Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 189
  1. #46

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    While "*****" and "weird" can be synonyms, "gay" has never meant "weird".

  2. #47

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Not at Disneyland :(
    Posts
    2,478

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Here's something to do if you don't, come to a noon meet at D-land sometime (where there's usually an abundance of gay people and the people that love them) and talk to some people, then say in the context of a discussion about for example, monkeys wearing clothes, "That's so gay" and see where it gets you. My guess, leers.
    So true. What has me puzzled is when did we cross the line to feel the need to say something slang (which usually is offensive to someone) instead of just saying what we mean. Example: I see a shirt and I think it is ugly or weird or cool or whatever I truly think. Why not just say "I don't like that shirt, it's ugly." Easy enough. Why say "That shirt is gay?" Now the person I said it to is left to interpret what I truly meant and I guarantee they didn't interpret it to mean that I thought the shirt was ugly. I don't care what people say they mean when they use that term in that context, there is no other way to interpret except in a derogatory manner.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    I am probably going to get attacked for saying this but.....


    I don't think it should matter, if its obvious the person is not saying it too be rude, or make somebody feel bad, then what is the problem? Its a common phrase used. But if its said and means to have no harm too a gay person, well then I don't see a problem.

    Just my opinion.
    Har har har

  4. #49

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    What sucks is that now it seems the term "Gay" is changing from a positive word to a negative one.

    "Gay" should always mean "To be happy" and not "Stupid."

    Here's something I have to get off my shoulder. I don't see why people have to say that they are straight when they talk about their friend or family member being gay. Sorry if this was a slight derail, but this seems like the perfect place to get that off my chest.

  5. #50

    • Incognito
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Blog Entries
    49

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I am probably going to get attacked for saying this but.....


    I don't think it should matter, if its obvious the person is not saying it too be rude, or make somebody feel bad, then what is the problem? Its a common phrase used. But if its said and means to have no harm too a gay person, well then I don't see a problem.

    Just my opinion.
    No attack, but...

    People used to say derrogatory things all the time about blacks (using the N word), Jews (using the K word) etc etc and it was accepted as ok. Then the groups being slandered decided enough is enough!

    My point is, why has it become "ok" or accpted, to use the phrase "That's so gay" when all it really means is "That's so stupid"? And if it is used to describe something "gay" (whatever that might be) you can be assured it's not being used in a nice context but probably pointing out a sterotype.

    I have some really cool friends who have kids, and they all seem to get it, the kids that is. Some even tell their peers to stop saying that when it comes up, or they question them with "What do you even mean when you say that?" Of course they have really cool parents that teach them that saying something like that is not nice. Why is it so hard for some adults to get it?

  6. #51

    • Ravenclaw
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    797

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    I was riding the bus a few years ago, and a bunch of teenagers got on after I did. They were sitting near me, and started the macho I'm-so-tough talk, saying "that's gay"...calling each other "my ni**a" (even though they were Vietnamese (?!))...When I got to my stop I just told them that homophobia is different from racism in only one way- you never are sure when someone gay is right next to you. Shut them right up.
    --nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  7. #52

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    I have an honest question and hope for an honest response.

    What if....

    You're walking down the street and these two guys just start making out.

    Would it THEN be okay to say "that's so gay!"?


    haha, i just had to ask because i joke around like that around my gay coworkers and they make fun of me for being straight, etc. but i suppose it's different when it's not said in a hurtful way but more in a humorous way and with people who understand your attitude about it.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #53

    • ...is fading out....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13,449
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I'm with Onut on this one...I think it's insulting, and ignorant to use such a phrase.
    I'm with IHD and Onut - not only that, using that phrase is so preadolescent sounding........it's lame.

    One other that I'd like to add to the mix is I loathe when someone says that something is "retarded" or that they are acting like a 'retard'.

    I cringe when I hear both phrases - the one Onut describes and the one I describe.

  9. #54

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    No attack, but...

    People used to say derrogatory things all the time about blacks (using the N word), Jews (using the K word) etc etc and it was accepted as ok. Then the groups being slandered decided enough is enough!

    My point is, why has it become "ok" or accpted, to use the phrase "That's so gay" when all it really means is "That's so stupid"? And if it is used to describe something "gay" (whatever that might be) you can be assured it's not being used in a nice context but probably pointing out a sterotype.

    I have some really cool friends who have kids, and they all seem to get it, the kids that is. Some even tell their peers to stop saying that when it comes up, or they question them with "What do you even mean when you say that?" Of course they have really cool parents that teach them that saying something like that is not nice. Why is it so hard for some adults to get it?





    I see what you mean, but when you hear it don't take it too personally because most people mean no harm too gay people. Its simply just an over used phrase, its like when you are around someone who does things a certain way or says a certain way, sometimes you pick it up without noticing. Then you start saying it and its just one big chain.



    Basically what I am trying to say is don't take it personal and laugh it off, that someone it dumb enough to use that phrase!
    Last edited by garbear; 02-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Har har har

  10. #55

    •   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific NorthWest
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    The Jimmy Kimmel video?? THAT was soooooooo gay!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

  11. #56

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

    I use those expressions all the time and have no immediate plans to stop.
    Well you post like a retarded gay girl.

    j/k

    Actually this whole thread is simply about whether you think you should always be politically correct. Usually you should but being politically incorrect is what makes Bill Mahr funny.

  12. #57

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I have an honest question and hope for an honest response.

    What if....

    You're walking down the street and these two guys just start making out.

    Would it THEN be okay to say "that's so gay!"?


    haha, i just had to ask because i joke around like that around my gay coworkers and they make fun of me for being straight, etc. but i suppose it's different when it's not said in a hurtful way but more in a humorous way and with people who understand your attitude about it.
    We don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public!

  13. #58

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    "I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

    ~ Voltaire



    I can't decide which is the bigger tragedy in all of this: that one's sense of self is so frail that a simple word can damage them or that one would seek to silence others in order to relieve themselves of potential discomfort. Personally, whether I do or do not say the things mentioned in this thread is up to me. Should I choose to, the decision to be offended by them is up to the listener. And if they do offend someone then perhaps that is more an opportunity for that person to reevaluate themselves then for them to attempt to change me.

    Another bit of wisdom:

    "The reaction to any word may be, in an individual, either a mob-reaction or an individual reaction. It is up to the individual to ask himself: Is my reaction individual, or am I merely reacting from my mob-self? When it comes to the so-called obscene words, I should say that hardly one person in a million escapes mob-reaction."

    ~ D.H. Lawrence

  14. #59

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I see what you mean, but when you hear it don't take it too personally because most people mean no harm too gay people. Its simply just an over used phrase, its like when you are around someone who does things a certain way or says a certain way, sometimes you pick it up without noticing. Then you start saying it and its just one big chain.

    Basically what I am trying to say is don't take it personal and laugh it off, that someone it dumb enough to use that phrase!
    No, laughing it off is not the right thing either. Ignorance is not bliss.
    It's much better to enlighten someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I'm with IHD and Onut - not only that, using that phrase is so preadolescent sounding........it's lame.

    One other that I'd like to add to the mix is I loathe when someone says that something is "retarded" or that they are acting like a 'retard'.

    I cringe when I hear both phrases - the one Onut describes and the one I describe.
    I would say that I'm a little surprised that people other than
    12 or 13 year old Valley girls say that "That's so gay",
    BUT, I don't want to offend any intelligent 12 or 13 year old valley girl.

    Scientific studies show, each time you say that phrase, your IQ drops 10 points,
    It really is about as offensive as the "n----r" word or the "f----t" word

    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    The Jimmy Kimmel video?? THAT was soooooooo gay!
    NO! THAT is SO Fabulous!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 02-29-2008 at 01:25 AM.

  15. #60

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: "That's so gay" - please just stop saying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Scientific studies show, each time you say that phrase, your IQ drops 10 points,
    Care to cite that claim?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •