Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• RCMC BlackSmith

Be honest when you answer this question...

When you see someone just out anywhere with disabilities, do you... A)Feel really sorry for them and are extra nice to them because they have disabilities. B)Kind of laugh on the inside cause they look funny. C)Laugh out loud really loud cause they look funny. D) Just dont really notice and treat them like a regular person. I'm probbaly A). It's really sad to me.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Be honest when you answer this question...

I don't do any of those things... Dude handicapped people get my respect. Handicapable people are dealing with something I couldn't and showing strength. And those people that have guide dogs, I have a total new found respect for them. I got to walk with Pearl's older brother who a working guide dog, through a mall....

• I'm not really here

I just don't really notice. My mother-in-law is in a wheelchair and both her and my sister-in-law have diabetes and test and administer shots throughout the day. It's something that is a normal part of life with us.

Working in retail also helped me to realize that they're just regular people who just want to be regular people. If they need crutches or a wheelchair, it's really like a limb to them, a part of who they are. I don't make fun of people with legs, so I don't to people with a wheelchair/etc. either.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Man O Lantern

I taught special education and have family members with disabilities, so I treat them like I treat anyone else.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I guess I don't notice much. I treat them with respect. However I hate when handicapped think that their disability gives them a right to be rude to others and not show respect themselves.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I keep an eye on them and make sure they don't need any help. I'll run up and help if they do, other than that I see them as any other person.

• decorating

I will hold open a door or something to help out someone in a walker or wheelchair, but unless it's really really different, I don't really notice.

• RCMC BlackSmith

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I keep an eye on them and make sure they don't need any help. I'll run up and help if they do, other than that I see them as any other person.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    I will hold open a door or something to help out someone in a walker or wheelchair, but unless it's really really different, I don't really notice.
    I also try to keep an eye on them. I hold open doors for anybody anyway.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• no flash photography...

I treat them like I would anyone else.

• Winter in Oceanside...

It depends....I work with the public and meet many people with disabilities.

I had a customer yesterday that was deaf, or at least very hard of hearing. She spoke to me, and though some words were hard to understand, I thought she was brave to communicate with me. I treated her like everyone else, but I made sure to speak slowly and distinctly so she could read my lips better. So, yes, you do sometimes have to treat "handicapped" people differently.

Generally those in wheel chairs, I just make sure to help if they need something on a higher shelf.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    That's pretty much me as well.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I don't really notice and don't treat them any differently. I try to hold the door open for anyone that could use it (small kids, moms with strollers, people in wheelchairs, people carrying stuff and have their hands full, etc...) and help anyone whenever I can.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    It depends....I work with the public and meet many people with disabilities.

I had a customer yesterday that was deaf, or at least very hard of hearing. She spoke to me, and though some words were hard to understand, I thought she was brave to communicate with me. I treated her like everyone else, but I made sure to speak slowly and distinctly so she could read my lips better. So, yes, you do sometimes have to treat "handicapped" people differently.

Generally those in wheel chairs, I just make sure to help if they need something on a higher shelf.
    as far as speaking goes...sometimes totally able people have trouble hearing me. I talk to fast for them, but I truly talk at a normal speed for where I live. I notice other areas of the country talk slow and can't understand me sometimes. In that case I talk slower and enunciate better...so it is treating everyone the same. If a short person needs something off the top shelf I get it for them just like I would someone in a wheelchair.

• Winter in Oceanside...

That seems a little nit-picky... but okay. I guess if you want to put it that way.

• Mischievous Mouse

I reflect on how fortunate I am. I guess I do feel sorry for them a bit, life isn't fair, foresure.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast