Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For old time sake

Do you judge your friends by how clean their house, car, etc are?

This thought hit me as I was cleaning the bathroom and tidying up the house for a visit from the All State guy today. He's a friend of my BIL's and naturally with a 4 month old, the house can tend to be messy at times.

When you go to your friends homes, do you expect it to be spotless and clean? I don't mean your friend has left the toilet seat dirty, or that there is a ton of crap all over the place, but if it isn't yup to your standards of cleanliness, do you judge them based on that?

I would say if anything I look at some of my friends homes and think"How do they do it?" Granted, my situation is different. taking care of my child is more important than having a spotless home. Not to say my house is a filthy mess either. I know I have apologized for my messy apt on more than one occasion to a MiceChatter when i lived in CA.

Anyway....no I do not judge my friends/family on their homes if they are not up to my standards. What about you?
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Do you judge your friends by how clean their house, car, etc are?

I always say that if people are coming, just to see a spotless house, than they should stay away. I have always lived by the motto:

My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I actually feel a bit relieved to see that I'm not the only one.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Life's too short to be obsessed with housework. However, we do need to take care of the basics each day. Why does it seem that if the beds are made, and the dishes are washed, and the bathroom is respectable, everything else doesn't seem too bad. I also try to keep the the laundry caught up, and the garbage cans emptied. There's something about having a place for everything and putting it there. My husband is pretty good, about putting dishes in the sink, and not throwing his dirty clothes around.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I think those maybe some words to live by.

• Man O Lantern

I never judge their homes by how clean they are, because they all have kids like me. And every single one of my friends has a cleaning person who comes in once a week. Turds. I'm mean, lucky ducks!

• Clearing my Calendar

I like to visit a home that's "lived in". If I visit someone and it's practically right out of an interior designing magazine - I do more thinking about *that* than I do about a house that's unkempt.

Of course, there's always the exception. I once visited a home that was practically right out of that show on the BBC - How Clean is your House?

Freakin' scared me and I declined the offer to stay for dinner as un-rushed as I could!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Happy Memories

I don't expect friends' houses to be any cleaner than mine is, and mine is often not very tidy. There is deffinitely a limit of course. I mean, a bit of clutter, a few dirty dishes in the sink, a bit of dust here and there is not at all a big deal to me. You know, when it looks as if they do care, they're just to busy living life to stay on top of it 24/7. That is absolutely fine with me, because pretty much the way my place is on a regular basis. Besides which, people are usually apologetic about it even though it doesn't look nearly as bad as they think it does.

That being said, when it's to the point of being unhealthy and disgusting. Looking like they never point forth any effort or care. That's a bit of a turn off for me. I would never be rude about it, but I would feel a bit uncomfortable being there.

• Directly directed

No. I keep my house pretty spotless, but I have asthma and I have to keep the dust and mites and what not out. But I don't freak out if someone comes over unannounced and I still have dishes in the sink or my bathrooms a mess. I don't judge people who have a lived in look. But when I walk into a house and it smells like cat pee, I can see trash everywhere (trash, not crap) and the toliet is all moldy, then yes I judge. And then I don't go back.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I must say that when I go to someones house, and see a layer of dust on shelves, it kinda grosses me out. I mean some dust is one thing, but a layer, where if you added some water you could make mud pies, yuck!!

But do I judge? I dont know. I'm kinda surprised at how some people live but I never say anything to them about it, that's not my place.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I always say that if people are coming, just to see a spotless house, than they should stay away. I have always lived by the motto.
    Great motto!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    But do I judge? I dont know. I'm kinda surprised at how some people live but I never say anything to them about it, that's not my place.
    Exactly! I'm not there to see their house I'm there to see THEM.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

My house has to be in show room condition for me to have company. I have always been that way.
    The only person I judge is my MIL. She lives all by herself and has the filthiest house I have ever see.
    My Mother owns a cleaning company, and actually cleans my MILs house.
    So I know her place is deep down clean, but surface dirty.
    I cant unerstand how someone that lives alone can make such a mess to warrent a weekly cleaner,and cant even keep it up in between visits.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    My house has to be in show room condition for me to have company. I have always been that way.
    That's me, too!

But I would never in a million years wish that on anyone else, so I don't expect anyone else to have a clean house.

Our old house got to be a pit last year while getting ready to move, clearing out stuff, going through papers, etc. More than anything, what stressed me out was that people came over and saw us living in a hole for quite a few months, but I eventually was able to just wallow in it.

But not now. I'm back to my freaky clean ways, except my desk area and my makeup drawers.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Great question!

I don't expect spotless or "show room" clean at all. I'm certainly not there! But there are relatives that live in what would be squalor to me. And not lack of money squalor. I don't mind dust or obvious every day clutter (newspaper, mail, shoes, books, that kind of thing). But stacks of newspapers, stacks of dirty dishes, piles of clothes and shoes that you know have been there for days or even weeks, um, no. Crusty cat food dishes on the counter. Basically old food anywhere grosses me out. Do the dishes people, that is not too much to ask!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I always say that if people are coming, just to see a spotless house, than they should stay away. I have always lived by the motto:

I really love this motto.

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    I am this way too. Which sucks because it generally means a few days of really hard back breaking labor to get it to that point.

I totally suck at cleaning, but I am getting better about it. My kids have their own chores, and my husband helps when he can.

I don't judge people by how messy their house is because I am not one to talk. I am attempting to be a reformed messy person.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast