Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Are you serious??? Are you African American???? I can tell you...if anyone calls my 1/2 African American nephew that word, EVER, and I hear it...I will be doing some serious arse kicking.
    In other words, he was right (not that I wouldn't kick some arse myself if the same thing happened around, coincidentally, my half-Jamaican nephew).
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    In other words, he was right (not that I wouldn't kick some arse myself if the same thing happened around, coincidentally, my half-Jamaican nephew).
    He was NOT right. I was saying that his flip attitude toward : " Even the dreaded N word is only as powerful as those who hear it allow it to be. " is preposterous! Like, "Hey, just take it with a grain of salt. No biggie".

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    ok so sorry

you are so right
    People with blond hair can CHANGE. They choose the blond lifestyle. Some choose to stay naturally blonde, some choose to become blonde.

L'Oreal can help!

•   

He was NOT right. I was saying that his flip attitude toward : " Even the dreaded N word is only as powerful as those who hear it allow it to be. " is preposterous! Like, "Hey, just take it with a grain of salt. No biggie".
    Yes, he was right, and your reaction proves it. You may find it preposterous that what he said is true, and you certainly can take offense to what you think were his implications (I don't find that your second statement follows the the first), but that's the truth about language. Words are only as powerful as the listener chooses to make them.

The n-word spoken on a playground from black youth to black youth is powerless and usually gathers no reaction. I have heard the phrase "N----r, please" more times on a basketball court than I can count, albeit rarely from a white person, but it has never caused a reaction. SNL had a skit with Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase that sort of illustrated the point.
    http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...d-words-p1.php
    You'll notice that none of the anti-white racial epithets uttered by Pryor's character are all that bothersome, while each anti-black racial epithets gets increasingly more offensive and outrageous, culminating with Pryor's retort "Dead honky", a word that was specifically promoting by certain militant black groups as a retort to n----r.

I'm not condoning it, though. I would only use it if I specifically wanted to degrade and demean a person, which I don't often do.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    People with blond hair can CHANGE. They choose the blond lifestyle. Some choose to stay naturally blonde, some choose to become blonde.
    L'Oreal can help!
    That's pretty silly. You don't like blonde jokes, dye your hair? Where does that slippery slope end? Don't like being called a dumb woman, have your doctor perform an addadictomy?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    This whole thread is so sappy, sorry. I'm not saying we should use negative words and insults. Just get a thicker skin and rise above it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
    So, if we're going by your logic, anyone can say the "N" word and we should just rise above it and ignore it!
    Basically. Even the dreaded N word is only as powerful as those who hear it allow it to be. J.K. Rowling made a nice example of the concept by her writing of Lord Voldemort and the fear his name struck in people. Harry, Dumbledore and a few others saw that the forbidden name only attained its power because of the taboo placed upon it. If people didn't fear it and build its power with their feelings about it then the name would have meant nothing. It's a nice allegory for what we're discussing. Anyhow, keep calling for change and trying to educate people all you like. I'll even applaud your efforts. The simple truth, however, is that there will always be "bad words" and there will always be people who say them. Life isn't a Disney movie with a neat, happy ending so this isn't ever going to change. You can get upset and angry over it or you can live happily in spite of it. One choice makes for a happier life, the other makes for stress, resentment and anger such as seen in this thread.
    I really have to disagree with you on this. Comparing a word that clearly is considered hate speech (despite its use by some within the African American community as a term of endearment, a practice which itself continues to be hotly debated within that community) to a simple "sticks and stones" name-calling incident is a very weak argument (as is the peculiar Harry Potter comparison). The N word is not a new word, nor is it merely a "derogatory name" and its usage is not something that only recently attained power within the public consciousness. It is a word of dehumanization, and it became a powerful word because of the violent actions that accompanied its usage. The fear and dread that was struck in the hearts of those against whom it was (and still is) used was/is also a very real fear of violence and death. You make the mistake of assuming that black people in this country have always had the same level of power as whites, when the historical record clearly shows this to not be true. The use of the N word by whites against blacks was and is the clearest display of this imbalance of power. Understand that I'm not talking about incidental usage in individual circumstances; individual blacks may or may not decide to "let" individual whites off the hook from using it against them, but overall, usage of that term by whites against blacks is considered an offense because of its historical usage by whites against blacks. Generally speaking, most blacks do not consider the usage of the N word by non-blacks "only as powerful as those who hear it allow it to be." If you doubt this, then feel free to use it around any and all blacks you encounter, and see if the reaction is as egalitarian as you think it should be.

In comparison, a phrase like "that's so gay," while annoying and offensive because of its assumption of the term "gay" as a negative, is hardly comparable to a term that was invoked shortly before someone was/is beaten or murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    (And again, before anyone gets all huffy and calls me a racist let me point out that I am only discussing how people react to names and how said names attain their power in the public consciousness. Nowhere have I justified using the N word or other derogatory names nor have I said that doing so is fine. So please, let's keep an even keel here.)
    I'm not buying this. I think you're attempting damage control here. As clearly seen in the quote above, you said that "basically" "anyone can say the N word and we should just rise above it and ignore it." That is clearly a tacit acceptance of the usage of the N word, if not approval. It's essentially saying that if you encounter someone (especially someone who isn't of African descent) using it, you'll just "rise above it and ignore it," rather than rebuking its usage and denouncing the person using it, and that everyone else should do the same. Why would you advocate such a response if you did not consider usage of the N word acceptable?

• Banned User

My beef is with the Annual Pass Gallery thread with a pass with Mickey and Goofy in their YoaMD outfits, and one person (I think it was jokingly) said they were the "G" word with the sparkles and other stuff.

I mean to be honest, do we want to go there with iconic characters.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    My beef is with the Annual Pass Gallery thread with a pass with Mickey and Goofy in their YoaMD outfits, and one person (I think it was jokingly) said they were the "G" word with the sparkles and other stuff.

I think we can all handle the cartoon jokes. Just because Bugs Bunny puts on lipstick and kisses elmer fudd doesn't mean he wants to get jiggy with him.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post

Yay that was me!
    Well, the first post was! The replies were just icing on the cake!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I think we can all handle the cartoon jokes. Just because Bugs Bunny puts on lipstick and kisses elmer fudd doesn't mean he wants to get jiggy with him.
    Of course not, Bugs had a love/hate romance going with Daffy for many many years, he did not have time for short pudgy bald guys.
    Last edited by mousechild; 03-04-2008 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

The n-word spoken on a playground from black youth to black youth is powerless and usually gathers no reaction. I have heard the phrase "N----r, please" more times on a basketball court than I can count, albeit rarely from a white person, but it has never caused a reaction. SNL had a skit with Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase that sort of illustrated the point.
    http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...d-words-p1.php
    You'll notice that none of the anti-white racial epithets uttered by Pryor's character are all that bothersome, while each anti-black racial epithets gets increasingly more offensive and outrageous, culminating with Pryor's retort "Dead honky", a word that was specifically promoting by certain militant black groups as a retort to n----r.
    This has nothing to do about your argument to prove me wrong, but, I LOVE that SNL skit with Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase. "Dead honky!"

Let's just say that I don't agree with the post. And, leave it at that. I am not going to argue it. I guess that if I heard it, I WOULD be angry...so...I guess I will concede that you are right.

• Banned User

I don't know, aashee! I think he sorta does!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I don't know, aashee! I think he sorta does!
    Hmmm, he does paint nails too. Getting iffy for Bugs.

• Goofy

Hmmm, he does paint nails too. Getting iffy for Bugs.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast