• For You!

Help! I need to plan a 7 year old boy's Birthday Party

My son is turning 7 on the 24th. We were originally going to take 3 friends to a local pizza place/arcade and turn them loose. Well over the last week, he's made 3 more friends and wants to have a bigger party. I thought of a bunch of fun outdoor things, but it's looking like the weather isn't going to cooperate.

I have to do something inside and I need ideas that I can keep under control and won't get too messy! I thought about a pinata to do under our covered patio, and maybe a movie - but I'm afraid they'll lose interest in a movie quickly.

Help!!!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Senior Minion

Re: Help! I need to plan a 7 year old boy's Birthday Party

Well, we need more info. What kinds of things does he like? Any favorites?

If it's a bunch of younger boys, i'd say you can't go wrong with putting on Star Wars to watch, but be sure to have some food and drinks out. You can still do a pinata, I think that would work.

You could try taking them to an indoor pool for awhile maybe. Or an inflatable play area for like an hour or two then come home, eat and maybe watch a movie.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• My cuties!

This website is great for ideas: http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/

Family Fun is another good resource.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd stick with the Pizza party. Just tell him you can only invite the 3 original frinds and if this party goes well next year he can have a bigger one. Or invite all 6, Pizza parties can be one of the cheaper ways to go and God Bless no clean up!

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I totally agree with aashee's plan - pizza party, if he likes pirates, Oriental Trading has a ton of pirate themed goodies.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Senior Minion

My wife, God bless her, suggests you get a copy of the "Penny Whistle Party Planner", which she says is just full of great ideas along the lines you're looking for.

And she's fostered over 20 kids, so she might know something about throwing a kids party.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    If it's a bunch of younger boys, i'd say you can't go wrong with putting on Star Wars to watch, but be sure to have some food and drinks out. You can still do a pinata, I think that would work.
    Dude Star Wars would be fun.

What you can do is have a movie on, then at various random times, pause the movie (not during the best parts though), and break out a game or something random that somehow correlates to the movie.

Examples:
    -Watching Cars, get little toy cars and have them build a track, then race cars.
    -playdough (gets out some hand energy). If you need a recipe (because homemade playdough is the bestest thing ever) I have a great recipe that tries to stimulate every sense but one (hearing) and smells sooooo good. Have the kids make something from the movie or that the characters would use.
    -wild dance party! In the middle of the movie turn off the movie and have the kids dance like the characters would (you could have the soundtrack and play that). Or at random times pause the movie and have a random dance break.
    -If you're watching Ratatouille pause the movie and have the kids help make something (that can be super easy like kabobs with bell peppers and cheese).

And you can give the kids "fidget sticks" aka pipe cleaners that keep their hands moving while watching the movie. Hope that helps.

• most magical vaca ever

Jen keep it small!!!

Theme parties are always a BIG hit!

I've had Luaus, Cinco de Mayo, Rainforest, Zoo, Pirate and Princess paries in the past. The kids really love them!

I agree, Oriental Trading is a GREAT place to order stuff

Next year my daughter wants to have an "Oscar" party, red carpet and all

Movies, popcorn, statues, directors chairs- the ideas are endless

Lots of Luck!
    ~~~~~~

• Waiting Since 1992

You could get pizza ingredients, and they could make their own personal pan pizzas or what have you. Like pizza crust, pepperoni, etc.

If you have the space for it, do the pinata because they are always a hit. If you plan on having cake, maybe you could also have a dessert they can decorate themselves like cookies or cupcakes. The icing and decorations for the dessert can be themed.

I know that may seem girly, but hands on stuff will not only take up time, it will keep them involved. You can play a movie in the background while doing these things.

Is there a video game system like a nintendo Wii that you could rent for the day and play some great interactive sports games? I know Blockbuster video used to rent them out.

I am sure 7 year old boys won't have to be entertained TOO much. I am sure they will make their own forms of entertainment, given the environment and a few starters, oh and food. Can't forget the food.

Can't wait to hear how it goes-post pics!