Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling My Age.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Feeling My Age.

A little bit of trivia: I was scanning the calendar for birthdays and checking ages. My birthday is about a month away. Curious to see, who was about my age. Of the listed ages, I only found a few. A few gentleman older and only noticed one female, about my age. Most people don't like to discuss their age. I call myself an "almost 60 Granny". In fact, I will be 58 in September. Starting to feel my age physically. Mentally, I don't feel that old. My 12 year old grandson keeps me young. He was the reason, that I started playing video games, and reading Harry Potter. I took him to WDW on my first vacation there. He was supposed to go to Disneyland with me, but could not make it, but I will return, I promised him, and I won't break that promise. Age is a state of mind they say, until the knees don't want to move. Just feeling my age. Never thought I would be one of the oldest in a group. You MiceChatters are so young. I grew up with Walt Disney. I watched the original Mickey Mouse Club. I loved Spin and Marty. I remember when the program went to Color. I saw Tinkerbell fly on television. I remember Annette. I remember Walt Disney talking about his Disneyland. My favorite was the Jiminy Cricket spots "I"m No Fool."

Thanks for your time.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Feeling My Age.

I totally agree that age is a state of mind, but sometimes it still starts to ache!! I can relate!!!

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you do so much with your grandson. I was extremely close to my grandma and some of my best memories of my childhood are just silly times of me and her together. We were so close she used to tell people I was like her 4th child. Out of 3 kids, 8 grandkids and 2 great grandkids I was the ONLY ONE with brown hair and eyes like her so it was totally believable~ I just wish we could've gone to Disneyland together

I'm sure that you and your grandson will have a magical trip to Disneyland together and I am so glad that you decided to join Mice Chat and become such an active posters. I always enjoy your posts and I hope you stay with us here!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Still wants to be a cat!

Well Barb, I'm 45 and not ashamed to say, yes I do feel the years coming on more and more, but with a 8 (almost 9) year old daughter who keeps me hopping, I hope to keep in that "young" state of mind for years to come. All the micechatters I've met don't seem to even notice how much older I am, we all have that one love - Disneyland! No age limit there!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    I totally agree that age is a state of mind, but sometimes it still starts to ache!! I can relate!!!

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you do so much with your grandson. I was extremely close to my grandma and some of my best memories of my childhood are just silly times of me and her together. We were so close she used to tell people I was like her 4th child. Out of 3 kids, 8 grandkids and 2 great grandkids I was the ONLY ONE with brown hair and eyes like her so it was totally believable~ I just wish we could've gone to Disneyland together

I'm sure that you and your grandson will have a magical trip to Disneyland together and I am so glad that you decided to join Mice Chat and become such an active posters. I always enjoy your posts and I hope you stay with us here!!
    I myself have two grown sons. I only have the one grandson. I tell him, sometimes, I have three boys. He is like my son, since I changed his diapers too. He is at that age, now, where he doesn't like me telling stories about him. We do Disney together. Him, his mom and I. We always have a blast. It will be fun showing them Disneyland, now that I have already been. MiceChatters are so big hearted.

• Hooterville, USA

We may be older than most MiceChatters, but we remember the original DL. Don't know if being older is better for most, but for me it's great! Being older just means that we got a head start in life. Sort of like a "fast pass".

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My brother always says that. I am the second child of 4. My older brother was exactly 53 weeks older than me, and died in 1994. My sister and younger brother are still alive. It is my younger brother, who always says. It is always a good day, when I wake up, and I am still here. My mom will be 80 on her next birthday.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I have many memories of sharing Disneyland with my grandfather as a young child. I still cherish those above almost all others from my youngest years. Your grandson, I have no doubt, will feel the same. He is lucky to have you, and you to have him.

I have SO much appreciation for the memories that you have from when Walt was alive and Disney was in it's true Golden Age. When my father was about 4 years old, he went to Disneyland and they saw Walt on Main Street. And Walt saw my Dad, leaned down and shook his little 4 year old hand. How lucky for those people who have the memories that those of us who were born later just can't have.

Age is a beautiful thing.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Just Me

Age is simply a number. I will be 37 next month. My Hubby just turned 36. He is having a lot more issues with his age than I am with mine (which I tend to exploit every chance I get).

We recently went to a friend's 50th b-day party. My m-i-l watched The Boy for us. She was shocked that we have friends that are closer to her age than to ours. Hubby has friends his own age, where most of mine are 10 yrs older than me.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

First off, I you Barbaraann. That was so fun to read. And yes, Mice Chatters do have big hearts and yours is so full of wonderful Disneyland memories! I for one am envious.

Second, don't ever leave Mice Chat! (I'm one of those people who has *issues* w/ getting older... )
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There is something about almost being 60. It seems so old. I did not feel bad about 50. In fact I spent my 50th Birthday at Walt Disney World, with my grandson, ( who was 4 at the time) and my husband. My husband said, at the time, that he wanted to go back to WDW, but he never has.

The day of my 50th birthday was spent at Magic Kingdom. It was 1997. The castle was a cake. I have many pictures of that pink Castle. I know a lot of people did not like it. For me, it was the first castle I saw. We spent the afternoon at Downtown Disney. That was disappointing. We returned to the Polynesian. I was starving. I told my husband I wasn't returning to our room without dinner. Our grandson had fallen asleep at Downtown Disney and we were strollerless. Well we walked up to Ohana's. It is September 4, 1997. It is a little later in the evening. We had a beautiful dinner at Ohana's. I got sang to - Happy Birthday and they played "Hawaii 50" music, We sipped drinks with umbrellas. We saw the fireworks from Ohana's. None of it was planned. Spontaneous. I wasn't going back to my room hungry, on my birthday. We probably would have ordered Room Service. But this was so much more special. It wasn't planned - it just happened - I have pictures. My grandson pushed coconuts and played silly games, and I felt like a queen, who did not mind being 50.

Almost 10 years later, why does 60 seem so old? Maybe I will just stop counting at 59.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Almost 10 years later, why does 60 seem so old? Maybe I will just stop counting at 59.
    :: cheer!!!:: I'm 35 and have no issues with my age. I do have some issue that I'm starting to *look* my age, but other than that I'm fine. Hubby is 8 months younger than me and seems to feel it more than I do.

• LoisAlene

Barbaraann - I take care of older folks, one of my clients is 82. He says it takes a lot longer for his get up and go to get Up, but he still Goes. My mom is 78 and still is extremely active. The people that seem to be happiest with their age are those who keep active. Disney and a grandson will do both quite nicely.
    My mom says that growing old isn't for Sissies.
    I say that growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

To quote one of my fav singers, I plan on growing older but not up. Keep yourself healthy and active. Mindset plays a huge part. See yourself as you want to be - thats what you'll get. Have you ever seen a "young" person that acts like they're 80? Not a pretty sight. (((hugs)))

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Two of my favorite Walt Disney quotes are:

"Why do we have to grow up?" and

"That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up."

Just loved the little book that lists Walt Disney quotes. Funny, I read somewhere that he liked being called by his first name. The mouseketeers always called him Mr. Disney. A term of respect, from the 50's. Seems right to me. I just can't bring myself to call him "Walt".

• LoisAlene

I have always thought of him as Uncle Walt. I was little when the Wonderful World of Disney was on tv. He just Looked like an Uncle I would have liked to have. At that age I wasn't aware of the Disney legacy, just that he looked like somebody who would be fun to know.
    So many years of him were taken from us! Please, smoking Mice Chatters, think before you light up. We'd hate to lose you prematurely as well.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast