• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

It's International Women's Day!

Let's celebrate strong women. Mothers, wives, girlfriends, sisters, aunts, grandmas, friends, cousins... the list is long of our relations to others. The list is also long of what we can do. Who inspires you to be a better woman or for the guys a better person/human? Fiction, famous, or real life you name it. Why do they inspire you?

Mary Poppins. I know it's cliche. But as a kid I wanted to be her when I "grew up." She was smart, funny, etc.

My mentor Sue. She has so much moxie and when working with her I really learned the craft of teaching and what's good programs and what's bad.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: It's International Women's Day!

My wife: She's had to put up with quite a lot in the last 2 years- pregnancy, childbirth, and then my diagnosis of cancer...and then having to take care of a new son and a husband with cancer. Then we had to move in with my parents because of financial difficulty due to my cancer treatments and such.....so it's been quite a fiasco, to put it mildly, for the past couple of years - but she's kept her cool.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

aww my cousin!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disappearing/Reappearing

my heros have always been...

Lucy Ball--she was funny when women weren't. Women (before her) weren't really slap stick funny. It was okay for them to be funny...as long as they looked good while delivering their lines. Lucy wasn't afraid to go big. She made a spectacle of herself and went all out for the big laughs. Plus, she had the brains to back it up.

Marilyn Monroe..she was beautiful, sexy, a total icon. Yet, she didn't let the stardom fill her head with nonsense. She knew that she was only normal, and never understood why people expected more from her just because of the way she looked. I admire her humility, her drive, her beauty...and a quote from her that basically sums me up.."I just want to be wonderful".

Princess Diana..she wasn't content with being stuffed in a castle. She wanted to see the world and meet the people. And when she did leave the castle walls, she realized that there was SO much that needed to be done...and she tried her best to make a difference. She didn't have to do what she did, in fact, she was encouraged not to...but, she felt she needed to. She needed to use the position she was given to make a stand, and make the world a better place. On top of all that, she was a wonderful mother.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    My wife: She's had to put up with quite a lot in the last 2 years- pregnancy, childbirth, and then my diagnosis of cancer...and then having to take care of a new son and a husband with cancer. Then we had to move in with my parents because of financial difficulty due to my cancer treatments and such.....so it's been quite a fiasco, to put it mildly, for the past couple of years - but she's kept her cool.
    Your wife is my new hero. She deserves HUGE hugs and maybe a crown!! She is proof that God made women the stronger gender.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Your wife is my new hero. She deserves HUGE hugs and maybe a crown!! She is proof that God made women the stronger gender.
    Hmmmm.........I do think my wife has certain strengths that I do not exude, but I think if you asked her, she'd probably disagree with you....but I think MEN are physically stronger.........but possibly, in a mental/emotional sense, women have the STRENGTH......that's why men and women are a good fit.....we balance each other out.

• Banned User

My mother is my hero. She died at 45, from breast cancer. I was 9 yrs. old. From all that people have shared with me, she was an amazing woman with not a bitter word to say about anyone and a heart of gold. I can't imagine how she must have felt...knowing she was dying, and leaving behind a 9 year old child.
    Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 03-09-2008 at 12:24 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Aw everyone!

I thought of one after I posted this thread: my maternal grandma. I was 8 when she died, but from everything I've heard, awesome. She dismissed racism and such pre-her time. If someone made a nasty comment about a group of people she'd be like "Well I'm part..." the person would stop in their tracks. She also was witty and word play. Oh! And apparently she cheated in cards. Even with her own granddaughter.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Aw everyone!

I thought of one after I posted this thread: my maternal grandma. I was 8 when she died, but from everything I've heard, awesome. She dismissed racism and such pre-her time. If someone made a nasty comment about a group of people she'd be like "Well I'm part..." the person would stop in their tracks. She also was witty and word play. Oh! And apparently she cheated in cards. Even with her own granddaughter.
    How cute KK! She sounds adorable.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    .but I think MEN are physically stronger.........but possibly, in a mental/emotional sense, women have the STRENGTH......
    Men are definitely physically stronger. That wasn't the strength I was referring to. I'm looking at my own family. The women are all rocks (and that is a tough act to follow, as a woman) and most of the men are if not emotionally weak, they just don't measure up to the women. Maybe that is just my family.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

^^^Also we have a higher tolerance for pain. Just looking at my own family I can attest that.

IHEARTDisneyland- your mom probably knew your dad would step up.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Men are definitely physically stronger. That wasn't the strength I was referring to. I'm looking at my own family. The women are all rocks (and that is a tough act to follow, as a woman) and most of the men are if not emotionally weak, they just don't measure up to the women. Maybe that is just my family.
    I will agree with you. I think in many many ways, women are much stronger than men.........My late Grandmother is a testament to this. She endured 4 births of 4 large boys......endured a violent, alcoholic husband.....and when his sons got big enough to 'take him' he calmed down......and she helped in raising many of her grandchildren so her sons and their wives could work.....I'm one of those Grandchildren.

In the 2000's, she would succumb to losing both of her legs because of diabetes.....but she still had an upbeat attitude.......and something like that, losing both legs, and still smiling is a true testament of that womans strength. I'm proud that I call her my Grandmother - my Grandma Teresa. I miss her terribly at times....but I learned from her to smile, even when the going gets tough.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post

IHEARTDisneyland- your mom probably knew your dad would step up.
    He didn't.

My older sister, in her early 20's was more of a mother to me than my dad was a father to me.

Which brings me to my 2nd hero.....my older sister!!!!!!!!! She cared for me my whole life, and, still does.