• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Why do people like to dish on Walt Disney?

I throw an Oscar party every year. All my friends know I am a Disney fanatic and not to take the name of Walt in vain. But this year we had a new guest who made cutting remarks during the Enchanted numbers. One of the winners that night(I can't remember who) thanked Walt Disney. I said "Sooner or later someone always thanks Walt at these things." Well, she riped into him saying stupid things like how we gave money to Hitler for his consentration camps and how he had a dungeon under the DL castle. "Show me the proof" I said. She then started to say a few other things but by that time I had turned my back on her. Everyone else in the room was quite because they know not to say things like that. Besides, it was my house. Practically every inch is filled with Disney stuff. It was just plain rude to insult your host. Trying to be a good host, I let the matter drop and others started talking loudly about other things. I didn't let her comments get to me. In fact, she later told me they were going to WDW on Make A Wish because of a car accident her daugher was in three months ago. I wanted to scream, "Hypocrite!" but thought better of it.

Why do people like to make fun of Walt Disney? I just don't get it. What are your thoughts?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Why do people like to dish on Walt Disney?

I find it very interesting that she has the nerve to insult Walt and then, take a free trip there. I have never encountered anybody who felt this way.....I have never heard any of those rumors either. I think people make up rumors about good people like Walt to make themselves feel better about never achieving anything comparable to what he did.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

A lot of this has current corporate political culture to blame for tarnishing the Disney name with being cheap or out of touch. It makes them an easy target and for the many who did not grow up around a Disney park, they do not understand the foundations of the company and also have little to no access to the real Walt.

When people don't follow the theme parks and films, they only remember the negative, the lies, and the rumors. They usually have no proof for anything... but feel that it's "cool" to make fun of something like Disney.

Disney really is one of the many companies hated out there. It really is funny.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Thanks for your insight, Stitchy-poo and Coheteboy. I guess when people don't like a company they go after the founder. Since Walt is dead, he can't defend himself. An easy target. Well, I won't let this incident get me down. I have read many bios on Walt and know what a good man he is. I will defend him to snears like the one at my party, but I will not let it get me down.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I think people also view him out of jealousy to be honest. It's like why people hate Bill Gates. He made a company and was very successful and some people hate that.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Thanks for your insight, Stitchy-poo and Coheteboy. I guess when people don't like a company they go after the founder. Since Walt is dead, he can't defend himself. An easy target. Well, I won't let this incident get me down. I have read many bios on Walt and know what a good man he is. I will defend him to snears like the one at my party, but I will not let it get me down.
    And it shouldn't get you down. Next time a guest makes a negative remark about Walt Disney, highly recommend books about him, example : The Disney Wars .Or Walt Disney the triumph of the American Imagination. Because apparently that person has no knowledge about his background and business success.

I feel that education and enlightenment of Walt Disney needs to be encouraged. What Walt did is far greater than what the company does now.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    When people don't follow the theme parks and films, they only remember the negative, the lies, and the rumors. They usually have no proof for anything... but feel that it's "cool" to make fun of something like Disney.
    That is soooo true. Anyone I know who know's how much I love anything Disney will try and tease me about being a fan. Hey, to each his/her own, right?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I think people also view him out of jealousy to be honest. It's like why people hate Bill Gates. He made a company and was very successful and some people hate that.

Agreed Jack.

Sadly we are now in a society where quite often people look down on success. Odd priorities.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Agree with a lot of you guys. It's funny that I'm just a guy in my late 20s... never alive when Walt was around and yet I defend him as if he was my own family. I guess I'm one of the few who have read Walt Disney biographies since 3rd grade and have a deeper appreciation for Disneyland and the films.

All of us here do. Everyone else is just clueless.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I throw an Oscar party every year. All my friends know I am a Disney fanatic and not to take the name of Walt in vain. But this year we had a new guest who made cutting remarks during the Enchanted numbers. One of the winners that night(I can't remember who) thanked Walt Disney. I said "Sooner or later someone always thanks Walt at these things." Well, she riped into him saying stupid things like how we gave money to Hitler for his consentration camps and how he had a dungeon under the DL castle. "Show me the proof" I said. She then started to say a few other things but by that time I had turned my back on her. Everyone else in the room was quite because they know not to say things like that. Besides, it was my house. Practically every inch is filled with Disney stuff. It was just plain rude to insult your host. Trying to be a good host, I let the matter drop and others started talking loudly about other things. I didn't let her comments get to me. In fact, she later told me they were going to WDW on Make A Wish because of a car accident her daugher was in three months ago. I wanted to scream, "Hypocrite!" but thought better of it.

Why do people like to make fun of Walt Disney? I just don't get it. What are your thoughts?
    Well, there's making fun of Walt, and then there's repeating lies about Walt. Seems like this woman bought into the claims about Walt being an anti-Semite (he wasn't, but his feelings about his Jewish rivals in the film industry have been interpreted by some to be anti-Semitism, which I don't think they were - more likely they were just grumblings about his business rivals), which a number of people have done. (Accusations of support for Hitler are simply ludicrous. If he did actively support Hitler, the US Government wasn't aware of it, and they were pretty tight with Walt during World War II and afterwards.) Combine this with Walt's political conservatism (his support for Richard Nixon during the 1960 campaign is well-known), and a lot of people jump to conclusions about the man. I think that Walt, like many people of his generation, was inculcated with a certain amount of Euro-American ethnocentrism and, like so many, went along with the popular racism of the early 20th century, but in some respects he was socially progressive, at least compared to other conservatives of the time.

So while he was hardly a left wing icon, Walt wasn't a fascist, either. And hype about him being a active supporter of right wing extremists is just that - hype.