Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Apartment

• Queen of Randomness

First Apartment

I'm going to start moving into the first apartment tomorrow. I'm packing right now but I can only take down two cars full. So the bulk of the packing doesn't happen for a little while. It makes you realize how much stuff you have. There's so much to do but I'm so excited.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• Practically Perfect

Re: First Apartment

I feel your pain and joy...I just moved into my first college house that I will be renting with 8 other people (yeah...8...I'm insane) and it DOES make you realize how much stuff you have, and might not REALLY need...Best of wishes on your new abode!

• Queen of Randomness

I only have one roommate in a two bedroom, one and a half bathroom apartment. 8 people musst be crazy. Hope everything goes well for you too.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

• Practically Perfect

lol, thanks, yeah I'm sure we'll have some interesting sotries when we're done, but at least we all get our own rooms (even if they are kinda small, it's better than the dorms!) we have 3 bathrooms too, so that helps a LOT

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Congrats DisneyGal!!! Its very exciting moving into your own place for the first time. I never had roommates or an apartment (I got married right out of high school), but when my daughter moved to Anahiem when she started working at Disneyland she was very excited to be out on her own when she was like 18/19. But she lived in a 2 bedroom with a total of 4 people!! Its a great learning experience, and one everyone should get to do. Good luck!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Queen of Randomness

I did live in the dorms last year so I know how it is to be away from home and all but this is going to be way better. My roommate and I keep calling each other and saying only five more days.....only two more days.....

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

hooray disneygal! that's awesome! you and I are doing the same thing (first apartment and moving and all that jazz). But congrats!! (and thanks for doing the WaVe! )

• Queen of Randomness

You're apartment is so cute. I hope all goes well.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember my first apartment. I was 18 years old and I was about to get married. My husband now (boyfriend then) and I had found a place. A living room, dining room, bedroom and kitchen. Better known as a 4 room apartment. It was about April, 1966, if I am remembering correctly. I got married in May, 1966. That apartment cost us $110 a month. Don't know how we did it. We made peanuts working, and lived paychheck to paycheck. My son was born July 25, of 1967. WE moved into a 5 room apartment that had 2 bedrooms.

First apartments are nice. I lived alone that first month, and it was the first time I was alone, in my life. I liked the fact that no one told me what to do. Then my husband moved in after we got married on May 7, 1966, and I have not been alone since. Husbands are different then parents, however. If your parents say do something, you do it. That's showing respect. My husband and I don't agree on a lot of things but we each have our own space, and have never tried to change each other, so it is working still.

I cannot imagine having a lot of roommates. That must be similar to lots of brothers and sisters. Guess I missed that experience, along with dorm life, I never wanted to go to college. Been a wife and mother. Always had a house full of boys. Two of my own and then all their friends over all the time.

Enjoy your first apartment. Brings back a good feeling of a brand spanking new start.

• Queen of Randomness

I went to my apartment for the first time yesterday and spent the night on the living room floor in a sleeping bag. After signing papers and what not for an hour, we unloaded five vehicles in 105 degree weather. The only furniture that was brought down was our dining room table and the rest is going to be taken down next week when we actually move in and stay down there. I absolutely love it, it's exactly what we need and a 100x's better than the dorms. Majoring in Interior Design, I'm having a blast decorating and can't wait the finish. Having two people from two different households is interesting especially when we were shopping at Target. She just couldn't understand why we needed a large trash can in the kitchen or why I wanted a broom. But we comprised and we had lots of fun yesterday. We have our own phone number and everything now.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

• Queen of Randomness

I'm all moved in and have started school and everything is going good. But there's a lot that you need to know when you have your own place stuff that I just depended on my parents to take care of. So please, please, please all of you people out there, if you have any advice or information that you think a newbie should know please share. It may help a great deal.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, my advice would have been to postpone it as long as possible because no one can estimate the "hidden costs" of moving out till they've done it.

Now that you're out, however, I'd say, try your best to conserve energy, and learn to be patient when it comes to housework stuff. People have their own definitions of things like when the dishes need doing, how often the floor needs vacuuming, etc. Usually the cleanest person will want everything done their way and cause a stink about the place being "filthy" when the less clean person doesn't think things need doing yet. That will be tough.

The best advice is to live your own lives. Seriously. The less you see eachother, the better you'll get along.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Decide how you will share food - thats the biggest complaint that I've heard from my son and why he's not again living with one friend. Friend would eat the community/private food of the others, but then not share what he got from home.

Determine how you will share/pay bills.

Good luck!

• Queen of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    Decide how you will share food - thats the biggest complaint that I've heard from my son and why he's not again living with one friend. Friend would eat the community/private food of the others, but then not share what he got from home.

Determine how you will share/pay bills.

Good luck!
    I have a great roommate. We divide up the grocery bill after we pay for it. Agree on whose is whose and repay the other person. We share all the food except what the other person doesn't like and pay for that ourselves. And every bill is split but differnet things are in each of our names. Being in dorms together last year made it easier for us.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you!
    Food division was going to be my suggestion too so now I just offer big congrats!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast