Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

TMJ - is anyone else a sufferer?

Currently, my jaws hurt like a mother! The reason for this bout - wine. Whenever I drink wine, for some strange reason, I end up with major TMJ pain. I had wine for dinner and BAM there was that sharp needle in the jaw pain I hate.

Sometimes drinking from a martini glass does it as well. Also, if try drinking a thick drink from a straw, like a milkshake, or a pina colada, it hurts.

Chewing repetetively also does me in.

Anywone else a TMJ sufferer? What do you do to allieviate the pain?

I haven't found anything to make the pain stop, other than stop doing what it is I was doing to make them sore, and taking Tylenol. Eventually it subsides, but until then - YEEOCH!!!

• My cuties!

Re: TMJ - is anyone else a sufferer?

Strange that drinking wine would trigger your TMJ.

• Banned User

I have it in association with another condition called fibromyalgia. Mostly, I take Advil and....Vicodin!

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

ONut this sounds more like you have cavity or exposed nerve. Go see a dentist.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Currently, my jaws hurt like a mother! The reason for this bout - wine. Whenever I drink wine, for some strange reason, I end up with major TMJ pain. I had wine for dinner and BAM there was that sharp needle in the jaw pain I hate.

Sometimes drinking from a martini glass does it as well. Also, if try drinking a thick drink from a straw, like a milkshake, or a pina colada, it hurts.

I haven't found anything to make the pain stop, other than stop doing what it is I was doing to make them sore, and taking Tylenol. Eventually it subsides, but until then - YEEOCH!!!
    It's not TMJ, go to a dentist.

12/18 TC DAY

• Sailing Away

Is the pain around your teeth or up near your ear? TMJ pain is usually more associated with ear pain and facial muscle pain. If the pain is around your teeth or lower jaw, it is probably more of a tooth related problem. If you grind your teeth at night, or have noticed clicking or popping of the joint, it may be more of a TMJ problem. Have your dentist take a look at it. Some people with TMJ issues wear night guards while they sleep, and it helps in some.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm happy to say I agree with MC & TJ. Those no not sound like classic symptoms of TMJ. Teeth problems are easily fixed. TMJ surgury is a mess, doesn't always work and it's a bear getting it covered by insurance. Good Luck, let us know.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

My bout with what I think is TMJ is when I yawn or open my mouth, I get a knot in my underside of my jaw and I can't close my mouth........and I actually have to open my mouth wider and massage the underside of my mouth/jaw until I can get it to close. It's uncomfortable.....

I haven't actually been formally diagnosed with TMJ, but a close friend of mine has and I discussed my symptoms with her and she said what I have is TMJ. Thankfully, I don't have many bouts with it like I did nearer to 2000.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

No, it's not teeth pain, it's jaw pain near my ears. And according to my dentist, it is a form of TMJ that I have. And DD, that's exactly what I have to do to make it feel better. I massage it for a while and that helps, in addition to the Tylenol.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think it's the WAY I drink wine/martinis, from those glasses. I tend to clench my jaws more because of the way the glass is shaped. Plus I'm used to drinking fast, so when I drink strong drinks, I clench so as not to gulp. Did that make sense? And it doesn't happen every time I drink, that's plainly clear if you know me

Anyway, as I said, it's not a tooth issue.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I have been a long time sufferer of TMJ. I am a teeth clencher, and when stressed, it is much worse. Chewing a lot of hard stuff (tortilla chips) or chewy stuff is not good. I have never heard of TMJ flaring up from drinking wine, or drinking anything. Liquid is not known as being tough on the jaw.

You'll know if you have it bad when your jaw locks.

Hi, I have TMJ and here are a few things that have helped over the years.

Support your jaw when you yawn. Put your hand under your chin and 'manually' do not let your jaw open all the way.

Learn how to relax your jaw from the hinge, before you are 'in trouble'. For me, that means bring my lower jaw down and forward so my teeth are more lined up. Then take a sip of your drink.

Have your dentist make you a night guard. I found that the traditional thick night guard INCREASED my pain, but that a thin guard, similar to the kind used to bleach your teeth, was great. It creates a little distance between my back teeth and prevents some of the 'locking'. My husband and I wear our guards during the day if we know it is going to get 'clenchy' (long distance driving, etc.), it is a glimpse into the future of our both having dentures

Avoid your triggers, just like having a food allergy or similar, you're going to have to decide if it is worth it to partake. Things like bagels and french bagette-type bread really make me miserable, I still indulge occasionally, but I do so knowing there is going to be a price to pay.

Well, that's all. Good luck.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    I found that the traditional thick night guard INCREASED my pain,
    Me too!!!! I just gave up on them altogether. I'll have to ask about the thinner one.

Love french bread and it is so bad!

• Banned User

The more I've thought about it, the more I think it's the WAY I drink wine/martinis, from those glasses..
    Have you tried a sippy cup?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm not a wine drinker, so I wouldn't know. But sometimes when I chew gum for too long my jaw will get pretty tired and be a little sore for awhile.

• Found my prince!

Thumbs up Re: TMJ - is anyone else a sufferer?

Talk to your dentist about a night guard. I grind and clinch my teeth at night so I wear one that fits on my front teeth. It covers about 4 of them. It works great and feels much better than the ones that fit on all your teeth. There is a special name for it but I cant think of it at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast