• Banned User

@ Anyone familiar with camera stuff

I'm looking for a bigger lens for those really close up shots when I can't get very close to my "target". I currently have a 28-80mm short lens with wide angle lens attachment and a 75-300 zoom lens. I'm looking for something a bit bigger but not sure what's out there. I don't want anything that could show me dust on the moon, but something a little better than what I have would be great.

I'm using a Canon D80. Thanks for any suggestions you might make.

• decorating

Re: @ Anyone familiar with camera stuff

Remember, you're going to need a tripod/monopod for zooming much more...
    I don't have a recommendation, but as always, Canon makes excellent lenses.

Canon doesn't make a D80, are you sure it's not a Nikon?

Either case, knowing your budget would help with suggesting lenses.

• Award Weiners!?

Do you want to be able to zoom in on far distanced subjects? Or, GET IN CLOSE with the subject you are shooting.

You can always go with a really wide angle lens. I own a 15mm Sigma f/2.8 and it does the job.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/15_28_ex

You can get in real close to your subject. I believe the minimum distance from the lens to focus is about 3 inches.

Not my work but this is a shot taken with a Sigma.

They make these lenses for both Canons and Nikons.

:EDIT:

Just further read your post in depth. Anything about 300mm and you're looking to spend quite a bit of money. I own a 70-300mm and a 18-200mm.

Check out www.bhphotovideo.com, probably the best place to buy camera equipment online.

• Banned User

Yeah, Nikon D80, sorry.

I found a couple of nice telephoto lenses on Ebay for decent prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

Any thoughts?

• Award Weiners!?

Hm, never heard of Opteka.

Also remember that what you pay for is what you get. The quality of the photo usually has to do a lot with the quality of glass.

You may pay the 129 but are you willing to sacrifice that quality?

Nikkor is the way to go if you own a Nikon.

I read a couple of reviews that don't even come close to talking up Opteka quality. It also looks like the lowest aperture setting on these lenses is f/8, which means you will have to almost ALWAYS be in PRIME lighting situations to get a good shot with out a tripod.

Here are the reviews and things said about Opteka glass:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KgmD

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    Remember, you're going to need a tripod/monopod for zooming much more...
    I don't have a recommendation, but as always, Canon makes excellent lenses.
    What she said. ^^ Once you start getting into those larger lenses, you'll need a special mount on your tripod to balance the weight of lens so it won't snap off or damage the ring.

Not sure how much you were looking to spend, but the Nikkor 80-400 VR lens looks really nice. It also depends on how far away you are really going to be from your subject. The 500 - 1000mm you were looking at can really suck your image up close, but the quality is supposed to be pretty lousy. You can buy them new at that price, but you get what you pay for.

I just found the following review at...http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...2/Main/2159759

I would recommend against it. These dirt cheap teles are even recommended against for daytime use: they tend to have low contrast, no auto focus, dim view through viewfinder and to be quite soft. Now, do you really want to use these for the least forgiving of all subjects? Reproducing the image of stars is the hardest test for any lens. Most professional lenses need to be stopped down half to one stop to get sharp stars in the whole image. A dirt cheap 50mm f/1.8 has to be stopped down to f/4 before being acceptably sharp (The same goes for the f/1.4 version - which is usable at f/2.8). That's two full stops. If you have to do this with your 500mm f/8, you suddenly got a 500mm f/16. Your dirt cheap 62.5mm aperture becomes a significantly less cheap 31mm aperture... Imaging Deep Sky at f/8 ain't too much fun: long exposure times and all the mess coming along with it: critical polar alignment, tracking, ... But doing it at f/16 is just hellish.

My advice: save yourself from a lot of frustration and keep your money. Invest it in a less cheap but decent lens:
    50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4*
    85mm f/1.8
    100mm f/2.8 or f/2
    135mm f/2
    200mm f/2.8
    300mm f/4
    400mm f/5.6
    Worthwhile zooms:
    70-200mm f/2.8* or f/4 (performance nears prime performance) (Canon - not Sigma which often suffers from aligment problems)

(* lenses I use myself. I also have the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 17-40 f/4 and 300 f/2.8. I use the first 2 hardly for astrophotography and the last is way too expensive to be included in that list...)

Ok, the last ones are rather expensive... Most of these can be found on the used market for 60-70% of the new price. These are all stunning lenses and they'll give you a lot of pleasure in return and not only for astrophotography but also for daytime use and retain their value pretty well when you want to sell them again.

Koen
    Granted, that was from someone taking shots of the night sky, but you get the point. A Nikkor lens with VR will blow away a $99 500/1000 tele lens easily. There's a reason that so many of these lenses are on ebay.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 04-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.

• Banned User

Forgot to mention that I do have a tripod.

• Award Weiners!?

Even if you had a tripod, you'd still be screwed.

Take a sporting event for example. Let's say you're at a football game at DUSK, the field is obviously well lit, your camera is on a tripod with your Opteka lens attached.

Minimum aperture would be f/8. You'd have to set your shutter speed to something really slow to allow enough light to come into the camera in order to produce a nice shot. Reducing shutter speed = Increasing motion blur = crappy picture.

Unless you're taking a picture of a person standing STILL in the middle of the day, you're pretty much screwed.

Save the money, you'll end up regretting buying one. GL. Hope the info was a little helpful.

Welcome to the (D)SLR world, lens shopping is just the beginning!

Again without knowing your budget and what your shooting, this lens might work for you. It's not the fastest, but has a pretty good range. It's $999 from BH.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_4_0_6_3.html

A cheaper alternative might be a teleconverter, if your 75-300 is able to use one. Be aware that with 1.4x TC you will lose one full stop (and AF in some cases), and with the 2x two stops.

Here's a forum for Nikon lens users. I'm pretty sure you'll find a post similar to yours.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1030

My lens collection covers 24mm f2.8 - 840mm f8
    24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8 IS (Image Stabilized)
    300 f2.8 IS (420mm w/1.4x; 600mm w/2x; 840mm w/ 1.4x+2x)
    1.4x TC
    2x TC