Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

How do you get rid of raccoons?

A friend of mine's husband is deployed right now, and her attic is being overrun with raccoons. She wants my husband to come and shoot them. Now, my husband doesn't believe in hunting....and I am TOTALLY against shooting an animal just because it's a nuisance. But, this woman has two small children and the animals are evidently keeping them all up at night. So, they have to be gone. And soon. PLEASE help!!! I don't want the animals killed....is there ANY other way?

• Banned User

Re: How do you get rid of raccoons?

Maybe call the local animal shelter and ask if they come out to capture them??? I don't know anything else to do. And, they are nasty if you get too close....you don't want a child to be bitten by one.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I had raccoons in my trees a few years back. I called all sorts of places and nobody would come take them away. I cut the trees down, then they went away.

As for in the attic, I think you have to rent a sonic noise machine type thing that keeps them away, and you have to keep it there for quite some time because once they find a place to live, they don't give it up easily. Plus, make sure all attic access is secure.

• Directly directed

When I had raccoons living under my house I called the Sheriff and he set safe traps for them and put them back in the woods. But I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Has she tried calling Animal Control?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Call animal control.

• Minion

Either call animal control or a company that does the service.

I had an issue with them a couple times and you can often get rid of them with bug bombs, which will drive them out (and kill any bugs upstairs)

Or you can have a professional put in a cage and then release them

But the key is to make sure you find out where they are getting in and seal it up or they will be back.

if you check on my past posts you'll see pics of my visitor.
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

We had Wild Kingdom in the backyard of this house we used to rent.

One night, we went to the back window and noticed a Momma Kitty....she was meowing.....and was hungry....so we gave her some food...and she stayed.

A few days later, she had 6 kittens with her. I am not a cat person, but they were adorable.....so, we bought some feeding supplies and fed them twice daily.

Then one night, I looked outside.......and Oppossums were out there eating the cat food......

Then another night - I heard a horrible ruckus in the backyard.........and in the backyard were a couple of cats, a Oppossum and a Racoon!

I TELL YOU - WILD KINGDOM. And to answer your question (with my long long story), I don't know how to get rid of racoons .

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    We had Wild Kingdom in the backyard of this house we used to rent.

One night, we went to the back window and noticed a Momma Kitty....she was meowing.....and was hungry....so we gave her some food...and she stayed.

A few days later, she had 6 kittens with her. I am not a cat person, but they were adorable.....so, we bought some feeding supplies and fed them twice daily.

Then one night, I looked outside.......and Oppossums were out there eating the cat food......

Then another night - I heard a horrible ruckus in the backyard.........and in the backyard were a couple of cats, a Oppossum and a Racoon!

I TELL YOU - WILD KINGDOM. And to answer your question (with my long long story), I don't know how to get rid of racoons .

You just post to hear yourself type don't you?

Depending on where you live, animal control will do no good. All they told me was, it's basically not their problem and that I have to deal with it on my own. Nice huh? I wonder if I had a mountain lion in my backyard if they'd flinch.

At least the City of LA's animal control sucks in this regard. Maybe your friend lives someplace that has an animal control that will help them. I mean, we are paying tax money for them aren't we? Shouldn't they be there when we need them in situations like these?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    You just post to hear yourself type don't you?
    Why aren't you just the sweetest, Matt? Nothing bitter about you!!!!

• Little Miss Sunshine

If it was me, I'd set a few humane cages with food in the attic - then transport elsewhere (or have someone else do it for health reasons). I also don't like to kill animals for no reason, not even spiders - I had to shoo a wolf spider outside the other day.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Again! Again! Again!

You need to call a type of critter control or trapper to get rid of them. Animal control will do nothing unless they are in your house....and no, the attic does not count. They will come out and set up a high-pitched sonic machine, like Onut said. That will drive them out within a week.
    Now raccoons are creatures of habit, so they will most likely come back to try and nest. So you need to proof your house...block entrances where they are able to get in. Also, since they have probably been in there for awhile, I'm sure they have made a mess of things....excretion-wise as well. Your friend will need to get up there and clean it or it will really start to smell and maybe leak through the ceiling. It is a pain in the butt! We had to deal with this about a year and a half ago. The cost can be high, but in the end...so worth it!!

Also, when looking, be sure to find someone that will take care of the cleaning for them. Here is a website that I found while researching. We went with someone else that didn't do the cleaning, but ours weren't up there very long.
    http://www.crittercontrol.com/

Click on office locations, then the state on the drop menu on the right.

One thing to remember, they are nocturnal, so it may take up to a week to get them out. If there are babies, the mother will take them out one by one. It took about a week and a half to get ours out. We almost called the critter control people, but they finally moved out.

Good luck!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

and if any roof damage is caused by the raccoons...it should be covered by the homeowners policy
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post

But the key is to make sure you find out where they are getting in and seal it up or they will be back.

this is one of the things that makes me mad. The raccoon was there last year, and after she left, they just fixed the damage....they did nothing else to keep the raccoon from getting back in. So, this year, of course...she just knocked the eaves down and got back in. Now, I grew up in a small town in La. We know about critters. You have to build a fortress if you don't want critters in....2x4's, lattice...something. Little raccoon paws aren't gonna tear down plywood nailed into place. But, they didn't do this....so, that's part of the reason I'm SOO against shooting the poor thing. If you didn't want them there.....you should have taken better precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    and if any roof damage is caused by the raccoons...it should be covered by the homeowners policy
    thank you for telling me this...I don't think she knew that.

DLDaddy----I know what you mean about wild Kingdom. When me and my parents first moved into our house ....we even had wild turkeys! And we had a mama cat have kitten, then two of those kittens came back and had kittens...this went on for generations. I am a HUGE sap...I ALWAYS feed stray cats, and no matter where we live, there's some to feed. In our last house in Miss. a baby possum helped himself. We named him "fuzzy" and got to watch him grow up! It was great!

nbodyhome---sorry, spiders and bugs DO get killed at my house. I am terrified of anything that has more than 4 legs. Spiders give me chills...and those little silverfish...ew!!! We used to live by the beach...and those things, I STILL get goosebumps thinking of them!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Very carefully...
    Raccoons are cute & they like ramen but aren't too friendly.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast