• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Aliens in Arizona?

More strange lights out in the Phoenix desert.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ights0422.html

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Aliens in Arizona?

Anders we were sending you homing signals so you would come back to the Zonies. Come home Anders and bring Sunnygirl, just follow the pretty lights.

• Circle of Ancients

Well of course there are aliens in Arizona! There are a lot of aliens in New Mexico, Nevada, California, and Texas too! A lot of them are legal... Many of them aren't... Oh... Wrong types of aliens...

• Hiding in the shadows

Interesting, I wish it really was aliens just so we can move on from the UFO thing...but its probably military.

A little piece of heaven

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Well of course there are aliens in Arizona! There are a lot of aliens in New Mexico, Nevada, California, and Texas too! A lot of them are legal... Many of them aren't... Oh... Wrong types of aliens...

Yeah, more people in Arizona are concerned about those type of Aliens,
    than some lights in the desert. (Just ask Sheriff Joe and Phoenix Mayor Phil)

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Interesting, I wish it really was aliens just so we can move on from the UFO thing...but its probably military.
    My guess would be ground illuminating flares dropped by military aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Oh no it wasn't military, just ask them.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Some people are claiming that they used flares tied to balloons to see what would happen.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

There is a story in the LA Times today that the Stealth fighters are going into mothball this week and they are being flown to the storage location. I can't remember if the article stated where they are going to be stored. Perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    My guess would be ground illuminating flares dropped by military aircraft.
    Its illegal for a military pilot to drop flares over a domestic civilian area, end of story. Some commercial aircraft can drop flares as a missile defense system and there systems are not as sophisticated as the militaries, and can sometime accidentally drop flares, but then again flares don't float in formation then re-configure into chevron patterns.
    So it is definitely not an issue concerning flares.
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

The neighbor saw him do it, news helicopters reported what it looked like, although we do have an alien problem in Arizona, they are not from outer space or else I am sure Sheriff Joe would be trying to get five more minutes of fame.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/n...ights0422.html

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Some people are claiming that they used flares tied to balloons to see what would happen.
    I read that too. When I first heard this story my first thought was that this was staged for publicity to refuel the 97 lights.

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    There is a story in the LA Times today that the Stealth fighters are going into mothball this week and they are being flown to the storage location. I can't remember if the article stated where they are going to be stored. Perhaps?
    Logic says no, if the LA Times ran a story then there wouldn't need to be any reason for the military to deny what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I am sure Sheriff Joe would be trying to get five more minutes of fame.
    I'm surprised he still isn't trying to get his five minutes with this even if he's joking around. He'll do anything to get his face on TV. Come on can't you just picture him saying, "I don't care if they are from south of the border or from outere space, you come here illegally and my posse will get you and send you home."
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    Its illegal for a military pilot to drop flares over a domestic civilian area, end of story.
    Yes, this is true... however...

The lights often seen in Phoenix always occur out to the west of the city. Amazingly enough, Luke AFB sits on the western edge of the city. Luke is one of the main F-16 training bases in the US.

My wife's family lived in Litchfield Park, AZ quite literally across the street from the Luke AFB main gate. The main runway was less than 1/4 mile from their house and it was always fun to watch the F-16s on training maneuvers throughout the day and into the night. Had some fun with my radio scanner as well out there.

Luke AFB and the Barry M. Goldwater Range (part of the base) cover about 1.9 million acres of the desert west of Phoenix. That's a HUGE amount of land over which they can legally drop all the flares they want.

If you check out http://www.weather.gov/view/validPro...=CLI&node=KPSR and scroll down to (or search for)April 21 2008 you will see that the prevailing winds in Phoenix on Monday night were out of the west (270 degrees) and blowing east. The lights appeared to drift to the east. Amazing how they were matching the wind.

As for rearranging themselves into chevron patters...

We are dealing with objects in 3 dimensions that at a distance appear to be 2 dimensions only. As some flares drift faster at different altitudes due to differing wind speeds and localized gusts, they are spread apart E-W as well as vertically. These changes on all six axes of freedom create patterns from a distant viewers perspective that don't really exist in reality.

This is what happens when we look at constellations. The stars of Orion, for the most part, have nothing to do with each other and often aren't even within the same spiral arms of our galaxy. They just appear to be from our point of view.

Think of fireworks. There is a type, used during the fireworks at Disneyland in the Haunted Mansion sequence, that release a bundle of flares that are very lightweight and slow burning. They linger in the air and appear to float serenely to the ground. Used in the desert, a lightweight slow-burn flare could catch updrafts and currents and easily be carried up as well as in multiple directions.

The fact that nothing showed up on radar doesn't really say anything either as commercial radars and even military versions don't show things much smaller than large birds. The shape of a flare also helps to minimize its radar cross-section further.

In science and nature, the simplest answer is consistently the correct one. Nature tends to favor the path of least resistance and for this reason the easiest answer is usually correct. UFOs involve so many complexities and odd questions that they basically rule themselves out. As you can see, there is a very simple, very logical, mundane explanation for these lights.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter