Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• That Guy

Ph.D Not Just A Playa Hata Degree

So I am trying to decide if I should go back to school and get my Ph.D.

On the bright side, I am a tool, and I really like school. They also pay for you to get your doctorate and they give you $$ to attend school and teach classes. Also, ASU is home to 51,000 students, the majority of whom are female, and easy on the eyes. I also would be studying something I am very interested (no, not dessert) so that would be cool.

On the con side, it would take another three years (already have seven years under my belt) to finish this program.

Anyone here have their doctorate? Any tips?

Re: Ph.D Not Just A Playa Hata Degree

What line of work/study if you don't mind my asking?

PS-keep your hands off my friends at ASU, I will be watching you

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I used to be one of those girls at ASU.

• That Guy

^ Then I salute you!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I loved the girls at ASU DQ, when were you at ASU?

As for the actual topic, I'm of no help, haven't gotten a masters even, maybe someday.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by johnatthebar
    What line of work/study if you don't mind my asking?

I currently work full time with at risk youth who are dropping out of school. I earned my Masters degree in 2004 and I work part-time as a crisis therapist working on a mobile crisis team responding to calls from PD and Fire for people who are suicidal, homicidal, etc.

I would like to continue this work, along with studying various related issues.

My PhD would be in Justice Studies and I would likely teach at the university level and research various criminal justice issues. I would like to specialize in less lethal interventions that law enforcement could employ to decrease the fatality rate seen today.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I was at ASU 2000-2002.

I know a few people who have gotten doctorates there- its a good school with good doctoral programs, so go for it! If you like school and its' being paid for, then there's no downside!

I say go for it

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    As for the actual topic, I'm of no help, haven't gotten a masters even, maybe someday.

Anders,

Grad school is SO much easier then undergrad. They treat you like an adult, and it is a blast. The trick is to find something you are interested in, and study that. You already have your undergrad garbage (math, science ugh..) done, so now it is just studying cool stuff. I bet people have gotten doctorates studying DLR related issues....

Anyway, don't think it is hard, it is not. It's all about showing up!

• That Guy

John,

You have your patch? In AZ, we tease our medics about how much gold and hair gel they have..... Does that apply to you?

the younger medics around here arent exactly big on 'bling' if you will. most of them are either of the beach bum/hollister mo or more conventional jocks. wait...your in AZ...hairjell? medics are blue color and around here if you wera hairjell and work outdoors you'd loose your your vision with every drop of sweat. I guess its not so much the heat as it is the humidity ;-)

as I read that you did stuff with PD and Fire I was expecting you to say that you did CISM stuff, those guys/gals certainly are helpful.

as far as school goes, I guess I dont see too much of a downside for you. yeah, its 3 years, but its three years doing stuff you like and that you will continue to use, plus, no matter how noble you are ya know it will be nice to be at the top of the ladder. if I could stomach core classes I would have a slew of degrees. right now Im just a lazy medic with almost enough credits to have a degree but I'd have to suck it up and take a math class or two. lazy I know, one day I will knock it out and get my degree in english lit, as writing has always been something I enjoy.

you going for phd = more money, money to go, social oportunites, variety (spice of life), oportunities for the future, knowledge, tools at your hands, things to fal back on

not going=exactly what your doing now

thats my vote. do it up as the kids say.

• That Guy

^ I got my EMT prior to starting college, and I just re-cert'ed last month. I work part time doing fire/rescue EMS at a large motor sports facility. I get to work with some great medics.

Working as a crisis therapist, we do handle CISD/CISM calls for fire & PD. We specialize in the higher acuity issues, let the Fire Depts. crisis teams deal with the basic stuff. Phoenix Fire has a good crisis dept. that has six or seven units that respond 24/7 from various stations.

What kind of setup do you work with? Do you guys run ALS trucks, or just stick your medics on ambos?

BTW, you're a great writer, you should finish up your degree and teach on your off days. You KNOW that we need more EMS/Fire science teachers that know their stuff.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Anders,

Grad school is SO much easier then undergrad. They treat you like an adult, and it is a blast. The trick is to find something you are interested in, and study that. You already have your undergrad garbage (math, science ugh..) done, so now it is just studying cool stuff. I bet people have gotten doctorates studying DLR related issues....

Anyway, don't think it is hard, it is not. It's all about showing up!
    I know it's actually a lot more fun, I just have to decide if it's worthwhile for me. I work at a university, and a masters won't help me in my current career path, but if I decide to pursue something else it might. My undergrad was in tourism, so DLR related issues isn't too far off

DQ, I was at ASU from 1997-2001. Your pics have always looked familiar, maybe saw you around campus.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I was to be found in the Liberal Arts department, so if you were ever there, I bet we crossed paths.

: it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small, small, world! :

Thanks for the compliments, though now I feel like I actually have to sound reasonably intelligent when I post here... alright, enough upkeep of intelect.

I actually work on occasion for Homestead/Miami Speedway FD. Its a blast geting to work with guys (and de ladies) from all over SoFla in a place where you know something interesting is going to go down. Even when I'm not infield, when you take 100k nascar fans, give them a bunch of booze, set up a trailer park on the perimeter of the complex, throw in a sport they are emotional about, and seat them atop high grandstands in the sun for hours on end...well, we get all sorts of fun stuff as I am sure you know.

Local FD's run 80%/20% med/fire. In Broward and Dade there is only one EMS dpt, and they are served by a volly/paid on call FD. Everywhere else you find almost no BLS rescues (except for private transport companies that only run 911's in the event of MCI's, catastrophies for coverage, etc), and by now (this is in my head, I can't promise its accurate) I would say that somewhere around 85-90% of all emergency units from ladders and TRT to transport rescues (ambulances, not rescues as in the FDNY sense of the word, ie, truck comps) are ALS.

I have actually done quite bit of reading about Phoenix FD, as I am sure you realize that their progressive and sucessful nature has landed their pictures, stories, and tips in numerous fire and EMS texts ranging from Brannigans books to JEMS magazine.

Wow, I have just raped your thread of its original topic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

If you like school AND someone else is willing to pay for it, you should absolutely do it! 3 years really isn't that long, and you already live out there, so no problem, you should go for it. Remember, the older you get, the harder it is to go back to school (as I am finding out this year!)
    A signature should go here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast