How to start off in the stock market?

Ok I need links with info on exact how to work the stock market and such
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee
    When someone takes a dump in my bathroom and doesn't turn on the fan, I don't need to prove who crapped. I already know it stinks.

VMK Name:IAnglez

• Former Cast Member

Re: How to start off in the stock market?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse-Maniac View Post
    Ok I need links with info on exact how to work the stock market and such

Go to Ing.com, which has Sharebuilder.com as part of their group. I myself have joined recently and created an account for my wife and I. It is really easy to navigate. I have already bought 5 shares of Disney stock and am having fun watching its daily activitiy. It is very affordable as compared to the big brokerage houses. Go check it out and you are under no obligation at all. Hope this helps.

Again either Ing.com or sharebuilder.com

• Senior Minion

Disclaimer: I used to be a stockbroker, and even a principal. Thankfully, I did not have to play one on TV.

The first question you need to ask is, why are you investing in the stock market, and what are your goals? As the Cheshire Cat said, if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

If you can share a little of that, I'll try to point you in some directions that might work for you. You should feel fortunate in that there is more information about stocks, bonds, options, investing strategies, and company info now then there has ever been. The phrase "knowledge is power" has never had such meaning or impact in terms of investing as it does now.

• Master of Disaster

I use scottrade and my advice for someone who is just starting such as I was a few months ago is this.

Only invest what your willing to lose, and never place all your eggs in one basket and ENJOY IT!

this goes not only for individual stocks but sectors as a whole.

thats all I got for you so far. Have fun!

• World Traveler

I use TDAmeritrade and I'm very happy with their service and information.

Be very careful where you spend your money. As others have said, be prepared to lose it, but you probably won't if you choose stocks wisely.

Remember .... buy low and sell high.

It might help to keep some basics in mind. Stocks aren't where someone owes you money -- those are bonds; stocks are where you are co-owners of a business. Would you want to be a co-owner with Walt Disney? Sure! He was a visionary, played fair, and built value. Would you want to be a co-owner with Paul Pressler or Cynthia Harris*? Even though it may be the same business?

Investing involves a different mindset. There are reams and reams of data, and all sorts of theories, and a ton of strategies, and buckets of misinformation -- not to mention an occasional lucky rabbit's foot -- but what's most important is to come at it from the right direction. Wotan speaks Truth above.

Also remember that if it were as easy as "walk in, have a voice whisper in your ear to put it all on red, win, cash out, and take your winnings home" then everyone would do it. The more splashy the success you want to have, the more you have to work at it (unless you're investing in cattle with Hillary, that is). One of the key factors to evaluate in your investment plan is the level of effort you intend to contribute.

That said, the beauty of the market is that it generates opportunities for every situation.

Good luck!

*Yes, I know that Pressler didn't run a separate company. I was trying to make a point....