• Banned User

All you can eat = 64 cents

http://www.charlesphoenix.com/vintag...-angeles-2008/

This was from around 1960, apparently. Man, 64 cents sure bought a lot back then.

Anyone remember Clifton's Cafeteria in downtown Los Angeles? I have not had the good fortune to be able to go there yet (yes, the downtown LA restaurant, the Brookdale, is still open 7 days a week!). I miss classic cafeterias.

• Senior Minion

Re: All you can eat = 64 cents

I drive by Clifton's everyday, and have eaten there recently. It's alright, but the food isn't as stellar as I recall. Most people I know go there for either the nostalgia or the kitsch of it ... not for the food.

Maybe I'll eat there for lunch tomorrow and take a few pics.

• ..but you can call me Pam

I love Charles Phoenix!!!....well...his website..

I was so ticked when they closed the Clifton's in West Covina a couple of years ago. It was like going back in time. The food was totally old-school cafeteria style, but it was very tasty. Traditional home-cooked favorites. Nothing exotic in any way. A good place when you wanted a hot turkey dinner with all the trimmings, any time of the year. That sort of thing. I especially liked their dessert selection. And of course, there was always Jello as far as the eye could see.

But no question it was a real Senior Citizen type place. A lot of gray hair (including my own). But a whole lot of wrinkles much older and deeper than my own. Perhaps that's why I liked going there so much. I was usually the youngest customer in the place!

The busses would pull up almost every day unloading all the old-timers from the various Senior Citizen Centers in the area. And the same from busses passing by on the Senior junkets to/from Vegas.

It was a great place to introduce yourself to some of the older folks...perhaps help them to their tables...and then sit with them and hear great stories about the really old days in Los Angeles. I always expected Ralph Story or Huell Howser to walk through the door at any moment!

I have fond childhood memories of family outings to Clifton's Polynesian decor'd restaurant...I think in downtown Los Angeles. I'm pretty sure it was called the Pacific Seas. It was simply otherworldly. Waterfalls, rockwork, trees. A cross between Disneyland's Tahitian Terrace and Rainforest Cafe...but long before either of them. They had the greatest little souvenir stand selling all sorts of cheap Polynesian trinkets and tikis...probably all made in Taiwan. Lots of fun.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I was so ticked when they closed the Clifton's in West Covina a couple of years ago.
    They closed the Greenery in 2003, but for some reason the Clifton's website still has photos and hours for it.

It was like going back in time. The food was totally old-school cafeteria style, but it was very tasty. Traditional home-cooked favorites. Nothing exotic in any way. A good place when you wanted a hot turkey dinner with all the trimmings, any time of the year. That sort of thing. I especially liked their dessert selection. And of course, there was always Jello as far as the eye could see.

But no question it was a real Senior Citizen type place. A lot of gray hair (including my own). But a whole lot of wrinkles much older and deeper than my own. Perhaps that's why I liked going there so much. I was usually the youngest customer in the place!

The busses would pull up almost every day unloading all the old-timers from the various Senior Citizen Centers in the area. And the same from busses passing by on the Senior junkets to/from Vegas.

It was a great place to introduce yourself to some of the older folks...perhaps help them to their tables...and then sit with them and hear great stories about the really old days in Los Angeles. I always expected Ralph Story or Huell Howser to walk through the door at any moment!
    I always swear I smell Dove soap whenever masses of seniors congregate. No idea why; I guess a lot use it to try to keep the wrinkles at bay (somebody tell 'em it ain't working).

I have fond childhood memories of family outings to Clifton's Polynesian decor'd restaurant...I think in downtown Los Angeles. I'm pretty sure it was called the Pacific Seas. It was simply otherworldly. Waterfalls, rockwork, trees. A cross between Disneyland's Tahitian Terrace and Rainforest Cafe...but long before either of them. They had the greatest little souvenir stand selling all sorts of cheap Polynesian trinkets and tikis...probably all made in Taiwan. Lots of fun.
    That's the one! It was definitely the forerunner for the Tahitian Terrace and many other similar Polynesian restaurants of the era.

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/pag...ific_seas.html

More pics:

http://www.agilitynut.com/cool2.html