• Incognito

Blog Entries

Back to school memories

I was sitting here thinking about old school lunchboxes for some odd reason. Remember the metal Thermos ones with all the choices you could pick out every year? Talk about pop culture. I used to have a Peanuts one for 1st and 2nd grade, and an NFL helmet one (apparently my folks attempt to butch me up in 3rd grade even though at the time I HATED football - lol). I remember the ones that looked like yellow school buses, and the soft sided black ones that had Barbie on them, and the WDW one that was white with some characters on it and some rides.

Other back to school memories for me were buying new Crayola Crayons every year, and having Elmers School Glue too. New #2 pencils and Bic Banana pens and lined paper and Pee Chee folders and a see through plastic holder thingy you clipped into your binder that held your pens and glue and such. New school uniforms every year (Catholic school thing), and picture day where you got to wear free dress to school and brought your hairbrush to make sure you had a nice coif, and they always made you look at Mickey Mouse's head when you had your picture taken. Half days in September when it was so hot outside and no air conditioning in the classrooms (those were great!).

Even though I always HATED going back to school and loathed September, I look back with so many fond memories.

What about your back to school memories?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Back to school memories

My latest back to school memory just happened. I went and paid my tuition. Ouch!

But when I was a kid, we lived across the street from my school and I remember walking over to check the list to see which class I was going to be in for the next year.

Since my birthday is in August, I used to get clothes for presents, which really ticked me off. My sister would also get back to school clothes, but not as a double duty gift, so I was pretty sure I was being ripped off somehow!
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I remember the pre-school rituals the most. The BIG school clothes shopping trip and the school supplies shopping trip. Your notebook was so important, it defined who you were . And of course, you had to have the cool characters for your lunchbox

• New Waver

Two words....Traper Keeper!

My school was right behind my house but there was a big wall around the apartment complex I lived in seperating the school from the apartments so I had to walk all the way around the block to get to it. One day I wised up and figured out that I could jump the wall and get to school a lot faster. My mom hated it because she was always scared that I was going to fall and break my head open or break a limb. I never so much as ever got a sprained ankle from it though, which looking back is a bit of a miracle since I remember the top of the wall being covered with ice half the time! At one point all the kids in my neighborhood started copying me and started going over the wall too! The pirncipal of my school was not to happy about this and so she banned the kids from going over it. I stoped for a few months then started over the wall again and no one ever bothered me about it.

When I went back there a few years ago I jumped the wall and could not belive that I could do that when I was under 5 feet tall, I am now 6'1' and had trouble getting over it!

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.
    My latest back to school memory just happened. I went and paid my tuition. Ouch!
    Amen to that!