneyland from opening. The reality he creates from the point which he arrives in that traveled-to 1955 all the way up to infinity is a seperate and parallel reality that cannot be re-created or destroyed. Can he travel back to 2005? No, because one can only time travel into the past. Joe Smith can either travel into yet another version of the past or simply wait for the future to occur and accept whatever consquences that might occur as a result of altering (or not altering) history as it was written.

Anyone is free to poke holes in this far-fetched theory of time travel.

So basically, once you travel back in time, you're lost to the present forever. Therefore, there is no way to conclude that time travel is successful, therefore the whole project will be abandoned as a fatal pasttime, but only in the current present.

• So!

Problems with Time Travel -a "What if?" game aka "Read this if You Want a Headache"

Sorry, had to say that. But that doesn't apply to me, I love this stuff

• Smells like beer

Pfffttt....You guys seriously come on now. We all know time travel is impossible, unless you have a Flux Capacitor. Now lets just stop being silly.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast