Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: It's an acquired taste...

Like Andrew Zimmern says, always try everything twice.

• See you there!

Different folks like different things.

For example sushi. When I first heard sushi, I thought “ewww”. Then I tried it, I went to a sushi restaurant with some work associates who liked sushi and they explained what everything was and I tried it, I liked most of what I tried that day. Now I like sashimi (skip the rice) and poke. My favorite sushi is eel, kind of a desert sushi to me. Some folks would hear eel and run screaming, and that’s OK.

My son likes some sushi, (not much for the raw fish) but his favorite is the eel, and he doesn’t like poached eggs or eggs of any kind of egg except hard boiled, he has tried them multiple times an for him it is not so much the taste, but the texture of the eggs (and other food with similar texture).

As for the acquired taste part, I believe (at least for me) I need to try most things at least once, and maybe more before I make up my mind. As a result I like most things except curry but I tried it a couple of times. I will eat it if that is all that is offered, but if given a choice I would choose something else. So, in order to acquire a taste, one has to try something, perhaps more than once to make a decision.

Yep, I will try most things…

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    All of our tastes change. Although I'd love to see an adult taking the crust off of their sandwich.
    Hehe, I'll do it!

I'm the same way about beer. I never liked beer up until now. For my birthday I ended up drinking Heineken and I liked it. I also drank Coronas last month and I really liked those. I found myself last Saturday enjoying the beers more than the shots and fruity malt liquor drinks I always used to drink.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I continue to try things as my taste buds to change. 10 years ago I would not eat shrimp or onions. Now I love them both. About every 5 years or so I try mushrooms but they continue to not be to my liking. Sushi is one of those things that when I first tried it I could not stand it, then a few years later tried it again and found out some it was pretty good.

Bottom line if its good for you then you should continue to try things that you did not like. If it is bad for you like tobacco and illegal drugs then stay away from it.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I continue to try things as my taste buds to change.

Bottom line if its good for you then you should continue to try things that you did not like. If it is bad for you like tobacco and illegal drugs then stay away from it.
    Great post!! There are things that I've tried and at first I thought they were meh. So I gave them a second chance, or tried them prepared a different way and grew to like them i.e. acquired a taste for them. Just another little way that we grow and change. And yes, I make my kids try things they formerly didn't care for if I prepare them different. There's no "it's icky" factor in my house, everything needs to be tried or they'd be eating PB&J and mac & cheese and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Can't I just take an aspirin every day? I know red wine is supposed to be so good for you. What do you drink, Onut? I cannot get used to the taste!
    I used to hate all kinds of wine until the last few years. My dad is very into wines, especially reds. He started me on experimenting with different wines. I tried a white wine made of pineapple from Maui first and then begin trying more and more. It's hit or miss, some are wonderful some are meh. BUT, it's fun to try different wines and even better when you try them with the right pairings, chocolates, some cheeses. Not to mention its fun to do together
    Last edited by dsnylndmom; 02-15-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Seasick

My tastes have changed over time. I wouldn't try something I don't like a week later, but later on perhaps.

Something like sushi might be considered an aquired taste, because there's a psychological element to it. People can be turned off at the thought of eating raw fish. It take a few tries to get past the ickiness concept, and to enjoy the taste.

But yeah, in general, if you don't like something, don't eat it. Life's too short.

• Man O Lantern

I'm a pretty picky eater, but I love sushi, wine and beers that I didn't like 10 years ago. And vegetables.

I used to only like steamed or raw vegetables. Then I could only eat them saute'ed with butter and garlic. Lately, they have to be seared with garlic, cumin and chili pepper....sometimes with dijon.

Ten years ago I hated wine. But I kept trying it because my husband loves it. At first I'd drink a fruity or reeeeally oaky chardonnay with seafood. I drank hard cider at the pub. But I haaaated red wine. Then I discovered a red I liked and my tastes developed from there and now I can't imagine my life without red wine (except zinfandel--yuck). I started to hate white wine, but now I've developed even more...and I can appreciate a good white wine again. But no hard cider--it's too sweet for me.

And beer. I've always loved a good microbrew, but I never strayed away from what I liked--wheat beers or a pale ale. That was it. Then we started beer tasting, and what do you know? Turns out I like IPA, porters, stout, all these things I thought were gross 10 years ago, I really can appreciate now.

And sushi...if you'd told me ten years ago that I'd crave a big fat seared tuna steak pretty much 24/7, I'd have thought you were nuts. Or a nagiri platter followed by something dipped in roe? No way. Mmmm, and now I can't go more than two weeks without some raw fish.

Anyway, my point is that some of my very favorite things were things I had zero interest or taste for some time ago, but I grew as a person and my tastes developed and matured. And now I can't live without these things.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

stinkerbell said cumin

• Man O Lantern

What? I love cumin.

• Senior Minion

An acquired taste for me: single malt scotch, especially Laphroaig. I love the stuff now, but 20 years ago, I would have rather sipped some Drano (which smelled about the same to me.)

A taste I never intend to acquire: This week I found a discarded can on our front lawn (it happens) of something combining "Clamato" (clam juice + tomato juice) and Budweiser. For some reason, I don't really want to meet whoever in my neighborhood who is buying and consuming that stuff!

• Clearing my Calendar

I think acquired taste is about exploration – not about forcing oneself to eat or drink something. Up until last year, I couldn’t stand olives despite my husband gobbling them up. One day we were cooking an all day meal with my FIL and they were eating olives to hold them over while the meal cooked. They literally made the olives look so appetizing, I had one.

Now I like varieties that even my husband won’t touch! Olives!

It was kind of the same thing with sushi (and coffee and whatever else I previously didn’t like but do now). I tried it – didn’t like it. Then was with someone who literally made it sound or look so good I had to try it again. Sometimes I didn’t like the taste again, sometimes I did.

If I didn’t like it the second time, within weeks I’d find myself ravenously craving it. It’s weird.

I love exploration of food! It’s fun!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Curiouser and Curiouser

It is a fact that as you grow older you loose tastebuds, you never get new ones. This explains why little kids do not really like hot and spicy foods (they are too strong) wheras adults mouths have less tastebuds and are able to handle the flavor.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    A taste I never intend to acquire: This week I found a discarded can on our front lawn (it happens) of something combining "Clamato" (clam juice + tomato juice) and Budweiser. For some reason, I don't really want to meet whoever in my neighborhood who is buying and consuming that stuff!
    I believe that's called a white trash bloody mary!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara View Post
    It is a fact that as you grow older you loose tastebuds, you never get new ones. This explains why little kids do not really like hot and spicy foods (they are too strong) wheras adults mouths have less tastebuds and are able to handle the flavor.
    Kids really are SuperTasters that way. They get overwhelmed easily, I think, which is why they are often reluctant to try new things (or even to try old things in a new way.)

There are many foods mentioned here that almost require a "gateway" version to get you hooked in, like wine/beer or sushi. Once you find an example/style/brand that you really like, you are more open to checking out other options. It's not about forcing yourself to like something, it's more about being open to the possibility that you might like it later. One good glass of wine/cup of coffee/tofu stir fry can change your life!
    A signature should go here.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Like Andrew Zimmern says, always try everything twice.
    I love him! Him and Anthony Bourdain!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Same for beer, when I was five, I didn't like it, I preferred a Capri Sun
    Seriously, this may be the funniest damn thing I've ever read. Totally awesome!

I can understand the acquired taste idea. I hated beer for the longest time. I'd be the only guy at the party drinking Dr Pepper because to me beer was simply carbonated urine. But then I was introduced to what would become a great love of my life: porter. It changed me in ways I can't describe and led me to discover other beers I now enjoy. Frequently.

I've been trying for years to acquire a taste for wine but just can't break through. My wife adores wines but I can't get past the vinegariness of them all. Even when I lived in France and had to drink wine with every meal I couldn't get over it. Blech. But, I'm still trying to do it. Being able to enjoy a bottle with my wife without cringing will be a big enough payoff to compensate for any ickiness I have to tolerate along the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast