Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Analog vs. Digital television

have you heard that in 1 year, you either buy a digital HD t.v or if you dont want to get rid of your analog t.v you can buy a converter for it? what do you guys think of all of this, cause if you have neither, your t.v wont work.
    anyone still using analog?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: Analog vs. Digital television

or you use satellite tv or digital cable for your signal. Over the air signal will come to an end.

BTW, analog cellular service ended today.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Banned User

I am really confused about this too, K.C. I am glad you asked it and hope we get some techies here to answer!

• Disney Nerd

basically if you have a cable box or satellite dish you will be fine, no matter what tv you are using....

you only need to replace your tv if you are still using rabbit ears, or if your tv just receives the signal out of thin air......

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    have you heard that in 1 year, you either buy a digital HD t.v or if you dont want to get rid of your analog t.v you can buy a converter for it? what do you guys think of all of this, cause if you have neither, your t.v wont work.
    anyone still using analog?
    Just an FYI, you don't need an HD television. This is a huge misconception with the switchover that has a lot of people freaking out. The switch is only from analog (fuzzy radio waves through an antenna) to digital (clear signal through a cable or dish). I'm not sure why everyone thinks the change means you have to get an HD set. As long as you have cable, you're fine as you are.

• Banned User

I think the reason I thought it was that I got that impression from all the ads for new t.v.s etc. ha! The guy at the store told me that the closer we get to the date of needing them, they will drop in price considerably. So, I am waiting.

• ..but you can call me Pam

The part that I don't get is the GOVERNMENT giving lower income people $40 checks to help them with the new technology.
    Since when is TV a government sponsored right?
    (I may have this wrong...feel free to correct me)

• Circle of Ancients

As others have said, you do NOT need to get an HDTV to get this new signal.

If you are getting a signal from a cable company or sattelite provider, you do NOT need a converter box.

The only people who need a converter box are those still using "Rabbit Ears" or a simple over the air signal.

For those people, the government is giving coupons for a free converter box. It's NOT just for lower-income people, it's for everybody.

TV is NOT a government sponsored right, but the switch to Digital was a government mandate, if I'm not mistaken.

• ..but you can call me Pam

Ahh...OK
    Thanks for the clarification sir c.

• Beep Beep!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    TV is NOT a government sponsored right, but the switch to Digital was a government mandate, if I'm not mistaken.
    Correct Gregg, it was done because more data can be sent in digital over the air than analog. The FCC can reclaim that bandwidth and use it for other purposes.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

great posts everyone!
    yeah the government coupons are for everyone, not just for low income. my boyfriend just went online to get his coupon cause not all the t..v's in his house have cable

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    Correct Gregg, it was done because more data can be sent in digital over the air than analog. The FCC can reclaim that bandwidth and use it for other purposes.
    Like brain washing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    No, its not a matter of more bandwidth - it's actually LESS bandwidth use overall for TV broadcasts because there is less separation between channel allocations. The current analog TV stations uses a much more valuable spectrum because its lower frequency - it has better propagation and higher power - better distance and wall penetration. The migration to digital frees this spectrum up for new uses.

Analog TV sits and takes up a huge spectrum that is highly coveted. The digital broadcasts are much less susceptible to interference, so they can be packed together closer. Plus, because the bandwidth needs can be controlled - allowing multiplexing of channels and subdividing of channel space so more content can be provided in the same spectrum bandwidth.

In effect, digital is more efficient in that can be packed together closer, and broadcasters have more flexibility using the same amount of spectrum per channel. The freed up spectrum of course is lucrative to sell off for new uses.. which is exactly what the FCC is doing.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Yeah, that's what he said.

• Huh?

I may be selfish in saying this, but I really wish that the standard was HDTV transmissions and not DTV...

I am not so impressed by SD digital television -- never have been. Digital compression artifacts are annoying. Sure, there's some things that are nicer about digital systems, but those compression artifacts are rather distracting.

HD channels, on the other hand, are very nice -- though there are occasional glitches every now and then.

There is a LOT of consumer confusion over this issue, though. And it's not the fault for just being clueless -- even the experts, who should know better, are deceiving everybody. The first local TV station to broadcast in HD in our area set up a huge display and promo video at the Ohio State Fair -- a video that basically told everybody that nobody's old TVs would no longer work and everybody needed an HDTV if they wanted to watch TV.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast