Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• For You!

It's an acquired taste...

I've heard this phrase a few times in the last few days - and frankly, I just don't get it.

People have referred to sushi, beer, cigarettes, wine and diet coke and keep saying that it's an acquired taste. So, if you don't like it the first time, why keep having it? Why the need to acquire a taste for it? I can't stand diet coke, so, why would I keep drinking it to try and enjoy it? My husband said the first time he tried cigarettes, he hacked, threw up and hated the taste - but kept doing it (thank heavens he quit).

I'm not 6 and I'm not being forced to eat brussel sprouts anymore. Why be an adult and force yourself to eat and drink things you don't like because you think you're supposed to like it.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I'll pencil this in later

Re: It's an acquired taste...

I'm with you on this.
    If i don't like something the first couple times, what makes you think I'll like it more after more and more tries?
    I'd rather not acquire that taste!

• Banned User

I have to agree Jen! I detest wine and most booze. I am not about to start forcing myself to acquire a taste for it at this stage in life.

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

I believe it's something about the maturing of your taste buds. I read somewhere they only last 3 days or 1 week or something like that, then you get new ones. More mature ones that may be more open to new tastes.

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Perhaps there were things that you did not care to eat as a child, that you found that you really did like after all as an adult. I don't know if that is an acquired taste, or perhaps the food was prepared differently.

• no flash photography...

I don;t think it's a keep eating stuff you hate idea....I have found as I get older stuff I used to detest I know like. It's not that I kept eating it until I liked it. It's just one day i tried it again and I liked it. Onions come to mind...and diet dr pepper. diet coke is not my favorite, but I really don't like the super sweet sugary regular coke either. I used to only like sweet wines, now I hate sweet wine and prefer a dry full bodied wine. I think tastes just change, therefore you acquire a taste for it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I too have come to like some things I hated as a kid. Growing up, I hated black pepper on anything. Now I add it to certain things for an extra kick. Also as a kid, I hated mayonnaise. Now I like it, especially on certain sandwiches. I'll even eat broccoli now if it's smothered in cheese sauce.

But then some things haven't changed. I still hate mustard, pickles (except for those sweet brad & butter chips) and raw tomatoes.

It's very true that one's taste perception changes as one matures, but I think an acquired taste more refers to the appreciation of examples of sublte nuances in foods or beverages that are beneath what might seem a strong, spicy or pungent initial taste. For example, I don't know anyone who loved the taste of gin the first time -- or even the second. And I know plenty that can't stand it at all. I used to hate it as well, but over the years I knew people who taught me how to appreciate its wonderful flavor, and I developed, as an adult, an acquired taste for it. The same with coffee. I drink it black, and like so many, I can distinguish and appreciate a really good cup of coffee. Or take certain cheeses. They can have such wonderful, complex favors, but to get to them, you have to overcome some pretty stong aromas and weird flavors first. But then you get it.

But in my opinion, just because it's an acquired taste doesn't mean it's good. It's all about the individual. If you don't like -- and further you don't want to like it, then by all means, don't eat or drink it. I like to expand my horizons with food because I was such a picky eater as a kid. Now I like just about everything.

• For You!

I'm not really talking about things you hated as a kid and then your taste buds developing (or actually getting less sensitive, as I've been told). I'm talking about things you do as an adult -

• That Guy

[quote=<3WillTurner;2560848]I believe it's something about the maturing of your taste buds. quote]

I second this.

If we never tried things as adults, that we rejected as kids, restaurants would only sell dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, and tots.

As an adult, you get to try things in a whole new light. I never was offered sushi as an child, but as an adult I'm all over it.

Same for beer, when I was five, I didn't like it, I preferred a Capri Sun, but now, I can totally appreciate a fine micro brew, etc.

I feel sorry for people who don't at least try new things (drugs and crap television excepted)

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Some things you don't like initially are things you SHOULD eat or drink. For example; wine. It's good for you in moderation and I hated red wine. But the more I drank it the more I liked it and now I LOVE red wine.

And if you end up being diagnosed with some medical issues and you have to change your eating habits, you just have to force yourself to eat things you didn't like before, and a lot of the time you just get used to it and end up liking them. Like when I had to change things up after my cholesterol numbers were high, I started eating things I hated before, but now like. More veggies. Bananas and nuts. Things like that.

So IMHO, there's nothing wrong with something being an aquired taste. Sometimes ya just gotta do it!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree. I will not drink coffee, beer or wine. No matter how many times you try to make me. They are all icky....and I'm not gonna force myself to drink enough to like them!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

All of our tastes change. Although I'd love to see an adult taking the crust off of their sandwich.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Some things you don't like initially are things you SHOULD eat or drink. For example; wine. It's good for you in moderation and I hated red wine. But the more I drank it the more I liked it and now I LOVE red wine.

And if you end up being diagnosed with some medical issues and you have to change your eating habits, you just have to force yourself to eat things you didn't like before, and a lot of the time you just get used to it and end up liking them. Like when I had to change things up after my cholesterol numbers were high, I started eating things I hated before, but now like. More veggies. Bananas and nuts. Things like that.

So IMHO, there's nothing wrong with something being an aquired taste. Sometimes ya just gotta do it!
    Totally agree.

I hated beer. I would put sugar packets in it. Then I tried a lambeic (sp?) at BJ's Brewery. That was yummy. That gradually went to ales, then I found myself in love with Guiness and super dark beers. Favorite beer still? Nutty Brunette. It's yummy and I think it fits my personality. And now the raspberry lambeic, ew! Too sweet! Same with wines. Everyone I know used to give me such crap because I loved the super sweet wine, (I can't spell these words so bear with me) Muscato Bianco is an example. Now gag! My dad saw an apple wine and got it for me. I drank it to be polite. Icky!

Things like sushi or things that just the description doesn't sound good, you have to jump in! Start with a California roll and then find yourself knee deep raw fish. An aquired taste... I don't know you figure you try everything of what you're tasting and something is yummy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    you SHOULD eat or drink. For example; wine. It's good for you in moderation and I hated red wine. But the more I drank it the more I liked it and now I LOVE red wine.
    !
    Can't I just take an aspirin every day? I know red wine is supposed to be so good for you. What do you drink, Onut? I cannot get used to the taste!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast