• 12 Years old

9 18.37%
  • 13 Years old

9 18.37%
  • 14 Years Old or older

20 40.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

How old should a kid be to have a cell phone?

My daughter got a cell phone when she was 11 because she began walking to school then and we wanted to have the added security of her having mobile communication.

Now my son, who turns 8 today, and does not yet walk to school, nor is ever without a land line or adult supervision. Keeps asking for a phone. While the expense is not that great to add a line, there is a couple issues at play here, one most, repeat, MOST kids his age do not have mobile phones. Personal responibility is an issue, phones aren't allowed in classrooms.

He's probably not going to get one for few years.

What do you think?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: How old should a kid be to have a cell phone?

Me neice has had one since she was 10 (for about a year) but its a special circumstance. Her little sister will be getting on when she turns 10 (which I think is completely unnecessary).

If kids are in after school activities or walking long distances then I guess its ok, but personally anything before 12 is just an unnecessary expense (except in special circumstances).

A little piece of heaven

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

8 is too young. I didn't get one until I was 16.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My 11yr old has one and I think anything after 10, with situations that would make having the cell phone beneficial, is a good age to allow a child to have one.

I think when a child reaches the age where they start doing things on their own is when they should have those capabilities.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I put it at age 12. However, with a very minimal to-go account (lets say 20 minutes on the phone for emergencies), I could go much earlier on that.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

My oldest got one when he was 11 and in 6th grade. He got a hand me down phone and we decided since he was walking to and from school he could have one. The bill was minimal since he rarely used it.

My youngest got one for his 8th birthday a kids style cell, a Migo, from his dad. I was against it because I felt he was too young and since I walked him it wasn't necessary. It sat at home 95% of the time, same with this year. He used it a couple of times after school before flag football practice.

Had his dad not gotten him the phone he wouldn't have received one until he was walking to and from school on his own.

That said, it depends on the child and the family and I don't think anyone should downgrade or insult anyone else on their decision to get or not to get a phone for thier child.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• We'll hold them at bay

i say 12 is about right
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

We bought our oldest daughter a Firefly at age 7, a cellphone for kids. It's got 4 buttons on it that the parent has to preprogram numbers for ( home, mom, dad, moms work and it has a 911 button), it's w/ a prepaid lot of minutes that can be reloaded. We got it for her as a rite of passage from K to 1st grade. Wanting her to have it in case of an emergency or needed to contact us for any reason. It's worked out just wonderfully. Both my kids are technogeeks into the latest electronics, so I have no hesitation they are ready for a mini phone.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Circle of Ancients

For us it wasn't an age thing. Our daughter got one when she went to Middle-School, like you it was a safety thing. She only is allowed to use it for calling us, Grandma's, etc. She cannot text and her phone doesn't have a camera.

Our son is 10, in 4th grade. Hasn't asked for (nor would he get) a cell phone at this age. When he goes to Middle School he 'may' get one, but his sister will be at the same school so he might not get one until 7th grade (when our daughter goes to HS).

• Huh?

I'm a bit undecided. It was a huge surprise when my cousins each got one as young as they were -- they never are without a member of their family (unfortunately... their mother won't let them live).

Firefly and Migo are probably the best options for a child. 4 buttons plus emergency. And I know that Migo will let the parents track their child's location -- which is a potentially great feature for emergencies. Migo isn't prepay, though, so it can just be added onto your existing account.
    -Tim

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    We bought our oldest daughter a Firefly at age 7, a cellphone for kids. It's got 4 buttons on it that the parent has to preprogram numbers for ( home, mom, dad, moms work and it has a 911 button), it's w/ a prepaid lot of minutes that can be reloaded. We got it for her as a rite of passage from K to 1st grade. Wanting her to have it in case of an emergency or needed to contact us for any reason. It's worked out just wonderfully. Both my kids are technogeeks into the latest electronics, so I have no hesitation they are ready for a mini phone.

Ok I love the idea of this phone (my kids are yound so I havent researched yet...heck I dont even pay for my cell phone, work does...for now). Its great to know there are options for when my kids are older.

A little piece of heaven

• Infinitized!

Here in BC schools are banning cell phones.

I'm 28 and I don't have a cell phone!

The only thing a cell phone is good for is in case of an emergency, other than that they are a time wasting, money wasting gadget.

•   
    • Senior Minion

My son's turning 2 in a couple of days, so I can't speak from experience. However, I do know that I am not a fan of all this teens/tweens that are almost surgically attached to their phones.

I like some of the kid phones that were mentioned in earlier posts and I agree that there is no "right" age and that is really depends on the childs individual situation.

My niece got hers just before she turned 7,and this is highly NOT understandable.Her other daughter got one at 7.My three daughters arent getting one until they turn ATLEAST 12,unless a certain circumstance
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee
    When someone takes a dump in my bathroom and doesn't turn on the fan, I don't need to prove who crapped. I already know it stinks.

VMK Name:IAnglez

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I didn't poll because it all depends on the kid.....and they have those new kinds of cell phones where you program numbers in them - and so it's more of a safety precaution with your kid. Just like 4 numbers on the key pad and that's all they need.(Mom/Dad/Brother/Sister/Grandparents) that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast