Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Bear Country Refugee

Re: San Francisco road trip

I LOVE San Francisco! Envy! Envy!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Both Fisherman's Grotto and Aliotto's are great places to eat. And both have great sourdough rolls and views.
    I second the recommendation for Aliotto's! They have the best clam chowder in the world!

If you like museums, the city has some great ones. The Museum of Modern Art is world class. Right across the street, in Buena Vista Gardens - a park built on top of the underground convention center – is the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Then there is the De Young in Golden Gate Park, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park, the Wells Fargo Museum (California Gold Rush history), the Museum of the City of San Francisco, the Asian Art Museum…. I could go on and on.

• insufferable know-it-all

Anybody know when the Walt Disney museum will be opened?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My arms are tired!

Ooh! Caffe della Stelle 395 Hayes St., (415) 252-1110 is one of my favorite dining places. It's in Hayes Valley, a cool little shopping walking spot behind the Symphony Hall (also Vicolo pizza is around the corner for a quick afternoon bite, cormeal crust pizza, to die for) For an evening, it can be a nice little romantic spot, but in the evenings make reservations!

Also would be Zuni Cafe (415) 552-2522 - 1658 Market St, it's been there for ages and the food is also divine, the best roast chicken in the city. It has grown some, I remember when it had seating capacity for about 6. Perenial and fabulous!

If you want to sample some of SF's freshest fish, and are into riding a Cable Car, take the Van Ness/Market Street Cable Car (it runs on California Street) forget Fisherman's Wharf, hit Swan's Oyster Depot and grab a spot at the counter. 1517 Polk St (Polk and California Street) or just a bit up California (heading UP Nob Hill) is a little slice of Vienamese Heaven called Cordon Bleu, not much in the way of decor and not a long menu, but the 5 spice chicken and imperial rolls are worth walking from LA to SF for. 1/2 block on Polk in the other direction is one of the very best used book stores in town, Acorn Books.

If you are downtown in the financial district, there is always Tadich Grill, the oldest palce in the city, again, wonderful seafood. Venerable and not a bad thing on the menu. If pubs are in your mind, try Harrington's around the corner, great corned beef & cabbage if you hit them on a Thursday.

If you are walking along the Embarcadero, stop at the newly renovated Ferry Bldg. You can eat in there or get stuff to go and walk along the waterfront. Heading toward SBC park you can also stop by Reds Java Hut, sliders and a beer for about $2.50, popular among the office crowd

If you are strolling in North Beach, a must stop for a sandwich is Molinari's Deli, grab a number, and check the menu while all those wonderful guys fill the orders (If you see Joe, tell him Donna said hello), pick your rolls and your drinks, then walk a few blocks to the park in front of St. Peter & Pauls and enjoy the afternoon (providing it's not windy and cold) Also make sure you head up to Coit Tower and enjoy a 360 degree view that is not to be beat, even on a foggy day.

If you head out to the Avenues (48th & Judah) to check out the beach and where the old Sutro Baths and Playland at the Beach were, Thanh Long http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/...s/homepage.asp has incredible roasted crabs and garlic noodles (and make sure you both eat the noodles!) Check to see if the Musee Mechanique is still around, old arcade games and Laughing Sal from Playland.

Goodness, I could go on an on. Can you tell I love my old stomping grounds?

Snow

P.S. Have a GREAT TIME

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• Gay Man

Grab the best pizza on the planet at North Beach Pizza. Visit City Lights Books to get a bit of the old City Beat Vibe. The Presideo is beautiful. The Haight (Upper and Lower) is scummified but still cool and filled with the "alternative" sorts. Lombard Street. Nob Hill & Coit Tower. Go across the Bay to Berkely - Telegraph and Shattuck Streets are best.

It's been years since I've done the major touristy stuff, so I can't comment too much on that.

On the way up.......If you take the 1 - Big Sur is INCREDIBLE! Go to Nepenthe for lunch and take a trek down to Julia Pfifer State Beach for sights that will take your breath away. Monterey Bay Aquarium is the BEST aquarium on the planet. Santa Cruz is fun a wacky. Gillroy is a great place to buy garlic-infused things.

I could give you plans for a 2 week vacation up and down the Coast. I have traveled it extensively and adore it all.

• My arms are tired!

Quote Originally Posted by jwbear
    I LOVE San Francisco! Envy! Envy!

I second the recommendation for Aliotto's! They have the best clam chowder in the world!

If you like museums, the city has some great ones. The Museum of Modern Art is world class. Right across the street, in Buena Vista Gardens - a park built on top of the underground convention center – is the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Then there is the De Young in Golden Gate Park, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park, the Wells Fargo Museum (California Gold Rush history), the Museum of the City of San Francisco, the Asian Art Museum…. I could go on and on.
    I believe the De Young is currently closed for renovation. The Asian is in the old library building at Civic Center and yes, the SF MOMA is great!

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

•   
    • the original.

Lately, there hasn't been any mention of the proposed Walt Disney Museum in the Presidio. All I remember hearing about it is that it's supposed to be completed by 2006-07 (?) That's the rumor I heard.

The Asian Art Museum's current exhibition is "Tibet: Treasures from the Roof of the World." I haven't had the opportunity to look at this particular exhibition, but it seems pretty cool. So you might wanna check it out if you feel like it.

Angel Island?

Coit Tower
    Lombard Street
    Cable Cars
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Dumbarton (Oakland) Bridge
    Mission San Francisco de Asis (aka Mission Dolores)
    Palace of Fine Arts Exploratorium
    Legion of Honor Museum
    Wells Fargo Museum
    Fisherman's Wharf (BOUDIN BAKERY!!!)
    Musee Mechanique (huge collection of antique arcade machines)-well I thought it was nice..
    North Beach....pizza

Ghiradelli Square
    Fort Mason?

Stroll around SF's Chinatown...especially in this one alley where they bake and sell fresh fortune cookies.

If you a, uh, garlic fan, you can make a visit to The Stinking Rose restaurant...you can buy a box of garlic chips there...I'm eating a bag right now...

maybe wanna rethink Pier 39... :|

oh, can't forget Union Square

if you know the history of it, you'll appreciate these sites a lot more. I can help you with Mission Dolores...I did a report on it in fourth grade. :|

ooohhh I loooove my city!!

I have photos of several of these sites...on my computer if you wanna look, PM me.
    Last edited by disneydreams; 08-10-2005 at 06:20 PM.
    kaitlin

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreams
    Mission San Francisco de Asis (aka Mission Dolores)
    Legion of Honor Museum
    Add Fort Point to this list and see Hitchcock's Vertigo before you go.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I could give you plans for a 2 week vacation up and down the Coast. I have traveled it extensively and adore it all.
    I wish we had 2 weeks instead of just a weekend!

And thanks to everybody for the suggestions!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

I can't give any more suggestions than what's already been given. But, have fun!!!...and I'll see you guys in a few weeks!!!

• Smells like beer

The only thing I was going to suggest, cause I know Anders loves sports, was to check out SBC park, but thats already taken care of. All the places people listed above are great. PM me if you guys wanna know a few places to get yourselves in trouble.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

My Town!.....as you will seeing our nice new ballpark, located just south of the Bay Bridge, Besides ALL the usual stuff, Fishermans Warf/Pier 39, GG park, GG Bridge, Union square, The Embarcadero, Chinatown,etc...

I would Like to Suggest My Favorite Way to See the City, From the WATER! You can take a Bay Cruise From Fishermans Warf OR Ride the Ferry from The Embarcadero to Jack London Sqaure and back. (Dont know if you are Jack London fans?) Nice Restaraunts stores and the like, and his cabin. GREAT VEIWS from the ferry Ride!

If you dont want to do that, but want the BEST Backdrop for a Photo of San Francisco's skyline, Get on the BAY BRIDGE, and get off half way across. No, Dont Jump!, But take the Exit to Treasure Island, (a closed Navy Base,) and right before the front gate there is a a parking area, (cant miss it, only one road) and a wall and fence about 3 feet high, and there you will see the Best Veiw of San Francisco there is!

Also better than Driving across the Golden Gate bridge, is to Park just before you get on the bridge, AND WALK! it is 1 mile across, and will give you an experience you will never forget!

Have fun! If all else fails PM Us for any Questions, We are out in Walnut Creek, 30 miles east of the City, and although I think we have plans, we aren't sure yet!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Still wants to be a cat!

If this has been mentioned, sorry, don't miss a Trolley car ride!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

I read in E-Ticket that it wasn't happening in SF. (The Walt Disney Museum)

Personally I don't like SF. Sure it's a beautiful city, but just getting around is hell. Parking is hell and expensive; one way streets; streets so tiny they fit 4 lanes in where there should only be 1; lots of homeless. I was there earlier in the year for a con and I just took the amtrak there and a bus in the city. Walked where I needed. A lot less stress a lot cheeper. Train was under $100 round trip! But the 101 drive is a LOT of fun. Vinyards, Anderson's Pee Soup. Or Anders Pee soup (good place for a potty stop!) :0

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. I'm sure we'll have plenty of pics and stories when we get back. Have a great weekend!!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12