Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Personal phone calls at work

I work at home so I can talk on the phone as much as I want.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    I work at home so I can talk on the phone as much as I want.
    Do you work in your underwear, though? That's one you can't try at the office.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I don't get many calls at work. Nobody has my work number, so the few I get are on my cell. And to be honest, I'm usually too busy to sit and talk on the phone.

I'm in the middle of training someone to cover my job when I go on vacation and her cell rings like every 5 minutes and she has to keep answering it. Her husband calls her after he finishes every job he does (he cleans carpets), so he calls like very hour...I don't know how she gets any work done

• For old time sake

I only get them if it's something important that needs my immediate attention. Mostly now it's Mr. Dkat asking something about the baby.

I can use AIM at work, which is how we normally communicate when I'm at work and he's home with the baby.

I think multiple calls at work are a bit out of hand. I've never liked personal calls at work. I'm being paid to do my job, not talk to my family.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Banned User

I work 3 days a week at a bank drive up window. The building is a block from the rest of the bank, so, I talk on my cell when I don't have customers. I do not talk in front of them, obviously, even though most of them are talking on theirs and ignoring me! And, because I am out there in my own domain...I don't get calls on the company phone, just on my cell because I'm alone out there. It's heaven!

• Senior Minion

All phones are put on silent, strict policy where I work. It does get annoying.

My wife and I text message, but only when its closer to the end of my work day.

Corporate does allow us to use our phone if they are silent and on vibration mode in case they need to get a hold of us directly.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Happy Memories

I don't get personal calls very often at work, but then again I don't get many personal calls even out of work. I just don't enjoy talking on the phone and most of my friends know that. I do the majority of my comunicating via texting and various internet sources (email, IM, social sites). I do tend to do a lot of that stuff at work, but for my job that never really gets in the way of getting work done. Really, text based comunication is way better for my work than actuial phones calls. The machines I use are loud, so my work basically has to come to a stand still during a phone call. With texting that's not a problem.

I'm next door to a room where many phones calls, both business and personal are made though. I see nothing wrong with them as long as the person uses a bit of courtesy and common sense. Unfortunately we all know that's not the case. One person has the MOST annoying ringtone i've ever heard, and others talk so loud it's as if they want you to overhear because they need the attention. That annoys me.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I think it depends a lot on the work environment. If your job is one that you can continue doing while talking on the phone, without disturbing those around you, I don't see a problem with it.

In your workplace, they have to go outside, which means they aren't getting work done. That should be kept to a minimum. I'm not saying they shouldn't ever get personal calls, but several times a day seems quite excessive.

In mine, we're on the phone all day long. So, if I'm on a personal call, I can't answer my work phone which means I can't continue to do my job. It's one thing to get a call really quickly and then get off the phone, I don't count those. But, this one girl here comes in every morning and talks on the phone for nearly an hour, on personal calls. Then, she'll get off the phone right before or when the lead comes in and act all stressed out about how much we have to do and such. Um, yeah, if you'd been helping the last hour, there wouldn't be as much. I tell on her. It doesn't do any good, but at least I know that they know she's full of it. And the guy next to me always has his ringer on loud, then leaves the room so we have to listen to it, as do the customers when we're on the phone.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Hiding in the shadows

I rarely get personal calls at work, unless its an emergency with the kids, otherwise people know to not bother me. I have co-workers that get calls all day and will sit at their desk and talk, some go outside as well. I think its rude if its often because you are being ppaid to work (although I usually have micechat up so...)

Anyway, I don't understand what people have to talk about all day, I rarely chat on the phone at all.

A little piece of heaven

• Clearing my Calendar

I work from home most days. As long as I get my weekly work done at the end of the week, it doesn't really matter if I take phone calls (which, incidentally, I don't - no one calls me! ).

I do MiceChat in between "steps" of my work though just to realign my brain. Sometimes things can make me go cross eyed and I need a break.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I work on the phone all day, every day. But I get or make about 8 personal calls a day. On average. Usually to or from my kid, but sometimes not. It's never been a problem.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Out of the 8 plus months of working at my job, I only got one personal call from dad telling me to be safe when coming home because a storm was coming.

But personally, if work is not busy, and we still get everything done, I could care less about how many personal phone calls my co-workers get.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

It all depends on where you work and what your work's policy is.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Banned User

In 6+ months on this job I've had 2 personal calls, both from my wife.

• Circle of Ancients

I talk to my woman a few times per day, not a problem with my job.

Of course, lately I've been on conference calls 5 or 6 hours each day which REALLY cuts into my personal phone call taking time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast