Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Tornado Hits Downtown Atlanta

A tornado has swept through downtown Atlanta.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/14/sto...nta/index.html

So far no reports of deaths or major injuries, but a huge mess.

This could have been MUCH worse. There was a College playoff game AND a NBA game going on with probably 50,000 people between them and the building did suffer some damage but nobody was hurt.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...W_LLwD8VDJM9G0

Prayers for all those affected and thanks to God for nothing serious. This could have been a major disaster.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Tornado Hits Downtown Atlanta

And there's more storms on the way!

I didn't even realize this happened until I got a phone call from my mother, who is out of state.

It really is amazing that so many people are all right. There are just chunks of building materials all over the place down on Marietta Street (by Phillips Arena, CNN Center, Georgia Dome).

As I was typing this the news showed a covered gurney being taken out of a building. I have not heard mention of a fatality, but it didn't look good.

• Minion

Obviously we hope that the death toll will be as low as possible, hopefully zero.

But given what could have happened if a twister took out the Georgia Dome full of people, its been a lucky night
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Just to give you some perspective I live in Lawrenceville, GA which is Northeast of Atlanta by about 30-40 miles as the crow flies. This storm basically developed out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. In fact since the storm was not near my vicinity all we got here was lightning and a little rain The only reason I knew anything about it is because I was watching the game that it affected on TV. It was quite exciting...but I was waiting for the Georgia game that was to follow. As a sports fan I will explain what happened in those terms.

Alabama was playing Mississippi State in the SEC Quarterfianls in Mens College Basketball. Alabama, the underdog had just sent the game into overtime and the game was halfway through the Overtime period. Suddenly the game stopped amid a loud roar and the cameras focused on overhead girders and structures that were literally swaying from side to side. At the same time the radio I had switched on (that had the Georgia pre game on) the Emergency Alert System was activated for a Tornado Warning for the area. I couldn't see it then but heard about it later that debris then floated down onto the court...including paper and some small metal washers. The game went into a delay for about an hour or so. After the storm passed and an immediate check to make sure the Dome was "Structurally sound" they allowed the game to finish and Mississippi State ended up winning in a fantastic finish (n which Alabama nearly won it themselves at the buzzer).

At that point there was to be a 30 minute break between games. However the break went on for an hour or more and then the game between Georgia and Kentucky that was to start at approx 9:45 PM Eastern was eventually postponed after a more thorough check of the building and more storms developed in the area. Meanwhile TV cameras would show damage to the Dome and the complex in which it sits. There is major damage. At this point it is unclear if they can even continue the Tournament at the Georgia Dome.

Not only is this a major news story but it is a major sports story as the developments affect a major NCAA Conference's basketball tournament and what effect it will have on the upcoming NCAA tourney as well. But obviously the main concern is the safety of everyone in the area. There is a ton of damage downtown. And the weather is not supposed to be any better tomorrow. We are very lucky tonight that this did not turn into a major disaster it had the potential to become.

Wow what a night!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Banned User

How frightening. My hubby's family lost many friends in a tornado in Kansas. It was really terrible. I'm so thankful nobody was injured in this one.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    This storm basically developed out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. In fact since the storm was not near my vicinity all we got here was lightning and a little rain The only reason I knew anything about it is because I was watching the game that it affected on TV. ... At the same time the radio I had switched on (that had the Georgia pre game on) the Emergency Alert System was activated for a Tornado Warning for the area.
    All we got in Kennesaw was a lot of distant lightning and some very light rain. My weather radio, which is about 10 feet from where I have been sitting, never went off.

That gurney I saw was thankfully not a person as several officials have made statements since about no reported fatalities. It is also amazing how calmly everybody down there has handled all of this.

Also, it has yet to be confirmed if this was a tornado or just straight line winds.

• Minion

latest reports are 10 hurt, one seriously life threatening.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Some eye witnesses are saying they believe there were multiple tornados, with only one actually touching down successfully.

It appears that power outages are causing some problems for Atlanta emergency response units. People are unable to report where damage is as they lack means of contacting the proper authorities.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Also, it has yet to be confirmed if this was a tornado or just straight line winds.
    As I was listening to basketball coverage the Georgia broadcasters had talked to University of Georgia officials that claimed to see a funnel cloud touch down between the Georgia Dome and the World Congress Center. Of course that is unconfirmed at this point. The National Weather Service will do a survey I guess tomorrow morning to determine what the event actually was.

WSB Radio is in Continuous coverage mode right now at http://www.wsbradio.com They were in the right place at the right time. If they were not to air a basketball game they probably would have been in automation somewhat being that it was a Friday night.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    [B]As I was listening to basketball coverage the Georgia broadcasters had talked to University of Georgia officials that claimed to see a funnel cloud touch down between the Georgia Dome and the World Congress Center. Of course that is unconfirmed at this point. The National Weather Service will do a survey I guess tomorrow morning to determine what the event actually was.
    As they find more damaged areas it looks more and more like a tornado. Jeff Hill (WAGA-TV) was showing how most of the known damage is in a near perfect, 0.6 mile line heading east from the Georgia Dome.

WSB Radio is in Continuous coverage mode right now at http://www.wsbradio.com They were in the right place at the right time. If they were not to air a basketball game they probably would have been in automation somewhat being that it was a Friday night.
    In the past I believe they have patched WSB-TV audio through the radio feed.

• Colorful

From an hour after the storm hit the area WSB has flip-flopped between in-studio coverage and patching in their TV partner. right now they are in a top-of-the-hour news but for past ten minutes they have been relaying WSB TV.

WSB Radio is now reporting looting that is taking place in the city at the current time. 19,000 people in Downtown Atlanta are reported to be without power (according to Georgia Power)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Thanks for checking Brian, I'll keep all the rest of our ATL MC'ers in my thougts and prayers until we hear from them!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how youíd meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later youíd be playing like you were best friends?"

• Colorful

The sun has now come up over Atlanta and damage assessment is now occurring. I've heard some people describe the downtown area where the storm hit as a "War zone" When all is said and done there will likely be millions of dollars of damage caused by the tornado. The aerial footage I have seen over the area is stunning and it is amazing that no one was killed! Actually it is nothing short of miraculous!

There is a Moderate risk for additional Severe Thunderstorms (including possible tornadoes) this afternoon and evening so we are not done yet. In fact we had an additional round of storms this morning (which rudely woke me up around 6 AM)

As for the SEC Tournament they will not continue at the Georgia Dome. The remainder of the games will be played at Georgia Tech's Alexander Memorial Coliseum. Georgia-Kentucky will tip off at Noon and the Semi-finals will be played tonight (with the winner of the first game having to play twice in one day). The final game will be played at 3 PM tomorrow (two hours later than originally scheduled).

• Colorful

The City of Atlanta is currently holding a press conference. It has been confirmed that the damage from last night's storm is a result of a tornado. Preliminary estimates are that it was an F2 on the Fajiita scale.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

And I just got a Tornado Warning issued for my area. To the basement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast