Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• off in lala land

Not exactly the Superstar I dreamt I'd be

Are you doing exactly what you dreamt you would be doing when you grew up?
    ...it's been a long time.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Not exactly the Superstar I dreamt I'd be

No. I wanted to be an Imagineer.

I know very few people who actually do what they always wanted to do. I can name about 3 actually. People change, life changes. Not that I am not happy in what I do and enjoy it, but am I working the job I had always wanted to? Nope.

• Happy Memories

I've had the opportunity to actually try most of the things that I've thought i wanted to do. Unfortunately I discovered in trying them that they weren't the right choices for me. Now I'm in a bit of a rut because i want to be settled down and stable (which i mostly am, just not in a perfect long term situation), but haven't a clue which road to take in getting there. There are times when I wish that i had maintained focus on earlier dreams rather than chase new ones. I might actually be in the stable place by now if i had. Of course doing that would mean that I wouldn't have all the memories and experiences that I did have during that period of my life, so maybe things are just fine the way they've gone down.

{does my babbling make any sense at all? cause i can't tell... }

Oh HM ....... I always enjoy your posts. But on this one, should I laugh or ......

Not exactly what I had planned on doing but hey, at least the current job got me a private office where I can spend quality company time at Micechat ......

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

HA!! Yeah right!

I planned on being a career woman, living alone, focusing on myself, maybe getting married late 20's early 30's and having kids then. I wanted to live for a year in New York City, travel, be single, etc. etc.

And here I sit, a stay-at-home mom at 26 in god forsaken MINNESOTA. Certainly not where I expected. This is probably far more rewarding and important than anything else I could have done. But I sure miss the time I had planned on taking for myself before I had a family.

Oh well, life goes on! And I wouldn't trade my son for anything!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Senior Minion

No, thought I was going to be a Professinal cyclist when I was 21, I hurt my back and that was the end of that.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• /sigh

Nope.

I was actually having this discussion with family a while back. It used to be that a job was a job. You worked to support the home and family. You didn't complain or ask questions, you were simply the worker bee.

I think modern times have romanticized the ‘career’ as to what your heart wants and seek to do in life. And hey, if you make it big, even better! But, unfortunately, this makes for very disappointed and unhappy people who come to the realization that they are not doing what they really wanted to do in life. In fact, I bet most people will never have their dream career. Me included.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Waiting for the stork

I got part of it...

the mommy part, I always wanted to be a mommy, and I am to two wonderful little angels.

but the rest
    *looks around*
    ~no, no Academy Award on the mantle...
    ~no huge overblown mansion
    ~no glorious pool in the back.
    *looks at driveway*
    ~Minivan....definatly not the sports cars I thought I'd have.
    *looks in the closet*
    ~no Prada, no Armani, no Guchi... nothing to look like I just threw it on to go shopping but in reality spent hours deciding exactly what would be best for the inevitable paparatzzi shots today...
    *looks at body*
    ~yup, I've had kids, Nope don't have the rock hard abs that I wanted.
    procrastibating

• insufferable know-it-all

Yes and no.

I've achieved almost all the goals I set at age 13:

Foreign exchange student to England - check
    USC Trojan Marching Band - check
    Graduate USC - check
    Work at Disneyland - check

Now I'm in the unenviable position of finding new goals I can commit to with the same amount of heart I gave those first goals. I've had a series of ever-changing intermediate life goals, which come and go with the changes in my life, but nothing I've been so die-hard committed to as the ones I've already achieved.

Now my goals are less career-oriented, and the how-to is less clear:
    Buy a home
    Buy a rental home
    Buy another rental home
    Buy more rental properties until the income from them allows me to stop working

That's why I'm now working in a real estate office. Granted, I'm not a licensed agent yet, but I'm preparing for that (because you have to save up a bit before making that leap or you won't make it), because I think selling real estate will both give me the money I need to start buying my own, as well as give me a solid understanding of the market I'm buying into so that I buy correctly.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Cuzco, that was perfect.

And it's not even just careers, its everything. From where you live to relationships. So many people have this idealized notion of who they want to be with that they cant open their eyes to the possibility that someone else might ACTUALLY be their perfect match. I have friends that dated, got along, they seemed perfect in most ways but one would break up with the other because they didnt meet some portion of a list they had in their mind. People dont understand what compromise is anymore, its all or nothing which is sad.

I admit Ive fallen into that category myself but buying my home made me realize that unless you build from scratch, you aren't going to have EXACTLY what you want. And it's not settling, settling means you just are giving up. Compromise means dealing with what you have and being happy with it IMHO. I wouldn't have chosen to live on a busy street like I do now, but the house was perfect in most every other aspect which is why I compromised and bought it. And me doing that made me take note of my life and have said to myself that I need to NOT be so picky with relationships which is why I dont think I am so much anymore.

OK I have totally drifted off the subject - I'm sorry.

Just go to work and do your job!!

• Minion

So far, so good...

After a substantially difficult childhood, I think I am doing pretty well. the events that transpired when I was young made me strong, bold, and un-flinching. As a result, I stop at nothing to achieve my goals and dreams...

I want to be a professional musician (i.e. studio work, and educator). Musically, I have fulfilled my goals, and I'm getting ready to pursue a doctorate in music education and performance.

As for the whole relationship, I always felt that I shouldn't go looking for someone, but rather let love find me. I can say that it works, at least for me, although in my situation, after nearly a year of dating, the person who I believed was my soul mate passed away after an accident in 01. I still believe that I should follow my dreams and let romance take its course however...

Long Term Goals:

Disney World Musician and feature film musician
    Travel the world
    Own a home

That's it, and so far things are going ok!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I can say that it works, at least for me, although in my situation, after nearly a year of dating, the person who I believed was my soul mate passed away after an accident in 01.
    Aww, SoulQ, I'm so sorry to hear that.

On another note; HiddenMickey you ARE a superstar in my eyes!!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station

Beleive it or not YES!!
    I am very happy to be where I am at work.
    When I was little I wanted to sell balloons at Dsineyland, when I got older I wanted to be in the Electric Parade. Once I even had an expierience with security there that made me turn my career towards that, and I am doing exactly what I have always wanted to do Security at Disneyland.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• Gay Man

Hmmmm. That's an interesting questions and one that we've been talking a lot about lately.

In many ways I AM living the type of life I always dreamed about. We financially secure, we own a home, we've been traveling around the world and playing the jet setter I only used to see on TV. I drive a fun car and have my share of wonderful handbags. But, I'm not rich by any means. All that is nice, but it could go away and I'd still be living the life I dreamed about.

Growing up, what I always really wanted was a good relationship, a general sense of well-bing and happiness, stable friends, enriching friendships and lots of fulfulling experiences. For the most part, I DO have those things. If those things went away, my life would change significantly and would not longer be the stuff of dreams.

Now, career-wise; I've gone through so many phases and dreams, I have no clue. I just do what makes me happy right now.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Dreams Fulfilled:

• Live in So. California
    • Have unlimited access to Disneyland
    • Swim with Dolphins
    • Work on a feature film in front of the camera (paid)
    • Work on a feature film behind the camera (paid)
    • Work in television behind the camera (paid)
    • Be a special effects artist (paid)
    • Be a graphical designer (paid)
    • Be a costumer/dress-designer (paid)
    • See "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway
    • See the "Macy's Thanksgiving Parade" live
    • Spend a week on a boat on the ocean
    • Have pet ducks (well, kinda.....)
    • Work at WDW
    • Work at Disneyland
    • Sing in front of an audience
    • Meet the love of my life
    Yet-to-Be:
    • Win an Oscar
    • Have a dream engagement
    • Have a dream wedding
    • Buy a house
    • Visit TKDL, DLP, HKDL, and DisneySeas
    • Travel to many foreign counties
    • Spend a week with an indigenous tribe in Africa
    • Visit Antarctica
    • Camp in the Rocky Mountains
    • Camp at Yosemite
    • River raft through the Grand Canyon
    • and much, much more - I'm always dreaming up new stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast