Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Personal phone calls at work

How much is too much?

I get maybe, MAYBE one call a week. All of my other coworkers are constantly running outside answering their cell phones because of personal calls. I mean I'm talking at LEAST a minimum of 3 calls EACH per day. Usually it's much higher. (fyi I work for a small company with just 6 of us plus the boss, from his home).

Personally, I don't like getting them at work, unless it's an important call of course. My boss even took the time during my latest review to point out how I don't get calls like everyone else, and that he appreciates that. Which is nice and all, but you're the boss! If you have issues with them, take that up with everyone else in the office!

So what's your take? Do you get them at work? How often? Tell me, I'm curious

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: Personal phone calls at work

I am on the phone at work, a lot, I have to admit. Blah Blah Blah all day long. But I have a lot of busy work which I can talk on the phone and do my work. I sit in a cubicle, its my own space so its not like I am bothering someone else. I get my work done, so I see no issue with it. But if my boss had an issue, I would tone it down, but so far, nope. So I will keep on chatting, thnak you! It makes my day go faster
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Kerplookee

My work doesn't really care.

but,
    I know way too much about the women around me than I'd like to. I wish they had the courtesy to go outside and use their cell phones.
    I have to hear detailed explanations about medical conditions over and over. And god forbid something happens in their life and I have to hear the same story 30 times throughout the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Banned User

I see nothing wrong with it unless it gets in the way of work.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

At my last job, I worked with a girl that got at least 5 personal calls a day on her cell phone. It was a very small office (5 of us total) and it drove us all nuts. At that job we were allowed one personal call a day, yet her friends would call her all day long. Made us wonder if she told her friends she has a job or if her friends had jobs. If she wasn't talking on the phone, she was texting constantly. That girl did anything but actually work.

I personally can see one or two a couple times a week, but several every single day is a bit much. I don't get personal calls unless it's an emergency. My friends all have jobs and we respect each others work time. At my current job, I could get away with it more as I have more privacy even though I share an office with another girl. I do get away with quite a bit of texting as a result, but that's a lot quieter than talking on the phone. I also keep my phone set on vibrate when I'm at work so it isn't beeping every 10 minutes when I get a text. Drives me nuts when I hear everyone else in the office's cell phones going off every time they get a call or text.

• Bucket List Car

I am a supervisor with two people under me. We all get personal calls from time to time. Me probably more than the others. I don't mind if their immediate family (husband/wife/kids, etc.) calls them occasionally. To me, that's important. But what I don't like is when their best friends will call and they will chat it up for a long time. I don't usually say anything, again, cuz we all get personal calls. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Our work environment is quite casual so it's really not a big deal and most people are courteous.

Oh, and I agree; I hate to hear conversations about personal issues, medical conditions, kids in trouble for not doing their homework, etc. I try to repay the courtesy, but I'm sure I have personal conversations that wear everyone out around me.

• no flash photography...

I do not get any personal calls on my work phone. Nobody I know has my direct number and extension. If anything they call my cell phone, but it's on quiet and they have to leave a message or text me, but i do not get those messages or texts until my breaks.

•   
    • Seasick

I'm typing this at work, so any criticism towards people doing non-work related activities at work will be completely hypocritical

I don't do personal calls at work, except in rare circumstances. I do personal e-mail however. There really isn't a difference.

As long as work comes first and gets done as scheduled, a little bit of personal time is okay IMO. It helps keep people sane.

How much is too much? Hard to say. How long are the 3 calls per day your co-workers are taking? 20 minutes each = an hour of worktime a day. That would not be reasonable.

• Bucket List Car

Oh, and I also think everyone should keep their cell phones on vibrate in an office/cubicle work environment. I don't care that you have "girls just want to have fun" as your ring tone. (nothing wrong with the song-just don't want to hear it at work).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

In my field, or former field, you can't take personal calls. I mean you can, but then you'd have chaos and you can't concentrate on the phone call and the kids. My take is: you have breaks for a reason. Unless it's an emergency don't take the calls. And once I get a job in nursing (starting school for that in a month), I'd assume you can't.

• Loves Fajita!

I am not so much the personal call type. I do email, IM, and stuff like that a lot. So I am NOT saying I am 100% on task all the time. With that in mind I dont look down on peoples personal calls, because they could say the same about my interneting. This was even when I was on a clock, we all were off task sometimes. Now that I am salary and take brakes lunches however I choose its less of an issue.

I figure if it gets in the way of work It will show, and then its for our boss to deal with. However, personal calls DO annoy me when they are loud and distracting. The women who nag to their husbands all day are the worst. Nagging is a pet peeve of mine anyway. I dont wish to hear you treating your husband like a 3 year old all day.

Also most of my friends and my husband work for the same company. So a lot of times when I get a call from my husband, or my friends, it will start off work related and then we chat for a bit too.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm typing this at work, so any criticism towards people doing non-work related activities at work will be completely hypocritical
    Hehehe. At my job we can use the internet for personal use when we're on break. It even says that in our personnel policies handbook. And everyone right up to the big boss does that, so that's no biggie. But say, posting on MC when you should be entering paperwork or whatever is unacceptable at my job. If we have downtime, we need to see if anyone else needs help with something before we can slag off a bit. And 9 times out of 10, someone does need help.

• Winter in Oceanside...

None of my business what others do in their jobs. If you get your work done, or not, that would be the boss's problem... HOWEVER, having to listen to the personal calls, hear the cell phone rings, and have to pick up the business phone line because the person who should be answering the business phone is on her cell phone, is very annoying and should be addressed. In that respect, I think emailing or IM is very different that personal cell phone use.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

OMG SO ANNOYING!!!
    The lady who used to sit next to me was on her phone all day long. AT LEAST 5 or 6 calls a day - mostly her husband, who seemed VERY needy and unable to run the house while she was gone.

She sits elsewhere but we still have the "medical lady" who talks so loudly that I have to blast my music, and then I still can hear her! She also has some other personal issues I don't want to get into. I know all about her cats too.

i don't do personal calls at work. A few people have my office number for emergencies, and IF my cell is on and I think it's a call I should answer right away, I get up and go to conference room. Because A) It's my own business, nobody else needs to know my private stuff and B) It's RESPECTFUL to others around you who are actually WORKING.

Yes, I check my e-mail and whatnot but that doesn't disrupt anyone's work but my own. Even when we talk to each other, we're not talking about each other's business nor are we talking louder than regular volume.

UGH rude, rude rude!!!

/passion lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

I don't get too many personal calls at work, but that's probably because I only give my work number to people who'd need it to reach me in an emergency.

On my cell phone, though, that's another thing. Occasionally I'll get a personal call on my cell at work, and unless I'm right in the middle of a meeting or a discussion with the boss or on the phone with a client or vendor or something, I'll probably take it, but be brief about it. Once in a while I'll even be daring and make a personal call on my cell while I'm at work (usually during lunch).

But for the most part, employers expect you to keep your personal life outside of your business life, and I pretty much abide by that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast