View Poll Results: Are ghosts.....

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • real?

75 84.27%
  • a part of an over-active imagination?

9 10.11%
  • an advertising ploy used by employers to attract customers?

0 0%
  • both 2 & 3?

5 5.62%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• So!

Re: Do you believe in......GHOSTS?

I believe. I've had enough convincing in my time.

• Smells like beer

<Balky voice> DON'T BE RIDICULOUS!<end Balky voice> There is no such thing as ghosts, COME ON!! I do however wish to be proven wrong. If I ever came across a ghost I would do whatever I could to capture it. Do you realize how much money you'd get for capturing a ghost??
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Functional & Decorative

Yes, some things do have a "rational" explanation when you dig in to them, but many do not. To simply dismiss all paranormal phenomena because some turn out to have other causes is, IMHO, the sign of a closed mind. Implying that the people who have experienced these things are just imagining them (or worse, made them up) is condescending and insulting

I don't think it's a closed mind at all. In fact, I have a very open mind. For a long time, I used to believe in ghosts myself (after a visit to the aforementioned Whaley House, no less, when I thought I felt a cold spot). I have read a lot of literature about the subject, and heard lots of stories. But then for me, over time, I personally started to doubt many of these stories, didn't feel they added up, and that the evidence was sketchy, at best. Now, if I ever have an experience that leads me to believe to the contrary, then I will do so.

Unfortunately, there are people who do make these things up for attention (I do not believe you are one of these people, but they do exist). The classic "poltergist" experience very often turns out to be just that--a (typically) young girl who throws items across the room when no one's looking, and then claims a poltergist did it. Is this common? No--but it happens.

I do not intend at all to be condesending and insulting to those who have experience with the supernatural. As this thread indicates, lots of people seem to have them. And I love hearing the stories! Your personal experience leads you to believe. My personal experience (so far) leads me to be cynical. Niether is right or wrong...
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• So!

Do you hear that? *ghostbusters theme* Who you gonna call? LightBeer!

• Smells like beer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Take a look at this photo, particularly just above the doorknob:

'Nuff said.

I took this about 3 years ago on the Queen Mary. I sensed something wasn't right about that door, so I took a photo to see if it would reveal anything that wasn't present to the naked eye......... other faces are visible as well.

(This has not been altered in any way.)
    I'm 99% sure this is a joke. I don't see a thing.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    There is a bonus episode of Penn & Teller's B***S*** on their DVD that totally debunks what was previously classified as a paranormal experiece.
    While I love Penn & Teller's show, it's still television. To me, it proves no more than "ghost documentaries". P&T have also "debunked" religion, "psychics"/tarot reading, and even healthy lifestyles.

What they fail to show is that people should be free to worship/believe what they like without ridicule.

Being a tarot reader (for free, by the way), I have been told that I am "fake", a "swindler", a "bull**** artist", "crazy", you name it.

Pretty much anything can be "debunked" by opposing beliefs.

What harm is it for people to believe in ghosts or other "spiritual beings"? No one is hurting anyone or forcing anyone to believe in ghosts either.

I think people just need to be happy, whether that be through believing in ghosts, God(s), or even science.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBeer
    I'm 99% sure this is a joke. I don't see a thing.
    Actually, you've caught me at a time that I'm *not* joking. Sorry.

• Waiting for the stork

Do I believe...Oh yeah, absolutly I have had more proof in my life than I care to think about, but no I do not want to share my stories yet, I believe you can open doors to evil by allowing it in, my story is not pleasent, it still scares the s*** out of me and we are in a nice house that nothing strange has happened in yet, I won't be telling my story for fear that I will open the preverbial door....I hope it's firmly locked.

but Cara...your story is eerily familiar to me....not good.

if you believe in spirits, the good and or the evil be careful...they can come in....but i think if you do not believe it is harder for them to get through, you need to be open to it.(hence why a skepic doesn't experience things that people in the same situation do.)
    procrastibating

While I love Penn & Teller's show, it's still television. To me, it proves no more than "ghost documentaries". P&T have also "debunked" religion, "psychics"/tarot reading, and even healthy lifestyles.
    And to be honest, I've generally agreed with them on nearly all those issues, too. Did I agree with everything they debunk? No. Do their arguements have some flaws? Yes... like you said, they're just a 1/2 hour TV show. But they still manage to make some pretty strong cases overall.

What they fail to show is that people should be free to worship/believe what they like without ridicule.
    I agree with that. But at the same time, it can be tricky to draw the line. I remember a time when Tori Amos came out and claimed she sincerely believed in Faries. I mean, come on! Ghosts, I can understand. But Faries? She took some heat for that, and I think to a point, deservedly so. If I said that I believed the Christian God doesn't exist, and that Roman Gods are the only Gods worth worshiping, and that they move the sun, cause the rain, etc., I think most people would ridicule me and/or think I was nuts. I still have my right to believe it, of course, but I have to be prepared to take criticism for my decision.

Pretty much anything can be "debunked" by opposing beliefs.

Again, I agree... even my skeptical point of view can be "debunked", as many people on this thread have the right to do so.

What harm is it for people to believe in ghosts or other "spiritual beings"? No one is hurting anyone or forcing anyone to believe in ghosts either.

I think people just need to be happy, whether that be through believing in ghosts, God(s), or even science.
    Again, I agree. We all have the right to believe in whatever we choose to, as long as it does not harm others. And I don't think this is generally a topic that harms others. If it makes you happy, please, go right ahead! But on a more serious note, lots of people believed Jim Jones was God, and comitted mass sucicide when he told them to do so. An extreme example to be sure, but just illustrating that bad things can happen because of misplaced beliefs.

I will admit that I do see a face in the door (although it took me a while). But I also see faces in the clouds, and to me, that doesn't mean their haunted.

• Just Me

Yes, I believe. I spent over a year being "visited" before he finally realized he was scaring me and gave me the impression he was sorry, that night he left. I dont want to give details out of fear he will come back.

We spent one reallllly bad night at Whiskey Pete's (never again). The a/c was on its last legs, kept cycling on with a huge bang. The shower had broken fixtures. But the thing that happened in the middle of the night was the kicker. I woke up to see a man at the window. He was in our room. He had a very malevolent aura about him. I started screaming that there was a man in our room. Hubby woke up at that point, trying to figure out what was going on. He felt it too and switched on the lights. Needless to say we didn't go back to sleep that night.

When my mom was dealing with breast cancer she felt a female presence watching out for her-she knew it was near because my sister's bird would go nuts and the temp would drop. She also experienced a visitation from her dad when he died. She knew before she got the call.

The small farming town where I grew up was cursed. Every year one of our classmates would die in a horrific fashion. When I was in 9th grade it was a 7th grader crossing the main street (a 2 lane highway) to get to the school dance. She was hit by a big-rig right in front of the school. Her friends watched it happen. In 10th grade I was sitting in math when the sirens went off (volunteer fire dept). They didn't stop. We all knew somthing had happened and it was bad. At lunch I went out to the student store. As I looked into the building I could see the window catty-corner to where I was standing. I saw my friend Gary standing there waiting to be served. He waved to me and smiled. I waved back. Later that day the news started to spread. Gary was test driving another friend's car. They lost control and hit a concrete irrigation bunker doing 60mph. Gary had died on impact at 10:10 that morning.

yeah, I believe in ghosts.

But at the same time, it can be tricky to draw the line. I remember a time when Tori Amos came out and claimed she sincerely believed in Faries. I mean, come on! Ghosts, I can understand. But Faries? She took some heat for that, and I think to a point, deservedly so. If I said that I believed the Christian God doesn't exist, and that Roman Gods are the only Gods worth worshiping, and that they move the sun, cause the rain, etc., I think most people would ridicule me and/or think I was nuts. I still have my right to believe it, of course, but I have to be prepared to take criticism for my decision.
    Howdy! I'm Pagan/Wiccan. Nice to meet ya. Do I deserve to be criticized for my beliefs? Does *anyone* deserve to be criticized for their beliefs? My main deity of choice - Artemis/Diana. To me, she's the spirit of the moon. To me, Aphrodite is the spirit of the oceans and love. I believe in the power/energy of the full moon, and I believe in spirits/ghosts. Thankfully, there are quite a few others (read: hundreds of thousands) out there with my beliefs. And thankfully, we don't cross paths with very many who think we're nuts. I'm very open about it, and not ashamed of it at all. I wish more would be that way so people will just accept it as mainstream as any other faith. Until then, we seriously have our annual Pagan Pride Day every September.

I will admit that I do see a face in the door (although it took me a while). But I also see faces in the clouds, and to me, that doesn't mean their haunted.
    You might enjoy "Ghost Hunters" on Sci-Fi then. It's a great show, and they go in with the intention of disproving hauntings. But, they do find some stuff that they can't explain. It's certainly interesting.

Howdy! I'm Pagan/Wiccan. Nice to meet ya... Do I deserve to be criticized for my beliefs? Does *anyone* deserve to be criticized for their beliefs?... Thankfully, there are quite a few others (read: hundreds of thousands) out there with my beliefs. And thankfully, we don't cross paths with very many who think we're nuts. I'm very open about it, and not ashamed of it at all... I wish more would be that way so people will just accept it as mainstream as any other faith.
    Hey that's totally cool! I have friends that are wiccan, and I don't make fun of them in the least. I hope you didn't take my post wrong in that sense. I don't think anyone deserves ridicule. But it does happen. I mean, hello, I'm a gay man. I've endured more than my own share of ridicule for that. Did I deserve it? No. Do you deserve it? No. At the same time, I know I have to deal with people who don't share that point of view. I'm sure you must, too. But it's okay, because we're all defending what we believe in.

I have watched parts of Ghost Hunters, but usually got bored because they never seemed to find anything interesting. But maybe I'll try to start watching more carefully for those unexplainable moments, too.

• Minion

I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in the supernatural. Do I think that there are dead people's spirits causing trouble for people? Nope, but there are things that science cannot explain...

In fact, I'm not so sure I believe in science. Think about it, every other day we find out stuff like apples causing cancer, or eating chocolate can make you lose weight... then a couple of months later, we find out it was all BS.

Nearly every scientific find has been proven false at some point, and I suspect that anything that hasn't probably will in the future.

I have no clue what point I was trying to make there, so I'm just going to eat my stuffed crust pizza..

I don't think anyone deserves ridicule. But it does happen.
    I know. Sadly, it's part of human nature in general, and even more sadly, we're all guilty of it at times.

I have watched parts of Ghost Hunters, but usually got bored because they never seemed to find anything interesting. But maybe I'll try to start watching more carefully for those unexplainable moments, too.
    They do catch some neat stuff at times, like EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomenons) that can't be explained since there's no one present in the room, let alone any voices around. The one that really stands out though is the moving chair caught on video, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The room was completely vacant at the time, and that thing didn't just vibrate or shake, it slid across a small portion of the floor in two seperate instances. Maybe a ghost, or maybe a strange shift in the building?? Who knows, but it was cool to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I have no clue what point I was trying to make there, so I'm just going to eat my stuffed crust pizza..
    Now there's something that can't be explained - how do they stuff the crust anyway?

Maybe Pizza Hut has little magical elves like Keebler?

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast