• Premium Youngling and

Some Tips On Saving Gas

I was just checking my My Space and somebody had posted some tips about how to save gas... I am unsure of how correct these facts are, but they sound pretty legitimate to me

Here you go!

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high.

In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less gas worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. Thi s roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some f the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

• Lackey

Re: Some Tips On Saving Gas

Also, driving slower increases your miles per gallon, and starting out at a nice pace instead of just punching it. (Slowing down sooner, if there is already a yellow or red ahead, can make your brakes last longer). Keep your car tuned up... also helps.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• decorating

Definitely second the going speed lomit. The faster you drive, the amount of gas it takes increases drastically.
    Check your tire pressure.
    Do not keep it mostly empty... try to keep it at least half full so sediments don't clog up the system (and no, the kind of gas does not drastically matter. Many, no matter what they say, are very similar. I have used ARCO a majority of the time for the last 6 years, and my car is in excellent condition..)

• The mouse that Rocks

--MusicMouse
    Join The one Campaign. make poverty history.

Check out SILAS a band from Eugene Oregon
    Peep 'em here:

The official band page
    Help the musicians of New Orleans bring back the music at
    MusicRising.org

Amnesty International

Live closer to Disneyland!

For some reason Gasoline around the Disneyland resort (Anaheim,Fullerton,Buena park, Santa Ana, etc) seem to always have cheaper gas when compared to cities closer to Los Angeles. You would think stations next to the Parks would gouge guest but compared to my neck of the woods it's cheaper.

Look into using public transportation once a week. Just once a week, for something like a movie or shopping or groceries. Dunno about other Metro trip planners but the LA one shows you what a trip would normally cost if you drove instead. (And then there's parking you'll probably save on as well)
    http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

I know I have the good fortune to work independently, so I take LA buses all the time. It's really not as bad as everyone says. Disneyland-wise, I use tour transports to get back and forth.

I sorta thought that dollar cost averaging would work for gas purchases as well as investing in mutual funds...when the price of gas is fluctuating a lot as it had been around Chicago, you'll get more for your 20 bucks when it's low, and less when it's high. Yeah, you'll have to fill up more if the price is high, but maybe when you're ready to fill up the price has dipped a bit...I don't know if this would make that much difference but it does help in investing, and the principles should carry over. (I do it, sort of...I usually fill up at a Sam's Club but if I'm at a different station, I put in a fixed amount...)

• Award Weiners!?

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Live closer to Disneyland!

Tell me about it.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    I was just checking my My Space and somebody had posted some tips about how to save gas... I am unsure of how correct these facts are, but they sound pretty legitimate to me

Here you go!
    Mostly not... unless you consider a nickle to be a bunch of money and your time has no value.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.