Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Magical one time moments in your life

I was reading an article in the paper today about the artist Christo (one of my favorites) and the movie premiering on HBO Tuesday about "The Gates", and I was lucky enough to have been in N.Y. 3 years ago to witness them. To me, it was a one time magical moment in my life. Something I can never go back to. Like going to London was a magical trip, but it wasn't a one time event, because I can always go back to it. I can never go back to seeing "The Gates" again.

Now I'm sure there will be all the parents out there that say "when my kid was born" and that's a given. Let's pick other one time events mmmmkay?

Others of mine include:

Seeing Christo's "The Umbrellas" in 1991.

Being at 4 Olympic Games (so far). And yes, I know I can and will go to another Olympic Games, but every one is really completely different than the others. Each is a unique experience, at least that's how I see it.

Witnessing the death of the rabbit we used to have in the office (it was a serene amazing moment in all actuality as my coworker held him as he died in her hands).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you have any one time magical events you've witnessed?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Magical one time moments in your life

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Now I'm sure there will be all the parents out there that say "when my kid was born" and that's a given. Let's pick other one time events mmmmkay?

Well can we say our wedding days or our wedding vow renewal days? Those were two very magical moments for me. Also, the day my twins graduated from high school which surprised me because had no idea I was going to feel that way!

The first time I saw the sun rise from Haleakala and the two times since then.

The first time I saw the Neuschvanstein castle in person. (even though I still don't know for sure how to spell it)

The time I was with my daughter Tiffany at the Heidelberg castle in a very gentle snow storm.

Watching my son play football and hearing his name called a few times over the intercom for making great plays during the Homecoming game and then watching him Tango dance in his first performance.

Holding hands and snorkeling with my husband in Hawaii on our 19th anniversary.

Those are the ones that came to mind for me just now! I know there are more!

Nice thread!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Seeing my husband and daughter's faces the first time they saw Cinderella castle. I'm lucky enough to have a picture of that moment.

Having my mom, dad, best friend, husband and daughter all together at DisneyWorld. Having SO many people I love in my favorite place on earth, was amazing.

Times when I was little laying in bed talking with my grandmother.

Playing games with my father.

Napping with my daughter on the couch when she was a baby.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Those are great memories PB, BUT, you can do those again. Some of them anyway. You can still see the sunrise, or go to Neuschvanstein castle, or hold hands snorkling. I'm talkin' things you can't experience again.

Well, unless Haleakala explodes, then you can't see the sunrise again.
    Or if they tear down the castle.
    Or if you and your hubby lose your hands in an accident, then you can't hold hands snorking again.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If it's about surreal experiences that we can't have happen again I'll say something Disney Related. Going to the last showing of Country Bear Jamboree and giving a standing ovation at the end. Very emotional.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Meanie!

I think though, that the key is that the FIRST time you do some of these things is a large part of what makes them magical!

Also, you can see things in pictures but it's not the same as being there in person where you can also use your other senses!

I just remembered another one...the first time I went to a 49ers game in person and realized that our seats were in the 6th row and on the 50 yard line. I was speechless almost the entire time because there was so much to take in alll around me!

• Beep Beep!

Similar vein to Chad's reply, seeing my wife's reaction to Fantasmic after the first time she'd seen it live, she actually cried...
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I don't know if this counts but:
    Victor Hugo's my all time favorite writer. In Paris, all I wanted to see was Notre Dame and his house. My dad made the whole family walk there from the other end of the city. I'm exhausted when I get there. I sit down in this comfy chair. The curator shooes me off the chair. I was at Victor Hugo's writing desk. It was one of those great moments where it was totally randomly by accident.

My grandparents 60th wedding anniversary, 2 or 3 years ago. Looking at them you can tell after 60 years they still love each other. Also at the party in front of more people than I ever have seen, my grandfather and I swing danced for the first time together. He was doing a form of Balboa, I was East coast so there were a few messups but so much fun.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I know you don't want me to say, "when my kid was born.". But I must say that moment I first held him -- she had a c-section and so I held him first -- and looking right at him filled with a love that I have never felt with anyone in my entire life before that or since. And him looking at me in the same way was incredible.

Sorry to go against your rules and sound cliche. But in my case it really isn't and nothing else compares.

Although there was that time I ate at Club 33. But even that wasn't as good as this.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

The one Disney moment I can think of was when we went on the first WDW invasion, and when Villains Fan came around the corner and saw the castle for the first time. That was such a great magical moment. She cried and everything It was a nice memory to see her so touched.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Sitting at Disneyland with Sabrina 2 months after we started going out and watching Believe! fireworks. Halfway through it I came up with how I wanted to propose to her.

5 minutes later I realized that I just planned a proposal and I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

That was a once in a lifetime moment for me.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

There's really only three such moments that stick out in my mind.

The first was my junior year of high school and I was named the drum major of our marching band. It was always a tradition that a senior got to conduct the band which made the moment all the more surreal and magical. Being the youngest person in 15 years to conduct the marching band - well, that was prety awesome.

That same year, our band went to WDW to compete and perform. (This was Spring '05). Prior to that, my last time in the Magic Kingdom had been 1991 when I was only 3. To step back in to MK after all those years was awesome enough but to get to lead our band down Main Street was truly magical. It was made all the more magical since I got my foot stuck in the trolly tracks while marching backwards and almost fell over.

The third came in my senior year of high school - on my birthday (December 23) to be exact. All my life, I had always dreamed of being a lead in a play. I was talented but not amazing. I had accepted the fact that I would probably never be a lead and was content to play minor roles. Needless to say, I completely surprised myself and everybody else when it was announced that I was selected to play Gaston in our school's production of Beauty and the Beast. Seeing the cast list for the first time was probably one of the most incredible experiences of my life and put me in a state of euphoria for several weeks.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post

Being at 4 Olympic Games (so far). And yes, I know I can and will go to another Olympic Games, but every one is really completely different than the others. Each is a unique experience, at least that's how I see it.
    I think in that vein, anything can be different - just like each snowflake, each sunset.

I have been really fortunate to get to do wonderful things. Touching Stonehenge, watching a sunset from Mont St. Michel (I've stayed there 5 nights total, but it's often rainy/foggy), biking through Versailles, a picnic under the Eiffel Tower. The first time visiting Omaha Beach was amazing, everything was so quiet. One inaugural ball (I could do it again if I chose, but each one is different as well).

In December, I got to stay in Cinderella castle. That was really great, but it won't be in my top life-defining moments. The days I remember most at Disney are ones that I wish would never end. Sometimes with great friends or family, sometimes by myself. Those are the times I'll remember first. (moreso than a ride opening, or closing)
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Delawarean Girl

The day when Mickey Mouse gave me a little kiss on the cheek. He took the saddest away that I ever had, when he did that.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Bringing each of my kitties home and watching them explore their new home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast